1. Not old. Vintage. :)

F**K International shipping!

Discussion in 'SIG: Atari 8-Bit Hardware' started by M.D.Baker, Jan 4, 2021.

1. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I get free stimulus money from the government to spend on what I like, which, finally, was going to at least be a Rapidus for my 1200XL. I didn't mind that the dollar has apparently dropped in value compared to the PLN, and the Rapidus would now cost me ~$105 instead of the ~$75 when I looked the last time, but the only way to ship out of Poland to the U.S. now is either UPS or Fedex with the economy being $50! For a board that weighs about a quarter ounce. So even though I could afford to pay, I refuse to be ripped off by shipping charges (normally, without Covid complication it could be shipped Polish air for $16).

My plans for a 1088XEL with the stainless steel keyboard are all on indefinite hold now too, because of shipping costs for all the parts!

I even found the Rapidus XE (no XL adapter board) which would be fine, I'd make it work in my XL, at The Brewing Academy, but they want $185 PLUS shipping, so even domestically I get screwed on Rapidus. I don't know why they charge so much more, they are buying in bulk after all, from Lotharek. But whatever...I did order the Fujinet from them though, so I'm getting something cool, just not what I wanted first...

I did buy my Tektronix Oscilloscope though, shipping a mere $25 here domestically, but then it's only 100 miles away too.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Graham, Andy Barr and Vyper68 like this.
  2. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Hey Matt, at least you can buy stuff from Lotharek. I wanted to get a SIDE3 but he has suspended sales to the UK due to us leaving the EU on the 31st December. AtariAge has also stopped selling to the UK due to the new tax arrangements. If you sell to someone in the UK now you need to charge VAT at point of sale and then pay that to HMRC ( presumably at the end of the UK tax year ) which I think means you need to be VAT registered.

But I agree the shipping charges are getting silly... and now we are in full lockdown again, it's going to be a long winter.

Graham and Andy Barr like this.
  3. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear, fellas.
    These outrageous rip-off postal charges hit me too in the run-up to Christmas when I discovered that the price of a book to Matt in the States would be 150%-200% of the item cost - they're just taking the piss.
    It's really going to make us think thrice now before buying our retro techno goodies... such a shame.

Graham likes this.
  4. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I really hope a work around can be found for the tax issues, its already causing havoc with additional costs and companies just not wanting the hassle of it all.

As for the Brewing Academy adding 185.00US to the price to ship internally...Shocking..

Their stuff isn't stunningly cheap as it stands, ok he's a reseller but whoah benjy....

5. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure about TBA international shipping, the price alone without shipping is $185: $5 more for the Rapidus than it would cost me to buy and have it shipped from Lotharek even with $50 shipping cost. THEN, you have to still include shipping to your destination. But no, not all their prices are so outrageous across the board; The Fujinet I ordered was $70 including case and extras. This seems to be an issue with just Polish outgoing mail as I'm waiting on ram upgrades for my two Indus GT drives from TH_FF and shipping was only about $10, and I ordered the Turbo Freezer from Greece, and IIRC it was only $10-15 for shipping. I also ordered Sophia 2 from across the pond and shipping, IIRC is less than $10 for it as well. The Rapidus is smaller and weighs less than some of these items.

Of course The Brewing Academy is shut down for a couple weeks due to a Covid outbreak among the owners apparently. They say that orders will not be shipped until late January. (after the 19th)

6. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Current
    Rapidus XL $206.89 XE $195.54
    Plus shipping...
    maybe cheaper from Mc Rorie and done with

7. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Thanks @Graham , at first I was going to ask where you got those prices from, and I decided to double check and realized I was looking at pricing for the VBXL, not the Rapidus! So if I had went ahead and purchased from Lotharek, I would have ordered the wrong thing anyway. Though I was planning on getting both eventually. So I guess when I do buy, it will be from Mc Rorie after all.

But between the Atari User magazines ($115) the Fujinet ($70) and the Oscilliscope ($100), I've spent nearly half the free money I got from my Uncle Sam. So, even though I'll get at least two thirds of the magazine money back between you and Andy, and possibly more, I think I've spent enough this time around on frivolous things for my hobby. The rest I'm spending on materials to help finish up my house interior. The Rapidus and VBXE will have to wait until the next stimulus. Congress is trying to pass another bill right now for another $1400 to the people, if that passes, I'll think about more upgrades and my 1088XEL kit.

Vyper68 and Andy Barr like this.
  8. by Vulcanman
    Vulcanman

Vulcanman Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Hi Vyper, I see Lotharek is trying to find a company to be an official reseller for him (must be GB VAT registered). This is a real pain as I wanted another Ultimate 1MB to fit to one of my 65XEs.

Also shipping costs from the States is also a real pain, plus the import duty to the UK, and the Post Office sticking its admin costs on top of everything, just ridiculous.

As you say - it's going to be a long winter.

Vyper68 and Andy Barr like this.
  9. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, from what I can gather the VAT is applied at point of sale now so in theory that means there is no import duty anymore although I don’t know about the Post Office charges for handling imported items. So now if you are outside the U.K. and sell to people in the U.K. you need to be VAT registered or do what Lotharek is doing and find a reseller in the U.K.
    Some sites and sellers have already changed over, I was looking at some Atari disks on the USA eBay site and there is an extra field on the costs section of the listing for customs duty.

Anyone fancy being setting up a company, becoming VAT registered and being a reseller?

10. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    LOL!
    If only I had time, mate, if only I had time...

11. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    And thanks to the loss of my own home I'm considered a credit risk so can't do that sort of thing...As much as I'd love to help Atari folk etc..

Andy Barr and Graham like this.
  12. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Matt if you going to build a 1088XEL at somepoint I've decided that I'm going to keep the sophia's I have (original's) and will have both a UAV and a VBXE available, that have never been used. I've also some of the connectors (not a spare SIO however) , the RAM chip etc. that would leave you to sorce a U1MB and the Mother Board. + Atari LSI's (or PokeyMax) + other board components.
    I'm not sure but don't you have to have a £250,000 turnover before becoming VAT registered ?

Andy Barr, M.D.Baker and Vyper68 like this.
  13. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Thanks @Graham , I appreciate it, if I do. No worries about SIO as I purchased half a dozen from The Brewing Academy as well as one still in my part-salvage 600XL. I'd probably go with a Pokeymax, but now that I have a Pokeymax in the 800, I do have a spare Pokey or two anyway.

Andy Barr and Vyper68 like this.