1. Not old. Vintage. :)

Happy Birthday, Paul!

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by Timothy Kline, Jun 28, 2020.

1. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Timothy Kline Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Articles:
  2. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Thank you kindly, 59, the new 30....

Been really quiet....But I like quiet :)

Had a few little treats this year so I'm happy...

M.D.Baker and Timothy Kline like this.
  3. by Vulcanman
    Vulcanman

Vulcanman Galley Slave

Blog Posts:
    Happy birthday Paul. Hope you had a good day.

4. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Happy birthday Paul...yesterday! In 6 weeks I'll be 52...the new 25! I just wish my aching body would buy that...:cigar:

5. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Belated happy birthday mate :)

6. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Thanks all...Next year I become officially OLD....60....

7. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    In the states you aren't really considered "old" until the standard retirement age and one becomes a "pensioner" which is 65 years old. So you have 6 years left of late middle-age. I, of course have no pension or 401k or anything, so I get to work until I drop dead, owning my own business. I will just have to hire some workers to do all the real work when I get too feeble to myself.

Timothy Kline and Vyper68 like this.
  8. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    You are selling the dream there Matt :)

I have not had to work for a long time but its not as cushy as it sounds, I always gave work 101%, no sloping off, no "I'll do this in the morning", always work till it was past going home time. And then suddenly it all stopped, my body said NO and it meant it. The difference to a person that has a positive work ethic is hard to grasp, I have all this time on my hands and I feel guilty and useless. My head tells I'm being daft but it also says DO SOMETHING YOU LAZY GIT but my body slaps it down. The old mental health takes a good bashing with all this, its nagging me about being lazy, old and useless.........Fun, its not.

So for all you guys working hard with no gov support I feel for you, its simply NOT RIGHT, people are expected to work longer at a time when their bodies are not fit enough to carry on or get no state help. For the people forced to stop work through ill health I also feel for you, we have to realise its not us being lazy.

For those that choose to live their life on benefits and not look for work, I have nothing but contempt...Living off a working person just because you can is disgusting.

Vyper68 and Timothy Kline like this.
  9. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    I agree completely Paul. I have a neighbors that are perfectly capable of working, but are lazy shits lying to the government about physical ailments. They sit back and collect from the government, which is really us, the people who do work, and do drugs, drink, are completely dishonest and do nothing but cause troubles with their neighbors, and on top of it all, their properties look like rubbish pits and drag down the value of the homes of respectable neighbors all around. And, if that isn't enough, have the nerve to constantly try to leech rides to food pantries and charities for food, because they spend our money all on drinking drugs, instead of vehicles, food and utilities.

They even try to sneak our water because they have theirs disconnected for failure to pay. The absolute scum of the earth, and I have three of them living on my street. They never worked a day in their lives, and only have land because they inherited it too. And when they are all drunk and high they start yelling and cussing at each other, the foulest language, at the top of their lungs, and let their dangerous dogs have the run of the neighborhood as there are no leash laws out here. I hate myself for thinking it, but I wish they would all get thrown in prison or die. I've tried calling police, but they don't give a damn. The only thing the police would give a damn about and maybe arrest them for it would be the illegal drugs. But since I have as little to do with them as possible, I don't know if or when they'd have the drugs to be caught having.

Then I have a good neighbor and friend, who is like you, and is legitimately injured and unable to work, but he still keeps busy as best he can around his home. He was a hard worker which is why he was injured.

I work as much as I can, everyday, and sometimes over-work myself to the point of being laid up for a couple days to recover, but I've always earned my way, payed my debts and have never taken any charity (except from my parents at times when I was younger) or government hand-outs. Even in desperate times where I've been down to rice and water only to eat for days. But God has always seen me through and I will work until I drop dead, if I can keep my health until then. My younger brother that lives with me now is the same way.

Unfortunately my sister has turned a lazy heap of shit herself. She started out helping with my mother so I could do other work, but that ended and for the last several months has actually cause me more work than before she came! Also barely able to hold onto a part-time job that she has missed so many shifts for that I'm surprised she hasn't been fired and am pretty much counting the days until she is. She's gone through three jobs already, with a month or two in between, mostly sitting on her ass, all in less than a year, so far. Her daughter is identical to her, and I don't know what happened because my mother and grandmothers were never like that. They are/were nagging bitches like my sister and niece, but they did work hard.

But I also know how you feel Paul, wanting to work but unable too, feeling guilty and lazy, due to poor health and being temporarily out of work. I just do what I can to keep busy, and repeat to myself that I'd be working if I could, so I'm not like those other people. Don't fret Paul, you worked hard enough in your life to not have to feel guilty now, just because your body couldn't keep up with your will and spirit. What I do instead, at times like those is to teach myself something new, educating yourself further to keep busy and improve yourself, If you can't do physical stuff. And of course my hobbies are actually quite a bit of work that some people do for a living, I just happen to like it. You don't need to earn money to feel good about yourself when doing what you can. Those who keep busy, working as best they can with physical and/or mental ailments and strive to improve themselves, give life advice to the youth, help friends who can't help themselves and all those things you do and have done, like you have, for no money at all, are actually the better people. Even if your body is completely useless, there is always your mind to use to improve yourself and others, and contribute to society and history, just look at people like Stephen Hawking for inspiration.

Vyper68 and Timothy Kline like this.
  10. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Yes indeed but its a total shame on people that we have to look at some of the most disadvantaged people to get inspiration, are they inspiring, F**K yeah, who cannot be inspired by people like Hawking, despite totally crippling adversity he carried on when it would have been easier to stop and just say f**k it. Sadly when you have to point out a person like him to a work shy shit it besmirches his name in my book, they should not be in the same sentence let alone the same planet (although rumours that Elon Musk sent him up in space as the person in the car make me smile, it would have been very fitting).

I have and always will have sympathy for people having problems that make work hard or impossible, I look at the whole story as best I can and sometimes there are extra factors that make things very difficult. In my case its the property we were put in, initially it was classed as a Safe Haven property, that's for people at risk, while great to get a property there's always a con, the rent was incredibly high but the council made it clear it would be paid for us and it was that of no other offers of property. So once in the system we were locked in, if we worked (not that I could do a job that would pay this rent alone) we had to pay the bills, the rent alone was double that of a high class flat in a nice area so basically unless I suddenly got a job paying a disabled man HUGE money for doing very little we would be thrown out with rent arrears after a time. Suddenly the council told us we were being thrown off the council and the property would be a private flat that we could carry on in so the safety net of being council was gone and the rent in the private version stayed high. As we have no deposit we can't move out and apart from the scum above us its an OK place ie no drive bys as yet but hot and cold running drug dealers.

As I head towards 60 I look at what I have to offer a work force and its limited, if they paid me for work ethic alone then I'd make millions but I have to admit the old sack of bones aint what it used to be, typing gets more sore daily, its purely the pain meds that make it do-able. My knee's are stuffed, my spine is in a state that any excessive work could leave me in a wheelchair in varying states of paralysis with the only hop a big spinal op that could actually render me in the same state but even a successful outcome will leave me in pain for the rest of my life and still as f**ked but with less risk IF it works and the IF is high.

But you know what, I still wake up at work time, for me that was a 5am start, and I still wonder what I can try to do and then it dawns on me that I can't do what I want to do and then its a dark day, this isn't how it is every day, I've sort of grown able to push past the inability to a degree and not blame myself, its does not always work but hey, I have to try, that's some work in itself.

So yeah, I look at the benefits scum around here, many with generations of the same ideal in the family and I feel physically sick, when we moved in we used to come out on a nice evening and sit with the folks from the blocks, one family always made a mess and the notion of picking up their mess was just not happening so I went over one night and picked up their mess because it made the area look cheap. Suddenly the bloke who had never worked ever said to me "what are you doing that for, leave it for the cleaners", I looked at him with a look of bewilderment and said, if we all do that it will just make the place a state and he said "I'm keeping the cleaners in a job" and I just shook my head and walked off. After that people started bringing out bags with them and cleared the mess up but the shocking notion displayed by that guy and his family stuck with me. Too lazy to even pick up after yourself..

I hope I never hit that low......

Odd, the other day I had a set to with the guy above, almost came to blows if not for my neighbour stepping in, she played ref and we came to an understanding for them to keep tabs on their kid which they are doing to a degree, certainly he is and I'm glad to hear it. But what made me smile was that my neighbour turned to the guy and said "Paul is not a bad man, he's a lovely bloke who has done a hell of a lot for around here and the place, he''s even mentored the kids in many cases", it was so nice to hear I'd made a difference and had been appreciated, in my own way, a job well done..

Vyper68, M.D.Baker and Timothy Kline like this.
  11. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Yes, Hawking is an extreme, but I use extremes as examples so people see the stark difference. Minor examples could be less stark and understandable; one can't see the forest for the trees so to speak, but if you use extreme examples, then the whole forest is taken away and a completely empty space is left so the examples and facts are plainly obvious. For this reason I use extremes as examples so there is no area for confusion, misunderstanding, and in many cases (not you of course) no wiggle room for denials or excuses. Then one can look at lesser examples and see clearly still, by comparing on a lesser level the truths and facts the extreme provides.

I'm very glad to hear you are appreciated by some, and I wish you all the best with your health issues. It's very likely that in another 7 years my body could be in a shape close to yours for all I know. I always looked and felt about ten years younger than I was, until I hit about 45, then overnight I looked my age, and over the last 7 years I've felt my body getting old, not as much stamina and energy and less time to grow tired and sore and it keeps getting worse, like a week or two ago when I was laid up for a couple of days because my muscles and bones had had enough. I wasn't working any harder than I might have a year ago at this same time, but then it was just a sore back that some pain-killers could solve. I took triple dose of painkillers and CBD spray and CBD lotion all over my aches and pains and it barely worked this last time. So I'm forcing myself NOT to work as hard now and take more breaks, get help with hard stuff instead of relying just on myself, etc.

Vyper68 likes this.