1. Not old. Vintage. :)

My general life advice

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by M.D.Baker, Jun 6, 2021.

1. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I was going to put this in my profile feed, but there isn't enough room.

I was giving general life advice to one of my nephews recently when he asked me how I treat life or live my life in general. This isn't about morality or beliefs, just basic advice on an "attitude toward life."

Don't worry about your mortality, it will come and there's nothing you can do about it. To not fear and worry about death, convince yourself you are immortal in the ageless sense, face life and never fear it, or fear change. In fact, change is good, it is how we learn and grow mentally, embrace change, it awakens part of us that sleeps without it. But also be fearful and mindful of life's dangers, as even if you live like you'll never grow old and die, death is still possible at anytime by accident and other outside forces, so you must still live life as if every day could be your last. Love, savor, enjoy, and learn all you can in your life, including hard work, the rewards of accomplishment are worth more than all the riches in the world. When the day comes when the realities of poor health or old age make life painful or difficult you must still embrace life and live it as if your condition will pass, even if the reality is it won't, so you don't give up on life, accept the current limitations and appreciate every moment you can, pain is a reminder that you are still alive. Outside of terminal illness, or permanent handicap, life's problems and difficulties, are all temporary and will pass, have hope and courage, and endure, life will get better again. The pain of losing ones you love will fade in time, you can live without them and be happy again. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, don't do it. Death is inevitable and will come far too soon in the end anyway.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  2. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I agree with 99% of this but as a person who failed suicide twice (a long time ago) I have to say that you don't really get a choice when those feelings hit. I agree its the wrong thing to do but when life is constantly treating you badly and when there seems no way out and things get desperate then depending on the strength of will and other very complex emotions you can fall in to the suicide mindset. For me, homeless people are the most likely to exhibit this want and I suspect figures from this set of folks would probably make alarming reading. Having been homeless when we fled Belfast for a couple of weeks it was awful, to know there are folks who spend years even the later part of their years living like this must be just desolate for them.

But yes, live life the best you can despite the constraints upon you, I'm not talking material ways like going on fancy holidays, I mean waking up and looking forward to the day, it may seem a thing that should be taken as granted but I bet that many of us have had times where that isn't the case..

I think Star Treks Spock said it best, live life and prosper...Prosper in a life rewarding wway, not just about money and goods..

Andy Barr and M.D.Baker like this.
  3. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    It's true that my philosophy on suicide is purely from a logical perspective, and that feelings can be very strong and defy logic. But this isn't the advice I'd try and give to someone who is currently suicidal, this is advice on a way to see the truth of it when you are in a good place and can see it's logic, and hopefully you can remember it when the time comes to avoid those thoughts and suicidal tendencies. Sort of using it like in 'Dune' with the Barron's Mentat who repeats logical truths to himself as he goes into danger, repeating to himself stuff like fear is the mind killer, etc.

This is from my personal experience in going through some very rough times in life, and I got through it keeping it in mind, and I've known people who have committed suicide over things that were not nearly as bad, from my perspective.

I'm glad you failed and hopefully those experiences and your living through them and seeing a better tomorrow show the truth of it. What good times and life experiences you cherish now would you have never had if you had been successful?

Andy Barr likes this.
  4. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Oh trust me Matt, I'm glad I failed / the outside world got involved...I almost had a third go and laid all the tablets out but then decency and logic kicked in, I knew I'd damage my wife and my daughters life and I stopped right there. It was the turning point I needed and I started getting treatment.

I still get lows but I look at it all differently and know I've changed since then, I still have days when I'm uncertain about the way things are going but I know that is quite normal..

Andy Barr and M.D.Baker like this.
  5. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    All I can say is that I have had 1-2 low points in life and thoughts also turned to ending it but thank god for the love of strong friendships and family that have provided bedrock support at at least two critical points in my life where it didn't look like I had much choice in solving very difficult situations and making healthy decisions. Thank god for strong shoulders there to support me who have helped take some of the burden and the bloody good listeners who have helped lighten the load and made 1-2 excellent suggestions to provide that optimism that there is a brighter future and that life is worth living to reach the heights of full fruition and so get through life's hurdles and reach that final natural conclusion and in doing so we must try and live our lives positively to help benefit a better future for all who matter to us, ie our nearest and dearest, and do all we consciously can to keep us on track on this journey together.

M.D.Baker likes this.