1. Not old. Vintage. :)

Most liked posts in thread: SOFTWARE PIRACY DOCUMENTARY

1. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Captain

Blog Posts:
    Ah, Wee Davy Jones, I had the pleasure of reviewing and renaming one of his first games, was going to be called Draconia but I rang their Psygnosis offices to tell them there was a current C64 game out with that name, the game then came out as Menace.

This link confirms this

https://www.nostalgianerd.com/from-dma-to-gta-the-story-of-dma-design/

It also mentions "The Kent Team", one of whom was my boss for a while..

Heard about the Barras markets, a right little den I heard..

AlexDrito, Andy Barr and nysavant like this.
  2. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Makes me think of Hackney Wick boot sale but on a bigger scale, the stuff that went on there was just amazing, and highly illegal :) . One stall always had a big queue and then one week it was raided (I missed it), and it turns out they were selling special African meat products, the stuff they use a blow torch on to cook it, bit's of monkeys and gawd knows what else.

There was always a burnt smell, but it was all pre-bagged up, so you could not tell what they were buying.

I've eaten many an odd thing, but I'll pass on that gear..

nysavant likes this.
  3. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Ah, I remember purchasing my very first CD writer. It was an external SCSI model that wrote at single speed, needed caddy's and cost me not much short of £1200. The blank kodak cd's were another £5 a pop!

Andy Barr likes this.
  4. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    You are not suggesting your mate was in to that (as it's his setup on show) :)

Just joking, I do like his drive with the window in..

As for CD's etc, I'm sat here with writeable media that came from Bob's place, not used one of the disks, not wrote a CD out in years and never written a blu-ray out, they are just sat here doing nothing. Tried giving them away but no one uses them, they seem to be headed for the bin. Seems a shame but it's just tat in the end.

Make's a me laugh as I was with Bob at the Croydon computer fair where he brought the blu-ray blanks and there were not cheap..

Andy Barr likes this.
  5. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Because of the covid I can't do anything at the mo, but I will sort it

EDIT:

Just checked and pretty much all but 9 are either DVD or Blu-ray.

I'll still send them up, no worries of the postage, it won't be dear...Sorry, wish I'd checked better now..

Andy Barr likes this.
  6. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I might have some CD-R discs in a drawer Andy. I'll take a look and donate them to the Baz Recording Studio when I'm down your way.

Andy Barr likes this.
  7. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Andy, get yourself back to A&E, this is starting to sound ulcer based, if there's any sign of blood in the stools then get back to hossy mate. I had peptic ulcers caused by the extreme stress when I was having all that crap at Maplin towards the end, was utterly dire, like being stabbed every few secs and boy did I shite..

I'd insist on a scan or endoscopy to have a looksee...Scan being the preferred option as the old endoscopy is terribly unpleasant, unless you are a sword swallower on the side (I do mean sword, no euphemisms there)

Hate hearing about mates in pain, I know me and Richie have gone through the ringer re pain. Not nice, get well soon Baz..

Andy Barr likes this.
  8. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    I totally understand your reservations about A&E, no one should have to wait that long for treatment. Yet another balls up by consecutive governments. Hideously overpriced, overdue and now stalled things like the HS2 line just suck money away from priority services. Will the scheme even help those places it's going to visit, you can't help a business that you have forced to shut because of prices and red tape.

Hope things clear up asap mate.. At least you'll be an expert in pebble dashing things..

Andy Barr likes this.
  9. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    PMSL! Hey, update - I'm back to SOLID!

Get in there!!

Small mercies and I hope not too much information (Bev says a common side efffect of anti-biotics, the old runs and diarrohea).

nysavant likes this.
  10. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    The Barras had to be seen to be believed Paul :)

Grea times back then and still keep in touch with a couple of the guys.

11. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Okay, never had any monkey meat at the Barras.

Although some of those breakfast rolls did seema bit strange.... :jawdrop:

12. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Enjoyed the pirated software report from Glasgow way back in... I dunno - 94, 95?

I'm trying to date it from software like Lemmings etc showcased and DMA games etc.

All those cases full of 3.5" copies of the best-selling titles takes us all on a trip down memory lane as we used to send mates disks through the post for SWAPS (least I hope we never fleeced another?!) :)

The thrill of getting the latest games on either multi-menu disks or stacks of multi-span game and data disks/demo disks was bloody great and when you reminded yourself that your pal in Plymouth, or chum in Cardiff had saved you approx £80-100 I don't think I felt very sorry for the software guys driving around in Porsches and Lambourghini's BUT it was probably done on much too much a grand scale, so much so, that the Amiga new releases market dried up and eventually shrunk to nothing as no-one was making any money at all out of the scene any more.

Shame. I did have to laugh though, didn't you, when some Charlie came on and said that the "new" medium of CD would stop things as they are harder/more expensive to copy and I guess they were... for about the 1st 6-12 months then the self-same thing happened to CDs as had already happened to tapes and disks - they became mass produced - as did the players/burners/hardware and then every Tom, Dick and Dominik had a stack of copied CDs.

That's humans for you - an inventive and ever-seeking solutions kinda bunch (when they're not trying to blow us all up - and I'm not talking Lemmings!)

Night, folks.

13. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    My mate used only TDK's, 8 quid a go back then..Poor old Kev, so many failed disks..

Never felt an urge to get into that side, I had the software on tap but selling it just never my thing. Not trying to make myself whiter than white, I was in the mix, just not the money side. Kev was always the early adopter of copying stuff, he had a Happy Drive long before I'd heard of them and no doubt had a writer at a similar price to yours, that boy was in to everything :)

14. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    As you say, fellas - what a price CD burners were to kick off with and how low the spec? You won't get much lower than single speed! Heavens, last time I copied some CDs (at Chrimbo for that Bazza Spirit of 77 Music CD special) I think I was wazzing em off at x16 no sweat on a CD writer costing, probably, £20-30? You certainly paid top dollar for the early hardware and the media but someone's gotta be a pioneer! Good on yer, Al.

[​IMG]
    Now how many copies of The Secret of Monkey Island could you knock out in one night with this, lads?!

Then before the 90s, we had the Happy Drive brigade hitting the Atari 8bit software scene and doing their thang so successfully there, again the new software releases market dried up, but folks like Rob C, Ian K (was it?) and Paul's mate Kev, amongst 1000s others, were doing us all a huge community favour by bashing out all those copied compilation menu disks - all lazered, archived, and Happy'd to the MAX! Saved us all £1000s and prevented too many Porsche prangs!!

[​IMG]

All set to go - master and 3 slave 1050s should do the trick.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  15. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Please let me know the postage cost plus for your time and trouble, Paul - PM me, and I'll take the CDRs off you as I intend to produce more of my retro retarded rubbish released on a CD "coaster" annually, mate.

I'll see Bob's bits are put to very good use, fella!

16. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    I insist on sending you something, Paul. After all, one good deed, indeed, deserves another... most of your disks are DVDs, yeah? Ah well, I'm really looking for CDRs but never mind, I might become a back-alley retro dodgy film producer, as looking at the kind of shite that Bazza Retro Films are pumping out of late, video nasties are all the rage in this part of Ull:

17. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Many thanks, Al.
    Those would do very nicely, cheers.
    Guts gone into overdrive overnight... now got the trots again an queasy feeling just above where the pains began.
    Hoping to god they don't return.
    Have a good weekend, guys and keep well.

18. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Have vowed never to return to A&E, Paul, but much appreciate your concerns and advice.

Am going to see how the next week goes - if there's an improvement with taking the A/Bs and other pills and avoiding tea, coffee & alcohol and reducing gluten intake.

If I'm still in trouble, I'll book a private consultancy, mate.

Fingers x'd it won't come to that but I just don't have time to give up 20-30hrs sat in HRI A&E.