1. Not old. Vintage. :)

Atari Lynx restoration: glass case eye candy no more!

Discussion in 'SIG: 8-Bit Hardware' started by M.D.Baker, Jan 10, 2022.

1. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Well, among my many on-going projects (a couple are just about to wrap up) I've started a full restoration of my non-functional Lynx II I'd had around in boxes or my glass display case the last 20 years. The last three, at least cleaned up, and on display.

While rummaging through the internet for Coco 2, Bally Astrocade and 7800 toys, three other on-going restoration or upgrade projects, I stumbled across the now decade or more old Lynx LCD screen and VGA out kit. The last time I looked into getting this kit, and other parts needed for a complete over-haul, hopefully curing any and all ills in one fell swoop, was about 6 or 7 years ago, either just prior too, or just after I joined Atari Sector where I met many of you. At that time it was about a $250 kit, so I declined on getting it as the Lynx is third favorite among my Atari systems, and about 6th or 7th over-all among computers, consoles and hand-held systems.

But the price this time around was about $75! The other over-haul components I have on hand. I've dis-assembled it entirely, which is required for the installation of the new LCD screen anyway. I have started replacing motherboard components, but while the Lynx was apart anyway, I did a thorough cleaning inside and out, and used Rejuvenate surface restoration on the entire Lynx, including the plastic screen shield/protector as it works like auto head-light restoration products too, hiding years of scratches and abrasions to reveal the original clarity of the plastic screen. In the meantime I also printed up and 3D Lynx holder/stand and used my Testor's enamel model paints to paint the stand. I mixed an orange color to match as closely as possible by my failing eye sight, the Lynx's orange name and text. I mixed up so much yellow and red before I got it right that I had to paint most of the stand orange to use it up.

20220109_134022.jpg 20220109_134038.jpg 20220109_134105.jpg 20220109_134116.jpg

Klyde, Andy Barr and nysavant like this.
  2. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Captain

Blog Posts:
    Lol Matt, you never stop doing great projects, long may they continue my friend.

Looks real sweet too..

Must admit I am not a Lynx fan, I was given a huge pile of stuff from Bob's family and there was a Lynx with carry case and loads of carts, didn't do a thing for me so swapped a swap with Andy's mate, Shaun who wanted it for his son. As usual, I was just happy to see it getting used, but the swap was a good one, think it was the PS2 with HD I got and few other bits. Andy knows what the swaps are like, just fill a box with goodies and see what you get ;)

Andy Barr and M.D.Baker like this.
  3. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Looks good Matt. Big Lynx fan, was always my favourite handheld until the PSP came on the scene. I'll get another one eventually!

M.D.Baker and Andy Barr like this.
  4. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Brill work, Matt.
    Once more, well persevered with the colour mix, pal.
    Totally in agreement with Paul and Al.
    Lovely little machine and sometimes these handhelds make great swap deals too as Paul points out.

M.D.Baker likes this.
  5. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    The LCD screen upgrade arrived today, so I'll be installing it shortly.

I had also ordered a scart plug for my new Coco 2/Dragon graphic board that has scart out for RGB and composite video (needed for software that uses NTSC artifact colors, which is a LOT of the Coco). So I'll be making a Scart to composite RCA/audio RCA/DB15 connector cable. (the DB15 connector will plug into my RGB2VGA converter/upscaler and have a VGA picture, just like with my Atari Jaguar, original Xbox and soon Bally Professional Arcade. And, of course my Lynx will now have VGA video too, and my Dreamcast already has VGA and my 800CX has VGA capability, but is currently using DVI2HDMI output. All my vintage systems will now be either VGA or HDMI video, though depending on the system, the VGA can start out as VGA, RGB, S-video/Composite as I have VGA converters for all of it. I also have S-video/composite to HDMI converter.

6. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Lynx II's are selling on average for about $200 these days, and ones with the LCD screen & VGA upgrade are selling for around $350 and up, depending on cosmetic condition.

7. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    The screen mod takes it to a whole new level. Such a crisp picture. My mate had (maybe still has) one in his shop a while ago.

8. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I still want to get a Ben Venn LCD screen for my Lynx II, I need to open it to check the motherboard revision first but I did get a Ben Venn SD cart and that was an excellent choice. I can play all the original games and any free home brew games. Some of the original games can be a bit expensive, I have around 30 carts for my Lynx but things like Desert Strike cost quite a lot of money. With the Lynx SD cart I was able to finally try the Alien Vs Predator demo as well.

Klyde and M.D.Baker like this.
  9. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Can you post a link to the Lynx SD card? I know of the Game Drive at AA for $100, is that what you are referring too or is there another device?

10. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine