1. Not old. Vintage. :)

Interview with John Romero...

Discussion in 'SIG: Games (PC, Console)' started by Andy Barr, May 2, 2020.

1. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    You might have heard of this guy - bit of a name in the world of 1st person shooters, I hear(!)

[​IMG]

Interview with John at Revival 2014 so if you haven't seen it yet, be our guest:

2. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Atari Trivia, the guy who wrote that classic game Quest for the Maltese Chicken....Whaddya mean you don't remember it, well blame me I got this game published, anyway he ended up working alongside Mr Romero on that much hyped but terrible game Daikatana.

So you really can get places with a little help and talent..Shame he's (John Romero and not John Kavanaugh the guy who wrote QFTMC) been type cast as Doom man, he's done more than just that, the odd game here and there..

Mind you John Kavanaugh hasn't done too bad for himself, Green Beret on the Atari, a James bond game and then headed The Kremlin team at Domark and then with Romero..

And what did I get, a handshake and a pat on the back, typical of a Northern Irelander (as am I)

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    Timothy Kline and Andy Barr like this.
  3. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Timothy Kline Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Articles:
    I know I go on ad nauseum about the reason I left the Atari 8-bit back in the Way-back was significantly because the PC offered 80-column displays and mass storage and, quite honestly, a quickly-growing field of practical software compared to the Atari software available to me back in the late 80s and early 90s. Even BBSing was drying up as far as Atari 8-bit support and resources (and was far too costly with long distance then billed on a per-minute basis!!).

But it was Wolfenstein 3D on the PC that really started me off on PC gaming. A VGA card and Soundblaster 16 card in a speedy 486DX/100 made Wolf3D a mind-blowing late-night gaming experience (I still play Wolf3D these days, too).

Then came DOOM and the first-person shooter jumped into its second generation of eyecandy and ear-strumming to the sound of explosions and threats to life and limb.

DOOM satisfied me until I met Heretic, and I don't really miss DOOM at all, actually (although, again, I still load it up and play out a few levels from time to time these days).

Heretic was my mainstay until Unreal came on the scene, pushing game mechanics and world creation to new limits.

Having said that, I guess I never really stayed with the first-person shooters as they progressed into the Call of Duty franchises, and the (Return to) Wolfenstein releases, and the DOOM franchise.

When I heard about the recent DOOM release I checked out some of the live streams on Twitch.tv and was appalled at the gratuitous violence and gore. Non-stop in most of what I saw.

It's a very different first-person shooter generation today from back when I mucked around in the genre. I find the CoD games far too realistic and disturbing, personally... yet I don't seem to be bothered beating on Republic soldiers in a game like Star Wars: The Old Republic with my light saber, or playing a scoundrel shooting his way to escape from planetary contraband agents... so go figure.

--Tim

Andy Barr likes this.
  4. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    I totally get where you're coming from, Tim, and these days all the Call of Duty and uber-realistic 1st person shooters leave me feeling totally cold about their release due to the seemingly all-too-real green gratuitous killing spree light they seem to shine to kill uber-realistic folk whereas back in our heavily pixellated but fun-lurving days, cacodaemons and cold-blooded Nazis were not only a damn good plot line, making you feel part of a righteous crusade type experience to kill the badasses, but it was just sheer video game indulgence for the heck of it and you could more easily tell the difference between what "seemed right" whereas now... god, the blur between reality and CGI is disturbingly narrow.

I also lurved Wolfenstein, Doom (my mate Meds got into Heretic, whereas I didn't preferring Duke Nukem and a little bit of Rise of The Triads, I think it was called) and then say 20 years back, I also got into Half Life, Quake III Arena (brilliant as was Unreal Tournament), Return to Castle Wolfenstein (I still play) and then approx 10 yrs back Crysis (occasionally put that on).

Other than that, I don't play a lot of shooters these days.

What else do the guys remember "playing to death" on here as we all clambered aboard the PC train and left our 8bits in the loft for a while...?