1. Not old. Vintage. :)

My get up and go has got up and went!

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine, Nov 11, 2020.

1. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Really odd time, I've got soldering jobs to do, bits to list on Ebay and a million and one other things but every day I do the same thing, "I'll do it tomorrow". Normally I'm quite a workaholic (as best as I can be) but there's just a wave of apathy in me. For the life of me I don't know why, things have been going quite well for once, the MOT went smoothly, we don't see the in laws much and Serena is doing really well but I've got no fight in me.

Not been feeling down or anything, actually been quite happy for once, just simply can't be bothered....I've never been that sort of person, if it needed doing I did it. I might forget to do stuff but never just ignore it.

Weird, anyone feeling the same?

Could this be a COVID thing, as far as I know I have not had any real symptoms and I know we were free of it up till a few weeks back because Serena passed a COVID test so we could not have had it at that point.

Bloody annoying as I keep looking down at a box beside me that has a disassembled radio in there for me to recap and all I feel is NAH.

Oh well, off to do the lottery, now winning that WOULD motivate me :)

2. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Hmm Well now I've seen this post I know the result of your MOT so spot on there..
    Paul I had exactly the same lack of get up and go some while back, I know mine turned out to be Gladulare fever, but It seems the long Covid is very similar. It also follows that if Serena passed her test it bear's no relationship as to weather you have had it.
    Two of my friends wifes have both been tested positive for Covid anti bodies but their Husbands havn't nor have Corvid.
    Turns out my Ex and her twin sister both have Antibodies but my youngest daughter whom lives with her hasn't
    It's a weird weird world Anyway It's better to feel good and not be down in the dumps and do sod all rather than be busy busy busy and depressed.
    Mental health is key in many ways; to how we, and our bodies react... It's just telling you stay happy and have a break.

Andy Barr likes this.
  3. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    I just find it weird, I'm not exactly pushed by pressure as of late but just feel like staying in bed far too long and have been getting up later than usual which isn't me, I always worked until I could not and that get up at 6:30 - 7am is drilled in to me but now its "sod it".

I don't feel too bad, just weirded out by this lack of doing..

Graham likes this.
  4. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Definitely know where you're coming from, fellas, as regards feeling "what the hell" and being confused by this mad world of COVID.

I'm now working from home and feel like I'm somehow skiving as I'm in touch with the gals in the office but it's clear that they're working their butts off, busy as hell, whilst I just toss it off looking at a screenful of emails and replying/actioning a handful every hour. They have folks screaming down the phone at them, mountain of mail to open and process and god knows what else in their 'dynamic' setting whereas I'm tucked away with the dust and spiders, under the stairs, whilst Bev conducts her conference calls in the back bedroom and I just feel second fiddle and not really busting a gut... which makes me feel crap that I'm not doing more and this then begins to spiral as you think well, if the team at work can easily get by without me, what does that say for my future employment if they start making savings salary-wise... Yep, it's very easy to get a bit down at the moment.
    Like you say, the whole COVID thing is weird: Bev's had it and been tested for the antibodies and she has them too. I never knowingly had it/have ever showed any symptoms but who knows? Mind, both of us came back negative from our tests last week so we don't have it now but might I have the antibodies? We'd like to know but don't want to have to shell out for test that might not even be 100% reliable.

A weird world right now for sure... plus, i posted a damn interesting auction thread on here last night.... WTF happened to it? It's been pulled...Conspiracy theories abound - it must be the government... or maybe, the wrath of Mr Trump? LOL!

I will have to re-post later as that guy megadrivecollector is selling lots of AMAZING Atari software collections...

ie.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_...rksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=atari&_sacat=0

Check that little lot out.

Graham likes this.
  5. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Jebus, that some fine looking software, I'd have killed for that years ago, now I'd have no room for it..

And I continue in the same vein, got plenty to do, need to do diagnostics on 2 1050's so I can sell them, get a C64C on Ebay, a 65XE on there, repair the radio but I just cannot be bothered..A total 'not like me' situation...

As for working from home, hardly skiving, at the end of the day you are doing the same job without some resources to hand, I'd say that makes it harder if anything. I don't miss work, I don't say it because I can doss about, I just don't miss the stress and pain and as I hit 60 even with all the pain and ill's I don't think I'd be retrain material, why have a crippled old fart when you can have a young fit person that you can work twice as hard.

All this nonsense is getting to people, do this, don't do that, oh now do that but don't do the thing we said to do, enough to send any person to despair...

Oh, I did do one job I had to do, spot on the cat with flea stuff, he knew it was coming and tried to bugger off but I knew he would know and locked him in. 2 mins later one very very grumpy cat that tore out the back door.

Really must snap out of this daze.....If I get any more 'laid back' I'll fall off the chair..

Graham and Andy Barr like this.
  6. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Started to revive, got the 65XE and C64C up on ebay, now to test the two 1050's (one is a Happy). My A1200 landed and guy over the moon..A good roll so far, MOT and Amiga wahey, camera is being resolved by ebay, clearly the person is a messer..

Graham and Andy Barr like this.
  7. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Nice one, mate - some positive results there and so you feel like you can take on the world again but I know how you feel when things just don't play ball - like our kitchen heating thermostat... will it come on? Nope. Will it do anything other than show current room temperature? No. Will it follow the instruction guide and maybe go into 'works out the box mode'? No. Will it respond to any buttons I press? Not particularly, no. Will it be getting thumped soon or maybe returned to the manufacturer? Well that's bloody more likely!
    Good luck with the sales, Paul. Hope you get those 1050s up n running as they should get a decent price, esp the HAPPY one. Cheers for the vote of confidence with work...we'll see how things go.
    Yes, those Atari software sales are very tasty but already blasting out of my reach.
    Lovely collections of Infocom, English Software, Red Rat and Americana etc, guys... anyone tempted??

Graham likes this.
  8. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Good luck with the thermostat, I'm still trying to work our one out..

That software, yep, after a lottery win :)

Andy Barr and Graham like this.
  9. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Prior to me taking early retirement I'd been working from home / attending meetings in the office and meeting up with my staff out in the field.

In my case; technically my hours 9-5 my staff majority 7 - 20:30 but covered 24 Hrs.

I had a conference call every morning with colleagues in India, 8AM every day, and had to prepare responses to questions they asked over night by email. That and the engineers on shift would always call me up, didn't matter where from or the fact they had their own manager or Duty managers actually paid to be on call with them...

As I'd been TOUP'ed to Ericsson, I lost my 'Principle Engineer' title one of two in the country Ericsson didn't have a role that matched. I ended up as a Senior Engineer, a few weeks later a Temporary Manager, and then another Manager left and I ended up with his staff as well. I had the largest staff of all the managers, although only a 'temp' manager. I enjoyed my work but hated they way the company worked, all driven by a spread sheet in Sweden in 'SEK' Swedish Krona, I'm sure they were pleased I left, as I retained my salary due to TOUP rules. It was way above my Area Managers of which at the time there were three. I suspect I could'nt be the hard man Erisson wanted, not my nature I got more out of staff taking time to talk to them and teach them, and importantly ask them to do something rather than order them, and be a general shit towards them, that didn't mean I was an easy touch I also had staff leave my employment. I however was very fair.
    I guess my hours worked averaged north of 12 hours a day even into the weekends.
    I would say that they gained much more work from me that I would have gotten through in an office environment.
    All the other managers would start early but most would shut their phones down at 5..
    In some ways I wish I could have been like them. But I'm not.

Most people I know of work far harder at home than they would have in an office environment with all the distractions of a coffee machine, a canteen, and constant interrupts from others.

Andy Barr likes this.
  10. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Oh dear Andy a thermostat thats not playing ball.. sounds like Matt's 800 Keyboard.. (Well until he found the cause)

Andy Barr likes this.
  11. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    So there you have it Andy, not a shirker at all mate..

As for your work Graham, sod that for a bag of soldiers....That is a long old hard day...I like a challenge but I have my limits :)

Andy Barr likes this.