1. Not old. Vintage. :)

Anyone here got an XL psu spare..

Discussion in 'SIG: Atari 8-Bit Hardware' started by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine, Nov 17, 2020.

1. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I thought I had 3 but remember that one was an ingot and the other one went missing. Trouble is I'm selling the 65XE and it needs to go with one which leaves me with no PSU.

If anyone has a cheap one (not ingot) let me know please.

I was thinking of getting one of those USB ones but I have no clue as to how reliable they are are and kind of worried about drawing so much off my DELL psu, I already get lover load warnings via my powered hub on occasions.

I always bugger it up!

Thanks for looking fella's, no worry if you don't..

Andy Barr likes this.
  2. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I'll have a look in the old power department, mate.

It will probably be the weekend though before completing my search as the 8BitBaz cave under the stairs is now in 10-15 boxes of heaped stuff up in the attic.

Hang on in there, fella and hopefully I'll have something powering through to you in December as a wee stocking-filler shaping up this end... NO, NOT OUR BEV!!

3. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Andy, it's appreciated

Andy Barr likes this.
  4. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    If you get stuck I can make you a PSU lead. All you would need is a modern 5v centre positive power supply, you can get a 2A one for around £8. The lead I would make would just plug into the DC jack of the PSU and go into the DIN socket of the Atari.
    I use one myself and it works fine, it’s a 4A one which is overkill for the Atari but I also use it for running Ammy’s with interfaces plugged in.

5. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Will update both you chaps later - I think I have such a modern switching PSU which I could send to you Richie, to adapt and send to Paul - we'd just need a spare DIN on the end... doubt I'd have that bit.

6. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Please gents, don't be going to so much trouble. I was just hoping someone had a spare PSU that they would let go at a sane price :)

Andy Barr likes this.
  7. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Alternatively, I have the din lead from an old ingot so if you send me the circuit for this mod I can make it up here..No cost involved. I think I have some 5V DC psu's here and as almost all are centre pin positive in my spares box I should be good to go....

Andy Barr likes this.
  8. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I once did a walkthrough thread on the old Atari Sector on how to make a new Atari 8bit replacement PSU from a modern 5v switching PSU but of course all that's gone to the great recycle bin in the sky but there must be a wee clip on You Tube or some such website... just a tick - it really is a doddle, Paul as I have next to no electronics know how and I managed it... hang on a tick...

9. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the video Andy...

Related, I also realised I had a spare C64 git from a deal with your mate Andy, mr Non Talker (not a dig at you Andy, he just vanished) :)

Anyway, it came with no PSU so there I thought, maybe there's the same sort of fix for it so hit EbleedUdry, sorry Ebay. First off were pretty over priced self made PSU's and then REALLY over priced old genuine ones but the ones they have are the C64 version of the ingot. Like the ingot its in epoxy and suffers from the 5V line going way over after time..

So off to YT and there's people making them up for cheap with video's and that's when I discovered how stupid some sellers are on Ebay, the psu has 5V DC and 9V AC, so you put in 9V AC PSU and you get hundreds, problem is that they are 9V DC but list AC because of the mains power side..

Takes a while to actually find an AC all around one and the price unless via ALiexpress isn't wonderful and with Aliexpress you could get caught out the same way because of their dire descriptions.

So, basically you get a 9V AC psu, a 5V DC both around the 2 - 3 amps and strap them together on to one din plug.

Bloody life, neither easy or cheap..Not a huge job, some soldering and heat shrinking but why oh why does someone not just do a ready made sensible price one..There coin to be had..

Vyper68 and Andy Barr like this.
  10. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Paul - just located all the parts you need - just attach the DIN to the 5v switching supply correctly and you're away, fella:

upload_2020-11-22_20-39-38.png

11. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    That's really kind of you, what do I owe you?

Andy Barr likes this.
  12. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Exactly nowt, Paul.

I will post it out to you later this week, mate.

Afraid you'll have to suffer the 1st pre-festive/emptive launch and arrival of Baz's retro-retarded micro Christmas Card for 2020.

All I ask is you open that part of the parcel - with your wee gift - nearer the "Big Day" so as not to "spoil it" (LOL!) for the other guys as theirs will probably be sent out early the week after.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Vyper68 likes this.
  13. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Your flexo disk is all wrapped and ready to go, it's one thing ebay has done, made me more post efficient. There's even a card (very small) in it

Vyper68 and Andy Barr like this.
  14. Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Paul,

Your parcel is good to go tomorrow, fella.

Can I just double-check if you need the Atari DIN part of an old lead to go with the new PSU I'm sending, as I recall you saying:

" I have the din lead from an old ingot"

so shall I keep my spare or do you need it including with the more modern 5V switching PSU?

No worries if you do - just holler!

Brr, parky out toneet, fellas. Just come across a party of penguins waddling along out and about in their jumpers, fur coats, scarves & gloves - stay toasty, I said.

15. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Andy if its not a problem could you send the lead, the reason is, I say I have the lead which I'm I'm quite sure I have but I've been wrong about a few things recently so doubting myself a bit.

If I do have the lead then I'll happily send it back to you but I'm having a bit of a strangle old time of things so want to make sure I'm covered...

Hopefully your lil old record should be with you asap, it, like Elvis, has left the building...

And thank you again..

Andy Barr likes this.
  16. Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    It's good, me ole muckah.
    Not a problem.
    My "out of memory" errors get more numerous by the...

...Out of data in line 110.

17. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Cheers me old mate...

Will return if I find my one, I'm pretty sure I do have one......

Must try and muster a video group chin wag at Xmas...Before the booze!

Although after could be more of a laugh :)

nysavant likes this.
  18. Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Hi, Paul.

Parcel away and now heading your way so keep an eye out next week for a Baz pre-Xmas goodies delivery.

Yeah, we should do another retro video conference style thingymajig with as many assorted festive or festering Atarian members as can be mustered.

They were quite enjoyable back in April-May and then they seemed to fizzle out when folks were busy on Sundays with other things but let's try rebooting that media method and by all means, I'm talking to the Atari anarchists amongst you, break out the sherry-filled mince pies and chocolate liqueurs beforehand to really liven things up a tad!

You guys should also board-up your letterboxes in the next week or two n'all or else suffer the same fate as Mac with his incoming 8bitBaz paltry parcel.

You have been warned!

[​IMG]
    Get "smashed" on a box of these this Chrimbo and join the
    Atari Owner multimedia mash-up on yer 2400 baud modem...

19. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Ha ha...Ahead of the game on that...I don't really drink spirits but I do love those, its my one intake of choccy as well..

Meet my fridge :)

[​IMG]

Andy Barr likes this.
  20. Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    LOL!

Trust Mac to be ahead of the game.

You got it sorted there alright, me old mate.

My top tip is to pour the whole lot into a pint glass and stir well as you add a hot lager to the mix a la:

Here's one Paul prepared earlier:

upload_2020-11-27_18-1-39.png

21. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    And yes, as a festive thing a group meet up on line would be nice, a bit of post (or depending on how we react, pre lockdown) jollyness would be great...

Re the sweets above, 6 bleeding quid for the long one..Over 50p a tiny tiny slurp...

Rip off Britain!!

Thank you for the parcel Andy, yours must have turned up by now..

Andy Barr likes this.
  22. Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    You're welcome,mate.

No, there are 2 parcels arrived here today but both for Bev (who's still at work at the hossie - waiting for her pick-up text - I wouldn't mind but she went in at 5.30 this morning...)

No worries, Paul - Andy Vulcanman sent me a parcel from just down the road in Lincoln a few weeks back and it's only just arrived - took 2 weeks to get here having travelled an amazing.... mere 48miles!! ;-)

23. Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    PS. Some top tips here for looking good if you're going to be doing a bit of Zooming, Teams or Google Meeting etc - after all, you don't want to alarm your pals when that camera starts rolling...