1. Not old. Vintage. :)

Most liked posts in thread: Johnny, I'm sorry...your Atmos is not yet coming home

1. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Evening, chaps.

I've been a bit extra whacked this week recovering from the excesses of the days at the polling station then the count for the local police crime commissioner at Brid Spa last week etc. I don't know about you guys, but if I have had a day or two at full bore these days, it takes me a week or more to recover so I'm a bit dog tired and feeling woof.

Any road, imagine my delight when my old mate, Johnny, invited me round to his back yard tonight to look at his new man cave / beer shed which he has created during lockdown AND... a chance to see him and his little beauty that Vyper Richie so kindly fixed recently...

It doesn't require any more words as they say as a picture is worth a 1000 of them and these speak volumes - sheer pleasure written all over my mate's fizzer.

On behalf of both us Oricians, Richie - thank you so very much.

upload_2021-5-13_21-11-2.png

upload_2021-5-13_21-11-32.png

upload_2021-5-13_21-12-2.png

upload_2021-5-13_21-12-24.png

You've made two old farts extremely happy as we enjoyed a real good ale tonight reminiscing over old Oric classics...

CHEERS, MATEY!

2. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Captain

Blog Posts:
    The fix is easy, turn it off and put it back in the cupboard...

See

AlexDrito, nysavant and Andy Barr like this.
  3. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Cheers, Rich and Al.

And it just goes to show that even if Feebay has written the Oric off as sheer pants...

upload_2021-5-15_9-25-23.png

We still love the brand!!!

Vyper68, AlexDrito and nysavant like this.
  4. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Captain

Blog Posts:
    Nearly isn't good enough....Its coming out of your nose or I've failed :)

Andy Barr and nysavant like this.
  5. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Oric is fixed Andy, Keyboard PCB had broken tracks so needed some remedial bodges with Kynar wire to restore the connections.
    The number 7 key was also giving problems with the contact leaf springs so they needed some fettling. The number 7 key will likely have problems in the future as the leafs eventually stop making good contact and will need the process repeating.
    The keyboard PCB is starting to degrade and although all the other contacts are sound now there is a likely chance that at some point another will fail. It’s the copper tracks themselves that are breaking so there isn’t a lot more we can do other than fix them as and when.
    I’ll replace the Electrolytic capacitors and voltage regulator as part of the 35 year service :)

Good news was it wasn’t the AY or VIA.

AlexDrito and Andy Barr like this.
  6. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Nearly made me spit out my cuppa there Paul :D

Andy Barr likes this.
  7. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Send it up to me Andy and I’ll sort it. Sounds like the keyboard PCB rather than the 6522A and/or AY. Did he say what he was doing prior to it going wrong?

AlexDrito likes this.
  8. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Many thanks, Rich.

I will get on with this toot sweet.

No, long period of inactivity at the back of the wardrobe I'm afraid.

He can't remember the last time he used it - possibly 2-3 years ago, maybe more.

Cheers, Rich - have a good day, guys.

AlexDrito likes this.
  9. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Looks like it’s due to arrive today Andy, so I’ll be able to get cracking on Monday.

Andy Barr likes this.
  10. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Fab news, Rich.

I do hope it's something simple and not requiring any obscure/rare to source/expensive parts.

I have my fingers (and now tentacles thanks to Covid jab) crossed, fella!

[​IMG]

AlexDrito likes this.
  11. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    WAHAY!

A special Oric Atmos ZAP, PING and SHOOT for Richie as he gets Johnny's keyboard to EXPLODE back into life.
    I've just text Johnny and told him to stop storing it in the wardrobe and give it some proper use but to go steady as the repair is as good as we can give it for now and maybe, in the future, he will need a new Stackpole keyboard, Rich?

I know, from time to time, they come on Ebay as I believe Tandy/Radio Shack used to stock them as spares.

Once more, a thousand ZAPs and PINGs from me and Johnny, Rich.

You never know, if we get him really interested once more, he might well join us on here!

Mate, let me know how much I owe you and he'll see me right (when he gets his glasses, naturally).

Cheers, Rich.

I have an update for Oric fashion fanatics shortly... watch this space.

Vyper68 likes this.
  12. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Now that looks like a happy man! Loving the shed as well :)

Andy Barr likes this.