1. Not old. Vintage. :)

BackSID C64 6581/8550 replacement

Discussion in 'Looking to Rehome' started by Vyper68, Oct 17, 2021.

1. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Hi,
    This is a brand new and tested SID chip replacement that works in a Breadbin or C64C and can work as a 6581 or 8550. Also works with the Mouse/Paddle. Comes with a 28 pin socket. Firmware updates and configuration program available online. Surplus to requirements as I have bought another ArmSID.
    £25 plus post

AlexDrito and M.D.Baker like this.
  2. by AlexDrito
    AlexDrito

AlexDrito Deckhand

Blog Posts:
  3. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
  4. by AlexDrito
    AlexDrito

AlexDrito Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Good to know there's another bird in the trees... :)

5. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I think the ArmSID is slightly better right now but the BackSID is very new. Mine is number 42 so there is room for firmware updates.

6. by AlexDrito
    AlexDrito

AlexDrito Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    It ships from the USA if I have read it well on the website. Does the shipping cost or the customs taxes have an impact on the total price to have it sent to UK or EU?

7. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Well the BackSID was $29 and shipping was $20 so it was nearly the 66% of the price of the BackSID. The shipping costs is consistent with other items I’ve bought from the USA and it’s generally well known as being very high. There was no customs charges as now the company selling the item to a person in the U.K. is supposed to be VAT registered and charge VAT on the item when they sell it.
    I just wanted to try it against the ArmSID and also have a spare for my C128, which currently has two 6581’s fitted to my SidFX board ( Game of Thrones title music in stereo sounds really good )

AlexDrito likes this.