1. Not old. Vintage. :)

Amstrad CPC M4 expansion

Discussion in 'SIG: 8-Bit Hardware' started by Vyper68, Jul 25, 2020.

1. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Hi
    I have just had delivered a new M4 card for my CPC. In short it gives you WiFi and SD Card storage along with the ability to use a web browser to drag and drop files onto the card and upload extra ROM images virtually and map them to slots. Would you like to know more?

AlexDrito and Graham like this.
  2. Graham

Graham Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Of course we would ...

AlexDrito and Vyper68 like this.
  3. Klyde

Klyde Cabin Boy

Blog Posts:
    Sure! Go ahead!

AlexDrito, Vyper68 and Graham like this.
  4. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    The SD card bit is nothing new, in general vintage computing, but the wifi and web browser (If I understand correctly is running on the CPC?) that interests me greatly.

Since I hope to own a CPC one day, I'm definitely interested.

I'm also interested in Fujinet, a wifi and online solution for the Atari that is in the beta testing stages right now and I believe anyone can DIY the hardware at this point, but I don't think anybody is selling yet. Although it's something I haven't looked into much, mainly because I can do nothing about it until I get my computers working right, so I figure I'd learn all about it at that time. But one can connect to the web and download files to whatever device you want, I believe. And I think it's a web browser too, though how command line driven vs. icons and dragging and dropping, I don't know. And as far as getting online on Atari's, there is Plato as well, again, I haven't really learned about it yet either.

Vyper68, Graham and AlexDrito like this.
  5. by AlexDrito
    AlexDrito

AlexDrito Galley Slave

Blog Posts:
    I've got one of those m4 myself too. I bought it months ago after being advised by a good friend in Rome. I still have to test it completely, for the moment I just used a library of games that my friend Andrea was so kind to pass. He's tested all the games and discarded those incompatible. Of course this archive is available to you vyper or whoever ask me. I'd like to read about your experience with that peripheral, especially with wifi and browser.

Vyper68 and Graham like this.
  6. Graham

Graham Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    I'd hazzard a guess that a more modern ARM like prosseror is used for the browser, like ESP8266 or ESP32 but I'll have a search

7. Vyper68

Vyper68 Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    The web browser is on a PC, you log into the M4 from your browser of choice by typing the IP address of the M4 in and from there you can change settings like the .ntp server, DNS servers, upload ROM, Cart and Disk images from your PC to the SD card on the fly and manage directories and files as well.
    There is a Telnet client as well now so you can log into BBS’es as well. If you have an additional 512KB of RAM you can also run an alternate OS called SymBOS which is a Z80 multitasking windowed OS... list goes on.

8. Graham

Graham Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Well I’m intrigued, I'll have a look as see what the Atari version of wifi is doing.