1. Not old. Vintage. :)

Amiga Floppy Disk Drive for PC/WINUAE

Discussion in 'SIG: 8-Bit Hardware' started by AlexDrito, Jan 3, 2022.

1. by AlexDrito
    AlexDrito

AlexDrito Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Not exactly an 8-bit topic, but it's still retro hardware. I've just discovered this new solution which transforms an external USB disk drive into an ADF/SCP compatible device. You can easily connect it to a PC running Windows and WinUAE and have a fully functional Amiga disk drive able to read/write Amiga disks, both public domain or original/protected. The project is relatively easy to build on your own, if you, unlike me, can handle a solder in your hands without destroying the whole neighborhood in flames. Here follow the links to a fellow UK technician/hacker website where the details of the project fully appear and to a Youtube video with a test on the road of the real thing.

https://amiga.robsmithdev.co.uk/instructions

You can even subscribe to a waiting list and buy the assembled kit for 25 quid + shipping. I've done this but my position is now a discouraging 4245 place. Even though 40% of the subscribers do not really intend to buy the kit, that's a looooong wait for me to go. :)

But... since here on AOC we have some talented and skilled technicians who can squeeze blood from a turnip, maybe we can find the necessary parts to build a couple of kits... n'est-ce pas, @Klyde? ;-)

Let me know what you think about this solution. Personally, I find it "revolutionary" for Amiga owners and fans.

Vyper68, Klyde and Andy Barr like this.
  2. by Klyde
    Klyde

Klyde Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Very interesting, thank you for sharing @AlexDrito !

Yes it is a relatively easy project, but looking at the various steps, a load of wires to solder! I first thought it was a spaghetti recipe :D

I'll keep the project in mind and maybe one day I could try it.

Andy Barr and AlexDrito like this.
  3. by AlexDrito
    AlexDrito

AlexDrito Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Yes! When I first saw this project I thought about you since you were so gentle to build some UNO2IEC devices for me. BTW I hope you also made good use of that interface with your C64. The Amiga project is also based on Arduino... Didn't notice all those wires to solder, but, talking about spaghetti, I can promise a real "spaghetti alla carbonara" plate for you the first time we meet... :)

Klyde and Andy Barr like this.
  4. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    What are you waiting for, Manu?!

I'll bring Bev along too and we'll all dine in style at chez Daz and Carla's.

I just lurve spaghetti alla carbonara (so long as it isn't covered in SOLDER!!!)

PS. Daz - any arrivals at your Roma address of late? I'm thinking some Commodore stuff?

AlexDrito and Klyde like this.
  5. by AlexDrito
    AlexDrito

AlexDrito Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Oh it would be great if you all could travel to Lugano and have a dinner together! Manu and Isabelle, Andy and Bev, me and Carla - Italian food, rigorously (no offense, Manu)! :)

Actually we're planning something for this year (if virus variants allow) to go to Paris and UK too. Our daughters never been in Paris before and I'd like to show them. They've been in London a couple of times and it was fun. But only I have been in the Northern UK (Manchester, Huddersfield, York, Bolton). Let's hope we all can travel safe in the next few months or during summer.

P.S. Nothing arrived in Rome, set aside the Dragon32 from Richard and a A/V cable for it from eBay. I was just about to ask you, maybe something went wrong. Can you track it? Commodore stuff?? I'd love it!!!

Klyde and Andy Barr like this.
  6. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Oh dear, Daz.

I sent it weeks ago now - well before Xmas...it was within a day or so of when I checked addresses with you in a PM, mate.

I doubt I will even have the receipt / proof of posting as the period before 25 December was that manic with one thing and another, I just stuffed receipts either in pockets, the car or on a shelf but I will try and retrieve the information but it was not sent tracked as it would have been too expensive for me, buddy.

We can only hope it's got delayed - it's a small to medium sized box and it's 100% guaranteed Commodore stuff.

Fingers crossed and not the end of the world if it has been lost - it just would have been interesting for you, I think...

7. by AlexDrito
    AlexDrito

AlexDrito Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    My fault, Andy, I should have given the mail address of a postal service in Italy, near the border. I am so sorry. I have warned my mother so that she can check new arrivals, hopefully, as you said, it's just delayed. And of course it's not the value per se, it's the fact that comes from you. Commodore stuff? I'm in!

Andy Barr likes this.
  8. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    No, no-one's fault, Daz.

We must just keep hoping that something turns up and remain optimistic.

Nothing is so serious that it is beyond repair in the retro world - much better we keep us and our families in good health and try and spread some happiness to one another where we can.

If this parcel does get lost, we will try again with another, my friend.

Once more, thank you for all your kindness and understanding and take good care, Daz and family - especially of mums as mine has just been admitted to hospital.

Take care, guys.

Baz.

9. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Captain

Blog Posts:
    I've been following this on the Winuae forum over the months, it was initially thought that it would be impossible to do but Rob etc just carried on and this beauty arrived. Because I have no real Amiga disks now it's not for me but it's a huge step forward.

AlexDrito likes this.
  10. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    They had something similar (perhaps it was this) on RMC Youtube channel a couple of months ago. Really impressive stuff.

11. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    RMC?

Retro Man Cave?

12. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    That's it Paul. Though he just goes by the initials instead now. More politically correct I suppose! :banghead:

13. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    And yes, it was that thing on the RMC show..

nysavant likes this.
  14. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    What do you think of the new Cave he has put together? I'm going to visit when I head down south in May.