1. Not old. Vintage. :)

Style Chooser

Discussion in 'System Updates' started by Timothy Kline, Mar 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Timothy Kline Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Articles:
    I've added a different-colored style to the Club, for those interested. Might add a few more as we go along.

The Style Chooser is a bit obscure, however.

Scroll allllllllll the way to the bottom of any page on the Club and you should see, in the lower left:

[​IMG]

Click or tap on "Atari Owner Primary Template" and a box should open with the following options:

[​IMG]

Click on any of the Atari Owner styles that are labeled according to the primary color of that style.

Although Corp. and Modern Gamer are shown as styles, I would not recommend them, as they require additional customization on the back-end that I will not be doing, and I have disabled them as user selectable so they shouldn't be displaying at all for you. Maybe I'm seeing them since I'm logged in as an Admin... in which case, disregard the bit about those two Style options.

Default Style is as it says: Basic, default look for the Club. Some might like it, so it's available.

That's it for this particular System Update. See you online!

--Tim

M.D.Baker likes this.
  2. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    It was actually one of the first things I investigated when you started your site, as I rarely prefer the default style on most forums. But it wasn't set-up yet at that time. I've chosen green for now, as it's my favorite color, but I'll check the others out too, eventually.

3. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Blog Posts:
    Articles:
    Good morning, everyone!

This morning, I discovered that making slider changes and other adjustments to a style does NOT carry across to the other board styles I had available here on the Club. Until I can decide how I want to keep things uniform regardless of a preferred style selected, I have set everyone back to the site's default, which should be "Blue."

I'll update when I have more thoughts, but I definitely wanted to post the unplanned, immediate change. o_O

Thanks and apologies,
    --Tim

Andy Barr likes this.
  4. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    No big deal, it's not a real style changer anyway, like other boards, just a color change. I checked them out and just left it on the last one I checked.

5. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Blog Posts:
    Articles:

Thanks, Matt, for that.

And actually, if time and life wasn't what it is for me, I could really customize the styles. The color scheme idea was me testing the waters with the board's styles. But a style can completely change the look and feel of the board. I could develop a completely retro style, for example.

What I didn't know (but do now) is that the sliders have to be mirrored across each style, and several other adjustments that I'd been working on with layout and look likewise don't sync across the styles.

I'd rather spend my time recovering Sectors from my Evernotes for you all than fuss with syncing Styles that (at least at this stage) are purely color-oriented and nothing else. ;)

--Tim

M.D.Baker likes this.
  6. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    It's good to know the possibility of different styles is available, but you probably have many other things higher on your list that you want to do to and for the board, so no hurry or worry. You've done far more than I would have on my own site by this time, if I was an administrator. Though I also know networks and BBS's and forums are a part of your hobby as the electronic tinkering is for me, so of course you'd be at it with more enthusiasm like I am with electronics modding/hacking. But even I get tired of it once in a while. I've had this notion for about 5 years that I could actually have all my hardware up and running (with all the upgrades I want) properly for a while, so I could do many other projects using the computers, rather than the computers always being the projects, like has been so far.:sour:

Timothy Kline likes this.
  7. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Blog Posts:
    Articles:

It was a really good week, productivity-wise, for me. I managed to go through all of the PC floppies I'd received with various XTs I'd picked up early on. Out of some 100 or so floppies, only 3 still worked and hadn't been impacted by rot. Frequent head cleanings, of course.

Also eyeballed all of the Atari floppies I have, and got things better situated on that front, placing the commercial software separately from the oodles of random-file disks in the drawer.

And I was able to wrap up a full scan-to-digital of a software I'd purchased full rights to a few years back. Scanned in all of the original program listings, manuals, and programmer notes in case of fire or disaster and the originals vanish.

Considering a partial tear-down of my Atari workstation to make things more accessible. Room is at a premium, but I've also let things go a bit slack and sloppy as I work on things there.

And as soon as my batteries arrive today, I'll be dumping two unheard-of cassette titles for the Atari community— one a Synapse title and the other a 600XL audio tutorial/instruction tape.

As for the Style situation, yeah, I want to get this one all where I like it (I think it's pretty spot-on at this point) and then, if I ever get around to it, at least put one of the other ones together for some fun changes. ;)

--Tim

[​IMG]

M.D.Baker likes this.
  8. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    :ROFL:

I can't wait to find out what the Synapse title is, they are one of my favorite Atari publishers, games or applications.

9. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Blog Posts:
    Articles:

I guess you could say this Club is a labor of love, yeah, so doing what I can here (I'm hardly a coder by any stretch of the imagination but I can do some things) makes me feel like something I CAN give back to everything you guys put into the discussions and activity.

I'll read Graham's posts on the electronics side of things and think, man, I can barely understand what he's saying— what can I possibly add here? And the answer is nothing, apart from encouraging him to keep right on going because it IS fascinating... and magical to those of us who can't wrap our heads around the electrical aspects of a given project. And appreciate that we have someone of that caliber here, which I REALLY REALLY do!

And Matt— you're insane with the pace and amount of things you seem to be able to accomplish. I know you peck at yourself that 5 years have gone by, but it isn't always about the goal so much as the journey. I am amazed at your goings-on and envious!

Then there's the other swabbers of the deck, Andy, Paul, Vyper, Thark, Klyde, Vulcan, and all the rest of you whose showing up here and chewing the fat, too, motivates me to make the place into somewhere someone wants to come back to... because this feels like the primary way that I can tell you Thank You guys, for being you and for sharing your interests, common and diverse, with folks here. Not big. Just comfortable.

Like Matt, I imagine the realization of several projects, although mine are all software-based, but it's been years and at least this Club is something I can provide now, and do some good with it as a place for the best-of-the-best curated 8-bit information around, all the while enjoying the great company and fine drinks that all of you bring to the pub... er, Club.

Thank you, as always!
    --Tim
    An Atari owner