1. Not old. Vintage. :)

SIDE Loader and APT partitions

Discussion in 'SIG: Atari 8-Bit Hardware' started by Vyper68, Jul 21, 2021 at 3:46 AM.

1. Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Hi peeps,
    I recently bought a SIDE3 and have been trying to set up some HDD on the SD card. I have used FDISK to create a 2GB FAT16 and created five 31.99MB Atari HDD’s, the remaining space I created a FAT32 partition.
    So the SIDE Loader sees all three and I can access both the FAT partitions but the APT section is greyed out when I select it. The APT table is correct but they are all greyed out and I cannot mount them in the SIDE loader.
    I must have done something wrong but I’m not sure what…
    I did get the FAT16 partition recognised in SDX using an autoexec.bat file and all the Atari HDD’s are formatted.
    Anyone got any ideas?

AlexDrito likes this.
  2. AlexDrito

AlexDrito Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Perhaps a firmware bug? Did you try to update it? I bought an AVG Cart recently but I still must find the time to test it properly. Support for hdd is fascinating but not much more than an experiment, what real use can it be done? Games? Applications?

3. Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I think @AlexDrito it is because to access APT HDD’s you need the Ultimate 1MB installed with the PBI BIOS turned on.
    So that will be my next purchase I guess. I can still access the Hard drives in SDX in the meantime.

4. AlexDrito

AlexDrito Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    That's good to know, as the AVG Cart also supports hard disk partitions on the SD card, but I still have to find out how. They probably share the same technology to do that. The U1MB is also supported and yes, it seems like it makes things easier. The setup has been simplified (no soldering required now IIRW) but what about the selling price? Is it really worth it for someone who only wants to make normal use of his machine?

5. Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Well @AlexDrito, I don’t think I would recoup the money spent on this Atari XE, with the 512KB RAM, SIDE3 and FujiNet I am already into three figures and so If I decided I wanted to sell it, which is not going to happen. I would loose money on it. Some people ask for ridiculous sums of money on eBay for expanded Atari computers but they are often listed several times.

I think you refer to the price of the extra expansions and cartridges? I suppose if you only wanted to play games a RAM expansion to 128KB and either a SIO2PC or a SD DriveMax would be enough so would only cost £50 or less. I want to get to grips with Display lists and PMG’s and programming in general plus the fujiconvert software interests me as well. So adding more powerful expansions was more attractive to me.

I did plan to get a SIDE2 for a long time but then the SIDE3 came out so it seemed to make sense to get the newer model. I think part of the price difference is down to the royalties paid to FJC for his firmware, which you have no choice in paying compared to the older products where he wrote new firmware after they had been released. I don’t mind paying it either as it’s a lot of work and he should get something back for the effort.

nysavant likes this.