1. Not old. Vintage. :)

Groaning Shelves

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by Andy Barr, Sep 7, 2021.

1. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Yep, if these Baz cabinet display shelves could speak they'd probably be groaning under the increased weight of more and more retro "stuff" beginning to appear on them.

Now, to the untrained eye, it's now becoming log-jammed with "dust" that's threatening to spill over but to the retro enthusiast, especially the Orician amongst you, some 8bit goodness is really starting to flow (I just need MORE SHELVES, please!)

upload_2021-9-7_22-40-53.png

upload_2021-9-7_22-41-24.png

upload_2021-9-7_22-55-9.png

I definitely need to find at least another set of shelves / display cabinet.

Have a root around at yours please fellas, and any spare 70s formica display units, kindly stick in a jiffy bag and send this way!

Klyde and nysavant like this.
  2. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Andy that Philips cassette deck is almost as sexy looking as the Atmos itself!
    Was that an official Oric product?

Andy Barr likes this.
  3. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Thanks a lot, Al.

No, it wasn't but you can't half help but feel that Philips must have had the Atmos in mind when they produced it OR were there other red n black sexy beasts in the micro models world also around back in 84?

I'm struggling to think of another...

4. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Here we go with a couple more updates to the groaning shelves situation which kinda has been given new impetus from Matt's ever improving collection.

My appeal for another formica shelving unit bore fruition when someone found a 3rd unit in a box of Kellogs and sent it over so now I have plenty of shelf unit but must now elevate the Amiga and Beeb upwards off the bottom shelves as they're now just about hidden by the drawer units and the expansive exercise bike!

I've also started to laminate "fact cards" on some of the micros - trying to give it more of the micro "museum" flavour.

I may/may not stick with this. we'll see how things evolve in this burgeoning bric-a-brac collection of dubious dust!

See what you guys think with some of the new tweaks and do let me know if you've any creative / constructive suggestions, fellas:

upload_2021-9-13_23-38-22.png

upload_2021-9-13_23-39-2.png

upload_2021-9-13_23-39-26.png

upload_2021-9-13_23-40-17.png

Still very much a work in progress as I'm desperately short of space but I'm having heaps of fun just getting some of the hardware out at last from being buried in boxes in cupboards and the attic where it's usually hidden when this stuff needs playing and displaying.

At last, I'm starting to enjoy seeing and sorting and setting up ready for some major seshes.

Klyde and M.D.Baker like this.
  5. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Some more items keep appearing...

upload_2021-9-15_20-34-57.png

upload_2021-9-15_20-35-29.png

upload_2021-9-15_20-36-21.png

upload_2021-9-15_20-36-40.png

Will have to get some of this up n running next for some play testing.

nysavant and M.D.Baker like this.
  6. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Looking really good, I'm liking the additions, especially the ZX81 with the after market case and keyboard, since I've a touch of nostalgia for the ol' 81.

I also am liking your robot arm and the Atari User mag to show you how to hook it (I assume) and other stuff with the outside world! That's what I've been all about with my robot arm and my dual PIA board to add more ports! I'll have to read the PDF of that magazine and see what ideas they had too. More starting/jumping off points for my own projects, though I intend to just start with articles like these and "Arm Your Atari" in Analog and then take it to the next level!

I also like your idea of the FAQ sheets for the micros, but there must be a better way to post them, as the one for the 1200XL is blocking the view of the 1200XL!

Andy Barr likes this.
  7. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Agreed, agreed, agreed, Matt.
    Still all a major ming mong work in progress, mate, but I'll keep tweaking it and hopefully it will improve as time passes.
    I reckon I'll stick as much stuff out as I can get away with and then, from time to time, put some stuff to the side and instead say concentrate on Atari 8bit (and robot arms!) and go to town on that system and get out ALL THE SOFTWARE to display too and just have say (machine-specific) eg Atari-mad month(s).
    Those fact sheets may get blutacked alongside to say the unit sides.
    Cheers, Matt and hope to catch up with all your robotics soon too.

8. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Those shelves get heavier...and more cluttered.

I'm unsure about the extent of the overload factor going on here, guys:

upload_2021-9-23_23-3-22.png

upload_2021-9-23_23-4-14.png

upload_2021-9-23_23-4-50.png

upload_2021-9-23_23-5-24.png

I also think I'm nowhere near reaching the summit of Clutterville yet either.

Still got boxes of software, mags and books to go through but there's no way they're all gonna find room in here.

Think I need some more space, fellas.

You got a spare RV, Matt or shall I move in above you, Paul?!?

nysavant likes this.
  9. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Too cluttered Andy.

Send me the Atmos, 1200XL and the teeny telly. That should all free up some space :D

Andy Barr likes this.
  10. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    You're all HEART, Al.

Cheers, mate - sorted!

nysavant likes this.
  11. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Joking aside, I do think the Atmos is one of the nicest looking micro's ever made.
    And I'm liking the way you have little setups for each system. Very curated looking.

Andy Barr likes this.
  12. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, Al.

I do need to find a happy balance between getting it all out and going through what's staying and what can go to pastures new but not slinging the lot on every shelf as it's beginning to resemble a charity shop with each and every passing day and to be honest... I've boxes yet to go through so it clearly aint gonna be possible to show the lot at once so what I might do is stick to maybe 2-3 machine / manufacturer's set-ups at a time and so give them more space whilst the others wait in the wings for their turn...Bev's just got me 3-4 of those deep clear plastic storage boxes you get from DIY stores for £6-8 so they're good for just chucking stuff in and then sticking back up in the attic/garage for now.

Shame though.

I'd love to have the lot on display but wouldn't we all?

nysavant likes this.
  13. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    It is a tough balancing act Andy, main thing is though that you enjoy whatever setup(s) you have and that they bring you pleasure.

Ironically, I have heavily trimmed (oo-er) my collection and now am back to having only the computers I owned as a teenager. Atari 800XL (and an 800, my holy grail system), an ST and an Amiga. Apart from a couple of consoles and handhelds everything else is emulated at the moment. Not because of space limits but mainly as I tend to have one or two favourites on each system and it seems a shame and a bit of a waste to have the original hardware just for the odd play. Whereas with the machines I have above it's a sentimental thing.

Quite enjoying expanding my geeky/retro book library though and collecting games keyring lately. I'll take some updated photos of "Al's Place" soon and share with you like minded folks :)

Andy Barr likes this.
  14. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Excellent, Al.

You are right - these set-ups, displays and man caves are a personal thing and what works for one of us doesn't necessarily tick all the boxes for another.

Looking forward to seeing your updates, mate and I totally get where you are coming from as regards a particular soft spot for a particular micro that saw you through your golden days.

I sat here the other night and I was wondering about the CPC464 and the Dragon but they are much much much more appreciated around at say Rich's than mine as they'd be nothing more than a curio here and they need playing with and much more TLC etc.

nysavant likes this.
  15. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Nice set of gear old man, but boy do you need more space..

Loft?

Andy Barr likes this.
  16. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I've been turfed out the loft, Al.

Bev has reclaimed it as the bedroom it started out as when we moved in here...before we both turned it into a dumping ground/box room the past year or two.

Nah, mate. The best extra room I'll get now is the garage and at the mo it's still too damp in there (when it rains) so that's out for now.

17. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    More retro kelt adding now on a daily basis - those shelves are laden, lads... (no, not Bin Laden, Paul, although he may well have laid low here before and we'd never have spotted him amongst this lot!)

upload_2021-10-1_18-10-39.png

upload_2021-10-1_18-11-7.png

upload_2021-10-1_18-11-28.png

upload_2021-10-1_18-12-14.png

upload_2021-10-1_18-12-43.png

upload_2021-10-1_18-14-9.png

Can anyone spot any room left for me to display me Beeb and Amoeba? (both hidden low down, bottom right)!

nysavant likes this.
  18. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Packed a lot into a small space Andy!
    Think the Beeb will need to go on the saddle of Bev's bike though :D

Andy Barr likes this.
  19. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I think you might have hit the nail on the headbanger there, Al.

After all, it's one of those smart models with a fitted.... SCREEN to watch the instructors giving you plenty of ear ache as they push you on to pedal up one more mountain etc -

SORTED!

[​IMG]

Cheers, mate - top suggestion and just goes to show that if you can't beat em - join em!

More to follow in this morass of media hype.

nysavant likes this.
  20. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Hey oop, fellas.

More stuff has slid into view.

I nearly gave this a new thread title such as SOFTWARE SURGE but really it's all connected with the Groaning Shelves topic in that this stuff would dearly like some shelf space.

I'll have to see what else I can acquire on Marketplace for a few quid, shelf unit wise, and shoehorn into the remainder of the wall space in this retro room.

These bad buys desperately wanna get shown and played this autumn and winterville:

upload_2021-10-3_14-31-36.png

upload_2021-10-3_14-32-34.png

upload_2021-10-3_14-32-9.png

upload_2021-10-3_14-32-56.png

upload_2021-10-3_14-33-24.png

Piles of Beeb, Atari, Amiga and still Oric and Sinclair software to follow.

Have I hit "critical" stage yet, Al?!

nysavant likes this.
  21. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    About 10 shelves ago...

Andy Barr likes this.
  22. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Nice cassette collection Andy. I have more fondness for tapes as could never afford a disk drive when I was a young 'un :)

Andy Barr likes this.
  23. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    You want really groaning shelves fellas?
    I've been meaning to take some photos of a store called Forgotten Worlds near Glasgow for ages. It's owned by an old friend of mine. He started by selling Japanese import games at computer fairs but as the collection got so big he ended up needing a warehouse to store it all in. That warehouse is now a really popular shop up here and he sells all sorts of geekery as well as having a nice collection of arcade machines to play.

Some of the stuff is unbelievable and in amazing condition. We are talking MSX on a chip, never opended PS2 consoles, FM Towns computers, and 1000's upon 1000's of software titles. Since opening up he has also started buying in PAL collections and just yesterday had a lovely fully boxed Speccy 48K and C64 in stock. Also seen ST's and lots of big box software titles coming through his doors.

If any of you are ever up on holiday it's a place not to be missed!

Andy, show this post to Bev and she won't find the size of your cave anymore :D

IMG_20211002_101931.jpg IMG_20211002_101958.jpg IMG_20211002_102021.jpg IMG_20211002_102138.jpg IMG_20211002_101931.jpg IMG_20211002_101958.jpg IMG_20211002_102021.jpg IMG_20211002_102138.jpg IMG_20211002_102141.jpg IMG_20211002_102235.jpg IMG_20211002_102531.jpg

Attached Files:

Andy Barr likes this.
  24. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    LOL!

Awesome, Al.

Bloody brilliant.

I've a long way to go yet to match that lot - Bev will be reassured (I think!)

Glasgow's the place to head to, fellas, if you fancy a proper retro shufty.

Great pics.

Thanks for sharing, mate.

25. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    WOW....I want to live in that shop!!

Andy Barr and nysavant like this.