1. Not old. Vintage. :)

How long would you be willing to wait for an Apple iPhone pre-order to be filled?

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by M.D.Baker, Jun 8, 2022.

1. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I have about a hundred or more images I use as changing wallpapers on one of my PC's of vintage computers and vintage computer ads. I'm sure some of you may already be aware of it, but I noticed in this Apple Lisa ad that they have a picture of the 'iPhone' available for pre-order about 25 years before it was actually released, LOL! AFAIK (maybe there was a landline phone like this back then for real? Maybe it was released but was a failure like the Lisa?), and I don't recall ever hearing or seeing this before...just thought I'd share in case I'm not the only one to not know about this.:jawdrop::cool: 5b5cdbb1e063d1554f0ddd380312bb22.jpg

nysavant and Andy Barr like this.
  2. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Apple representative: "Pre-order the revolutionary iPhone from Apple, there are still a few wrinkles to iron out in the portability and wireless catagories, but if we can make the Lisa, which will surely be a success, Apple doesn't produce failures after all, you can safely bet the iPhone's release will be soon!"

Press: "What about the Apple III? isn't it a failure?"

Apple Rep.: "The Apple III was slow to market and there were some software compatibility issues with the Apple II line, but Apple is fully backing it and it will become the new standard in affordable office and home and educational computing along side the new IIe with new upgrade boards and OS roms for 100% Apple IIe compatibility."

Press: "The Lisa is like nothing we've seen before, and incredible piece of technology. But it's the price of an average automobile, or a down payment for a 30 year morgage for the average consumer. I can't see even large companies and corporations spending $10,000 for every computer they need.

Apple Rep. (Steve Jobs?) "Lisa is a beyond-state-of-the-art, top-of-the-line computer model set to replace the traditional mainframes with compact computers that will connect via Appletalk(r) LAN to a central server and hard drive arrays that can hold hundreds of of thousands of megabytes of data at 100 times the speed a fraction of the physical space and half the power of traditional mainframes and server terminals Our market is research and administrative markets where only the best will do, with the revolutionary iPhone to follow." And there are plenty of of industry leaders who will be scrambling to get this new tech before the competition does."

Press: "And so you will directly compete with IBM with their range of computers from the new PC to monolithic mainframes with thousands of companies who have a considerable investment in such already? With decades of sales and service to all types of industries?"

Apple Rep. They won't know what hit them and we'll bulldozer IBM into the ground to become fossils, like the dinosaurs they are. IBM may know mainframes, the corporate data crunchers of yesteryear, but they don't know personal computers like the industry leader Apple has become. They will not be a threat in the personal computer market anymore than our new Lisa and remote server technologies will be to their mainframes...err, I mean Lisa will be the threat to their mainframes...and the iPhone! Now leave me alone!" (mumbles: "damn reporters")

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022