1. Not old. Vintage. :)

Atari ST wanted

Discussion in 'Looking to Adopt' started by Vyper68, Dec 26, 2021.

1. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Okay so my hunt for a 800XL isn’t going so well and I do have an expanded 65XE already sooooo..
    I am after an Atari ST either a STFM or STe and either a 520 or 1040 model. Disk drive doesn’t need to be operational but would be nice.
    Cash waiting or swaps available peeps so check your cupboards :)

Andy Barr likes this.
  2. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Captain

Blog Posts:
    Best of luck Richie, I don't have an ST any more, sold it a couple of years ago..Hope someone can help.

Andy Barr likes this.
  3. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    I'm the same, Rich - used to have a spare 520STFM - went out the door for about £20 2-3 yrs ago.

I thought you had a couple of guys on here about to sort you with an 800XL - Klyde and Alex?

4. by AlexDrito
    AlexDrito

AlexDrito Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    I didn't check for the 800XL so far, sorry @Vyper68, I'll do that soon. I certainly have a spare Atari ST, no 520, only 1040 (STF or STE). I'm ok with swaps. Will look for a fitting ST tomorrow.

Andy Barr and Vyper68 like this.
  5. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes see ST's cheap on EBay as well Richie. They never seem to sell for anything near the price of Amiga, especially the STFM.

If you get one, do you have anytihng planned for it yet? Mine has been a bit ignored but I want to try changing that next year and get a hard drive device to play around with. Although I've got an Amiga, the ST was my first 16 bit computer and I have a massive soft spot for it. Even built up my first business around it, selling and setting up the machines and running a Public Domain library. Great times :)

AlexDrito and Andy Barr like this.
  6. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    I got my ST in a bundle of Amiga stuff, turned it on twice and it just sat there as I had little interest in it (hence the sale). I do have an ST gamebase but I have to say that I rarely ever touch it unless Steem (st emu) gets a release.

Don't detest the ST but liked my Amiga a lot more..

Andy Barr and AlexDrito like this.
  7. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I was an ST bloke from the get-go. I picked up a 520STFM secondhand from a local game shop called “Chips” and was definitely in the ST camp until the A1200 came out. My brother got an A500 for Christmas and I have to say at the time I wasn’t impressed. I know it’s bonkers but I just didn’t like the sound on the Amiga at the time, these days I feel different of course but back then I didn’t like it.
    I wasn’t a fan of Amiga DOS and Workbench and I preferred the Atari’s GEM environment. I also had a MIDI keyboard and that was used quite a lot as I was interested in music at the time. Each to their own, I would just like another one as using Hatari or Steem is not the same.

Andy Barr likes this.
  8. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Well done, Richie, for speaking up for the ST.

Credit where credit's due - midi music was where it's strength was at and I hated all the Amiga guru meditation error crashes but for me personally, when all considered, the Amiga 500 seemed to steal the show with it's improved graphics and sound - the demos and game conversions written for the Amiga nearly always seemed to be superior, I found.

Vyper68 likes this.
  9. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    I could list a bunch of reasons not to like a machine, whereas you only need one reason to love a machine..

Simple as that, as you know I go where the good games are, no fan boys here, I just didn't see stuff I liked as much on the ST or they got ported to the Amiga and sometimes improved, mostly NOT. DOS's are divisive things, I like anything where the mouse does most of the work and both ST and Amiga had that vibe going, it certainly was a welcome change from so much typing on the C64 and Atari 8 bit. Shame Atari pitched the ST as a business machine with some games on it and yes, you could run a business from one, my mates in Strategic Software Plus ran the entire thing from an ST. Annoying because it sort of made the word game a bit dirty on the ST, something too lowbrow for the machine, which lost them sales as it could play games very well.

What is nice about the ST is that it's ideal for modders like yourself, a nice open architecture just waiting for devices to be wired on to it.

Hope you find one Richie and do something amazing on it..

Andy Barr likes this.
  10. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Nothing wrong with the ST (well sprites and hardware scrolling might have been nice, 1 sprite for the mouse pointer was daft), it was a good machine but for me, pitched badly. Had they pitched' all around entertainment system then I think more would have treated it for games. but as you say, it carved a healthy niche with the midi side, the then go to midi machine.

Andy Barr likes this.
  11. by Klyde
    Klyde

Klyde Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    As an ST fan, I have got several units (520 & 1040STF, 520STE, Mega ST2, SF354 external floppy disk drive), but they are all AZERTY and French TOS.

I can sell you a 520STF or 1040STF if you want one of them, but maybe you would have to consider changing the keyboard and/or TOS. Once again, not a good deal for someone in the UK... You better should have a look on Gumtree maybe?

Andy Barr likes this.
  12. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Careful Richie, you could start sounding like Charles Aznavour..

Vyper68 likes this.
  13. by Klyde
    Klyde

Klyde Deckhand

Blog Posts:
  14. by Klyde
    Klyde

Klyde Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Andy Barr likes this.