1. Not old. Vintage. :)

Slider suggestions

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by Timothy Kline, Feb 15, 2020.

1. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Timothy Kline Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Articles:
    Good morning, everyone!

I am interested in expanding the slider which appears on the landing page of the Club.

Right now, the slides represent the Atari 8-bit home computer, but I would like to see some non-Atari 8-bit home computers represented, too— specifically, Oric, Speccy, and Sinclair— although if there are any others, they are welcome, too!

Images should be at least 1200px wide and allow for me to fit into a landscape slide. A caption would also be helpful!

I'm thinking maybe 3-4 additional slides, with the option to rotate out the slides from time to time to keep things looking fresh.

Feel free to join in the discussion!

Thank you, in advance!
    --Tim

Andy Barr likes this.
  2. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I assume you refer to the very top window with "Atari's short-lived business computer the 1200XL" caption in one of the slides?

I know my future plans for other micros include real C64, Coleco Adam and BBC micro, the Speccy and Apple I intend to use in emulation on my Atari once I get a Rapidus board for my 1200XL. So eventually I'll be active in any sub-forums regarding those micros.

Vyper68, Andy Barr and Timothy Kline like this.
  3. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Blog Posts:
    Articles:
    That reminds me that I need to fix that caption!

Good suggestions with the C64, Adam, and BBC Micro, though! I'll defer to others since I know next to nothing about them but have no qualms about making sure they have a place, too. :)

--Tim

Vyper68 likes this.
  4. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Happy to contribute, Tim.

My 1st post so I'll keep it short and sweet - prepare for upLOADS later - I'm sure I've a couple of gigs worth of Oric fanboy images somewhere!! Nice site, fella. Well done on a neat start to your new forum.

Vyper68 and Timothy Kline like this.
  5. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I think we could have Commodore and Acorn ( BBC & Electron ) and then there is the Dragon/Co-Co or MSX as well which could rotate?

Loving the site by the way Tim

Andy Barr and Timothy Kline like this.
  6. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I forgot I want a Co-co too, I might even get one of them before one or any of the others. I guess it just depends on the timing and pricing what comes first for me, that and room to put it all.

Andy Barr and Vyper68 like this.
  7. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    One suggestion I have is to slow down the slider if possible? It goes by too fast to read captions and take in and appreciate the images.

Andy Barr and Timothy Kline like this.
  8. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Morning, fellas.
    Attached herewith is a splendid, even if I do say so myself (not being at all biased!), image of the good ol Oric Atmos for the slider section of non-Atari machines.
    You might want to use it from time to time, Tim.
    Cheers - it will form the basis of my 1st proper thread soon.
    Cheers fellas and hope to Skype in a few hours. Baz.
    Atmos beauty.JPG

Timothy Kline likes this.
  9. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Blog Posts:
    Articles:
    That looks as thin as I remember the ZX-81 to be! Where did they put everything?! On the ZX-81, it has that rear "bump" to house internals, but from this picture I am... stunned!

--Tim

Andy Barr likes this.
  10. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    LOL!
    It's not quite as thin as that view suggests, Tim.
    If I find a cross section/side view, you will see it's raised and almost has a triangular block cheese-like side profile, ie.
    [​IMG]

upload_2020-2-16_10-58-34.png

Oric didn't stop there either, Tim, with the cheese wedge design as the microdisc also was produced that same form method too:

upload_2020-2-16_10-59-41.png

They were clearly influenced by cheese wedges, those Oric Products International guys...

Hmm, no wonder I'm a fan, fellas, as I also enjoy CHEESE!

11. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:

Richie, I am perplexed why you are holding a cucumber lovingly in your pic - have you grown that down the allotment or is it an add-on for your Amstrad?!
    I mean, c'mon, fella, when you gaze at my pic, it's quite clear that sat in the middle of the street on an evening, with a Russki bear cap on me bonce and my nose illuminated is pretty much "standard" behaviour here in Hull... yeah!?!
    LOL!
    Loving the pics - Matt's got the rugged outdoor man about him and Tim's stuck to his roots and a great flashback retro shot of him "back in the day".... OR... is he actually STILL that youthful??!!
    We will get answers to some of these deep questions... some day and until then...

TTFN.

Baz.

12. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    OK, I've posted my 1st Oric thread - We've got it taped - and here's a 1400pixel wide version of the Atmos I uploaded earlier:
    upload_2020-2-16_23-42-33.png

A couple more Oric products which might make a nice "slider" image at some point, Tim:

upload_2020-2-16_23-45-16.png
    ABOVE: The Atmos "Media Centre"

upload_2020-2-16_23-47-26.png
    ABOVE: The Oric-1 promotional ad from Jan 84.

13. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Captain

Blog Posts:
  14. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Blog Posts:
    Articles:
    _________

What's a Vic 20?