1. Not old. Vintage. :)

ATR 8000 [Sold]

Discussion in 'Looking to Rehome' started by Timothy Kline, May 5, 2020.

1. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Timothy Kline Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Articles:
    Andy Barr likes this.
  2. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    I always dreamed of having one, since I first heard of them, just like the the ICD MIO or the Black Box, or even those HDD's for the 800 that connect via controller ports 3 & 4 (what were they called again?).

But with the much cheaper modern devices that are more reliable it just doesn't make sense, to me, to pay the high prices for the legacy HDD solutions.

By the same token, since I happened to come across the CA 2001 with CP/M and the dIndus drives I bought from your Timothy, I just can't justify an ATR 8000 either, as it's redundant, for what I need. I know it has more to it than just CP/M, but there's nothing I need the ability for standardized peripherals on my Atari either, since it's also all legacy stuff I just don't need at this point.

I've resigned myself to have a couple great Atari systems with lots of bells and whistles, but nothing I won't put to use, no more "for collection purposes only" beyond some stuff I already have that will sit behind glass. That might change one day, if I come into a situation with a lot of disposable income. I still spend an average of a couple hundred a month for this hobby as it is, that really isn't disposable income, but I scrimp in other areas to afford a few frivalities.

Have fun spending on your hobby, Tim, but maybe a little more diversity in your collection? Isn't there any Atari 8-bit related device that you don't have already?

Timothy Kline likes this.
  3. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Blog Posts:
    Articles:
    _________

Me? I'm MORE than all set with my hoard, actually!! :rolleyes:

I do still use my ATR-8000 occasionally (I don't have the Indus GT solution at this point), but every time I see a unit go for over $300 I wonder if I should keep my pair of 8000s or not. The second one is a backup unit here, of course. I don't use the 8000 that much at all. Especially compared to how often I need $300. o_O :jawdrop:

In any case, no, I have not and do not expect to be spending ANY additional funds on my Atari interests in the foreseeable future. I simply have no need to. If ANYthing, I need to rehome most of the hoard because it is pretty much being stored and preserved but little else. :sorry:

What I am reluctant to do is to price everything at garage-sale pricing and give it all away, essentially. In my mind, it makes far more sense to hold onto things, knowing what it cost me to adopt this or that. I'd almost prefer to donate it to Goodwill or something and then claim the tax deduction over rehoming things at fire-sale and gimme-cheap prices. :eek:

But yeah, I am ABUNDANTLY set with Atari items here. :loopy:

On top of that, I still have a drawer full of Lotharek and other mods to install and enjoy. :facepalm:

--Tim

4. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Well, my piece of advice on the ATR 8000's you already have; more than once I have thought it a good time to sell items for a good price, and just a couple years later, I find I could have sold those items for 2, 3, 4 times or more than the going price when they sold. This also makes me think twice not just over possible monies lost, but that if I do sell something, I myself will probably never afford to buy it back for what I sell it for, should I miss it. Money is fleeting, Atari is for life.

I know you have to still feel the pain of sacrificing all those 1200's for a small fraction of what they were worth! The only consolation is who and what they went too. Go for top dollar, you deserve it. You've given and discounted enough away already.

5. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Blog Posts:
    Articles:
    _________

Agreed!

I did see a guy on Atari Age sell his recently for $100. A great price, but I value mine at a much higher number-- especially since I know they work already. :cigar:

--Tim

6. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I was talking to Andy the other day and I'm still squabbling with myself over what to do with extra kit, my issue is its ok to have a spare but why keep extra's but like Tim I don't want to give them away but I do want them to be used rather than sitting on top of a wardrobe..

As Baz knows I'm generous, I swapped good kit with people or simply sent stuff for others to use but we all need a bit of money as I do now, I say need, I mean it would be handy rather than NEED but I still have heartfelt pangs re losing all my stuff.

A really circular issue :)