1. Not old. Vintage. :)

ALAN WILDER...DEPECHE MODE...SPLICING & BBC MICROs!

Discussion in 'SIG: Music' started by Andy Barr, Aug 19, 2020.

1. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Hi, guys.

We don't seem to have so many discussions on here about "electronic" or synthesised music but one of my fave bands of all time are Depeche Mode.

The DM community seem split on which era they consider the band at their best but most agree that they are not quite the same since Alan Wilder quit in 1995 when the band developed a lot of "inner turmoils".

Here he is talking candidly, frankly and expressively in an interview a few years back and I made the edit where A.W. discusses old fashioned manual tape splicing, a BBC Micro the band used and basically, Alan's reflections on some of the band's hits which he made major contributions towards the sound and production of.

Basically, there's only ONE Alan Wilder, if you're into Depress Mode!

Comments, please.

Graham and Vyper68 like this.
  2. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    I do like DM and Violator is one of my top 10 Albums...

Graham and Andy Barr like this.
  3. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    I have all of their albums to date and I should add that I also think that something was missing after he left as well so I would be in that camp.

4. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I like DM, never owned an album by them, but that doesn't mean anything, I own very few albums of bands/groups I like; I spent most of my money on Atari stuff instead of music back in the day! Though it was probably about the time Alan Wilder left DM that I stopped keeping up with popular music, so I may never have heard much from the band after that.

@Vyper68 , just curious about you thanking Paul for Encounter! and Mercenary in your signature...I love the games, but did he die or...?

5. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Sadly, Paul Woakes passed away in 2017 after a short illness I am a massive fan of the Mercenary series of games and also Encounter as well and he was a bit of a programming idol when I was young along with Archer Maclean and Andrew Braybrook.

Graham, M.D.Baker and Andy Barr like this.
  6. by AlexDrito
    AlexDrito

AlexDrito Galley Slave

Blog Posts:
    I'm a big fan of DM too, and like many others, just after Alan Wilder left I used to miss something in their music. I used to prefer DM productions with him on board. But Martin Gore wanted to turn to a more rock version of their musical path, so Alan's space within the band got more limited than before. It's a shame he couldn't do much on his "solo" career (Recoil) or as a producer. Thanks for posting this, Baz.

Andy Barr and Vyper68 like this.