1. We're in the beta phase now!

CPC 6128 restoration

Discussion in 'SIG: 8-Bit Hardware' started by Vyper68, Feb 21, 2020.

1. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Cabin Boy

Blog Posts:
    Hi
    Just picked up a 6128 off feeBay and it arrived today. Quick test shows it powers on but the drive belt is shot and is in need of a good clean.
    Pictures will follow along with updates.

2. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Yay! Looking forward to a the restore!

Andy Barr, Tharkanoid and Vyper68 like this.
  3. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Timothy Kline Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Articles:
    Bring it on!

[​IMG]

Andy Barr and Tharkanoid like this.
  4. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Cabin Boy

Blog Posts:
    Here are some pictures of the CPC stripped down and the 3" Drive removed. The drive belt had snapped but luckily was in one piece. Sometimes the belt breaks down into a black goo which is a real pain to clean off. Once the belt was replaced I had to make sure the little brass pin was still in place which is the write protect pin and tends to get lot when working on these drives. I had a spare but managed not too loose the original.
    Reassembled the drive and connected back up and drive reads and works as expected so that was a good sign. I gave the keyboard a teardown and a good clean. The PCB got a dust and put the whole thing back together and a nice CPC6128 was the result. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    a with s images

5. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Very nice indeed, Richie.

That's a GRAND job and no mistake, mister - well done, mate.

I have seen those little brass capstan read / write pins on Feebay before and now I see why they are in demand... they easily get misplaced and once you've lost the little fella, you're really in the "goo" to quote you!
    Glad the drive belt hadn't completely perished and you were able to replace without a song and dance.

The CPC6128 is a smashing, quality micro which really helped to put Amstrad into the driving seat in terms of sales in the final days of the 8bit micro in the UK.

I am sure you will get a lot of enjoyment out of this machine, Richie, and it has reminded me that I must give a proper appreciation of that fine CPC464 you sent me and is well-overdue a proper screen test, software review and reminisce as this machine always propels me back to 1986-1987 when I enjoyed playing Harrier Attack and Gauntlet on it at my... local newsagents.

Happy times sorting the evening papers and having a blast with my old mate Robin...

GAME ON, RICHIE - you have a real beaut and a winner on your hands here.

PS. Your data recorder left Hull tonight.

Timothy Kline, Vyper68 and M.D.Baker like this.
  6. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    I wish my restorations were all so easy, for me. Most of the machines I acquire in need of restoration have one or both feet in the grave and it's a complete Voo-Doo resurrection needed!

Great job!

Timothy Kline, Vyper68 and Andy Barr like this.
  7. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Cabin Boy

Blog Posts:
    Yes it turned out to be less problematic than I was expecting in the end. Only the drive belt was broken in the end. Not that I am complaining about it though, I ended up with a decent 6128 and is in better nick than my last one.

8. by Klyde
    Klyde

Klyde Galley Slave

Blog Posts:
    Nice piece of British technology you have got here, Vyper. And you did a good job! Amazing how these cheaply made machines keep going after all the years...

Vyper68 and Andy Barr like this.