1. Not old. Vintage. :)

Demo mode

Discussion in 'SIG: Atari 8-Bit Software' started by Andy Barr, Oct 13, 2020.

1. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Afternoon, Atarians.

Just a short post really on the back of Andy Vulcanman requesting an ATR of the "Full" Atari graphic and sound demo and really inviting other retronauts out there to give their feedback and maybe also recommend some of their fave media moments in time, perhaps recalling where they were/what they were up to when first experiencing Atari 8bit graphic and sound demos as there must be literally 100s if not 1000s out there and just as many memories of them...

upload_2020-10-13_15-23-59.png

OK, to start the ball rolling, a couple from me including Andy's request (ATRs already uploaded to Vulcanman's original post but again given here in case you missed that).

1) ATARI GRAPHIC AND SOUND DEMO - FULL VERSION

upload_2020-10-13_15-24-48.png

There are a couple of excellent digitised scans/pictures on the demo disk - this beardy chap and a sailing boat spring to mind. I also recall Charnwood Computers (around 1986) also releasing a shedful of slide show images taken by some kit called "Computer Eyes" which Atari User covered in an article and so the world of "digital computing" was coming ever closer to us all as the 8bits dipped their first toes in the pixellated water around this era.

upload_2020-10-13_15-25-23.png
    RUN ROBOT RUN - I think everyone (especially non-Atarians) was blown away by the seemingly menacing and advancing screen-filling robot who wowed viewers back in the mid-80s. Once more, the Atari's colour palette was shown off to great effect with the different colour hues creating the illusion of depth and 3D perspective.

2) STAR TREK SPEECH DEMO

I remember Brenski sending me this back in 87-88 on a menu disk and I had to keep checking that I hadn't somehow picked-up interference from a TV channel which was broadcasting Star Trek at the same time, such was the stunning clarity. Suffice to say, I have never come across ANY 8bit sound sample to match it and I've since also encountered 100s of 16bit computer samples not as good. Nuff said!

upload_2020-10-13_15-35-32.png

[​IMG]

C'mon then, what impressed the pants off YOU? Maybe it was the Fujiboink demonstration (emulating the famous Amiga demo) or the Swan flying across the Atari fuji logo or perhaps the Lucasfilms Starship / shuttle launch gets your vote? Let's hear and see em, folks.

Attached Files:

AlexDrito likes this.
  2. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Here you go, if you can't be assed to upload the ATR but really, you can't beat this booming out of your own set-up...

AlexDrito likes this.