1. Not old. Vintage. :)

Oric users have got it taped...

Discussion in 'SIG: 8-Bit Hardware' started by Andy Barr, Feb 16, 2020.

1. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Oric cassette owners... we've got it taped! Has anyone else got any "Oric" tape decks, data-corders or custom cassette recorders or indeed able to recommend models that compliment our cute micros?

These three go well - two are Altai models and one's a Philips.

[​IMG]
    ABOVE: Baz has taken "steps" to ensure his tape decks are
    neatly colour coordinated down at the 8bit Baz Biome...

Timothy Kline likes this.
  2. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Timothy Kline Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Articles:

I did a double-take with that Altai unit on the right, top: Looks like an early Sony Walkman!

On the Atari, cassette drives are connected via SIO cable and programs can be booted directly from tape (albeit loadtimes can be ... significant!) — is that how it works with these, too? How do they connect to the Oric? Standard headphone/microphone jacks or some form of serial data cabling / interface?

What about loading software? Can programs be booted upon startup, or are they loaded after the Oric's sitting at a command prompt?

--Tim

3. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:

4. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Blog Posts:
    Articles:
    I appreciate the information, Andy!

So, what difference is there, then, between "slow or secure mode" (if they're synonymous), or between "slow mode" and "secure mode," if different?

I mean, why would someone opt for slow mode?! Data tape storage is slow enough as-is, I seem to recall.

Thanks in advance!
    --Tim

Andy Barr likes this.
  5. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:

Aha, when I said CLOAD"",S - whereby the S stands for slow or secure mode - I didn't mean they were different just that the baud rate was meant to be uber reliable at just 300baud - which is selected by the ,S flag, Tim.

If you normally save a file with the Oric tape system by keying in CSAVE"FILE" - it saves by default at 2400 baud - much faster (but as you say, still bloody slow!) but the recordings weren't always reliable when reloading, ie. via CLOAD"" so what was recommended was that you always backed up twice - once at 2400 and then a 2nd more safe, slow and secure recording at 300 baud... 8 times as slow to save and reload!

I hope that kind of makes sense...?!

6. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Blog Posts:
    Articles:

Makes enough sense, indeed!

In general, commercial programs loaded at which data rate, @Andy?

--Tim

7. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Commercial games tapes were ALWAYS saved at the default 2400 baud rate, Tim, although it wasn't uncommon to also record a 300 baud ,Slow version on the flip side!