1. Not old. Vintage. :)

A neat slice of Robofruit pi

Discussion in 'SIG: Games (PC, Console)' started by Andy Barr, Sep 14, 2020.

1. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Hi, guys.

A few months back both my Pi unit and one belonging to a friend in Cambridge took a dive due to file system corruptions on their SD card MAME menus etc. Weird how they both seemed to be struck simultaneously despite being physically apart but there you go...ours is not to reason why.

Anyway, I got a couple of replacement memory cards and set-about restoring the menus/game ROM dirs etc etc and after about 6 months of "tossing it off" (first batch of SD cards wouldn't play ball) I also noticed a button had come adrift on the original unit.

To cut a long and tedious story short, your mate and mine - Robofruit Al Robinson - after giving me a fair bit of advice on how to go about the restoring of the games menus offered to give the unit an overhaul and revamp and lo and behold, my mate in Cambridge got a brand new clear unit which i understand he is delighted with:

[​IMG]

Further, my mini machine is now up and running and I said to Al that i would give him a plug on here just to pass on once more my grateful thanks for his time and efforts and to show you guys once more (I think I posted a thread on the old Atari Sector) how this little gizmo works just in case you were thinking of getting/making one.

I will update this thread with more pics/vids when I get a mo but as you can see herewith, I intend to give it some hammer when all the dust - literally - settles this end after the works below (just check the dust patches on this gear!)

[​IMG]

Once more, cheers, Al - yer a gent - where would we be without such helpful and resourceful (not to mention skilled and knowledgeable) guys like you in the retro gaming community??

Attached Files:

2. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    OK, you pi fanatics - yes, you sir and your dog - listen up, here is the Andy Baz Pi action this side of the pond tonight...

We're getting some really strong boot screens...

upload_2020-9-14_18-12-54.png

upload_2020-9-14_18-13-17.png

upload_2020-9-14_18-13-40.png

upload_2020-9-14_18-13-56.png

...and then Bev filmed this major mashup featuring a pathetic player and geriatric gamester:

Klyde likes this.
  3. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Coming up next, can you guess who is also crap at Centipede?!

upload_2020-9-15_0-35-40.png

Klyde likes this.
  4. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Yep you got it... another video nasty:

How NOT to play Centipede.

Klyde likes this.
  5. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Definitely dodgy at Defender, dudes:

But at least filming on this "production" was "on the level".

Klyde likes this.
  6. by Klyde
    Klyde

Klyde Cabin Boy

Blog Posts:
    Ey op!
    Your videos reminded me that I also have got a Pi but I don't use it very much... Maybe I prefer the "genuine" machines I guess?
    Anyway, maybe I'll give another look at it soon, its advantages are being tiny and giving a pixel-perfect picture. I did not try the A8 emulation so far with it, but definitely will!

Don't give it up, Andy, I am pretty sure you can save them from crashing down in Defender!!

Andy Barr likes this.
  7. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    LOL! Thanks for the vote of confidence, Klyde, and so good to see you active and back on the forum, buddy!

I think the arcade emulation is very strong and as you say, the kit is very small it's just the usual cabling everywhere that can't be avoided but what's the solution - huge, bulky, original wooden arcade cabs or wireless?! I'm not sure. If I had a proper mancave garage set-up then I would give my right arm for a proper Defender unit or maybe say a full length original Bally pinball table but here, right now, size and space matters so I'll stick with a neat bit of mini Pi!

Manu, I have discovered that I am quite good at Frogger so maybe a little play through clip of me on that game clearing a few screens and saving Kermit, peut-etre?

Hehe. Have a good evening and we must catch up soon with a phone call, mate.

Best wishes to Isabelle.

A&B.