1. Not old. Vintage. :)

Battle Chess: Commodore Amiga vs Atari ST

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by Timothy Kline, May 22, 2020.

1. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Timothy Kline Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Articles:
    Peter Fletcher:

After last night's unsuccessful attempt to get an #Amiga emulator to play an #AtariST emulator in Battle Chess on my Mac I have replaced the Amiga for #DOS. CPU DOSBox vs. CPU Hatari connected via virtual null modem on the first try. DOSBox is running faster than Hatari though. — Twitter

Kay Savetz (ANTIC Interviews) asked Peter how he was able to connect two emulated systems via null modem cable, as needed by a game such as Battle Chess.

Peter's response was a linux-based software called socat, which is linked below for those who may be intrigued by a software-based null modem cable that allows two emulated systems to connect:

https://linux.die.net/man/1/socat

--Tim
    An Atari owner

AlexDrito and Andy Barr like this.
  2. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Sorry Tim, you have transgendered poor old Kevin Savetz there :)

I'm also trying to work out the thinking behind getting multiple emulators to emulate each other to play a game.

Apart from the notion that because they exist its worth a try I can't see much point in it. Emulation as I've witnessed it from the start on home computers still suffer from the fact that its never going to be perfect simply because its always taking more cycles / time to emulate that the real hardware. You can get cycle exact but I don't think that applies to whole of the emulation but rather to certain aspects of it. It however can match stuff to an incredible degree but its simply can't be perfect let alone where we have little data about certain custom chips. So for me asking one emulator to then re emulate another system to play a game is so fraught with issues it seems a bit silly :)

Good luck tho, something written in assembler only might have a chance but the second we hit C etc etc lag will always get in there. Its one of the reasons I don't like MAME so much, they want the code to be cross platform friendly but then try to emulate extremely advanced systems that then crawl under even the most advanced PC's, why?

One dev for Mame wrote a machine code single game emulator for a fancy boat racing game (think it was Scud Racer) and it in MAME and it in his emulator was chalk and cheese, mame, frame drops galore, sound breakup and laggy controls, his emulator, constant fixed frame rate, great audio and responsive controls.

BUT although it all seems a bit silly its out there so why not try it I guess :)

Good luck on your quest...

Paula...

Andy Barr likes this.
  3. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Blog Posts:
    Articles:

I'd agree with you... except that it was Kevin's own insistence on Twitter some weeks back that people start to refer to him as Kay, over Kevin. o_O :jawdrop:

--Tima

4. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Blog Posts:
    Articles:
    To go with previous post of mine...

https://www.savetz.com/

https://twitter.com/kaysavetz?lang=en

--Tim
    ________

For me, I was happily surprised to see that someone even worked out the basic technicalities of connecting two different emulated OSes to each other, even if it's merely for proof-of-concept and/or because someone can.

The how-to is way beyond my skill set, however. :sorry:

There are a plethora of days when I wish that I'd gone Linux and not became a Windows junkie. I just wish I had grown with Linux as a platform, although distribs today are waaaaaaay more user-friendly than when I tried Red Hat long ago, when it was still free. Ubuntu wasn't even a blip on the distrib radar in those days, and everything was command line.

I should've went with Linux, I really should've. I was already familiar and comfortable with command line interfaces because of DOS, especially. MSDOS at first, then DRDOS later, before the industry forced me back to MSDOS and Windows 3.1 entered my computing life.

Anyhoo, I digress.

—Tim

5. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Then you have my sincerest apologies Tima, I don't speak a lot to Kay and he never mentioned it..

I now see Kevin / Kay as a big girls blouse :)

Love, kisses and jazz hands to all :)

Paulette

Timothy Kline likes this.
  6. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    I think its very interesting that people are trying this but its a bit of a weird idea for me...

I was raised on the early OS's and then Atari DOS, then Amiga Workbench and then MSDOS. I tried to get into Linux etc but I'd been ruined by point and click so typing Sudo blah blah just seemed like hard work.

Yes, I had been Microsofted, a cruel and punishing illness.

7. AlexDrito

AlexDrito Galley Slave

Blog Posts:
    Tim, can you point me to the specific thread or URL, if any, where that Kay offers information about connecting the two battle chess programs on emulators? I knew about socat under Linux or OS X but it would be nice to reproduce such an experiment.​

8. AlexDrito

AlexDrito Galley Slave

Blog Posts:
    Forget it, Tim, found the tweet on your first post here, just where it was supposed to be... ;-)

9. M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    I take if Battle Chess has the ability to network locally or via modem, null cable or other between two real computers? I made the attempt a few years back (thread on that defunct site) of having different Atari chess games play each other on two Atari's, but I had to make the moves for the other machine manually, for each computer. I never did finish that project, to find out which chess game was truly the smartest, it just took too long. Were any chess games released for the A8 that one could play another netorked? Even a PD game?