1. Not old. Vintage. :)

The color of black light

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by M.D.Baker, Mar 4, 2022.

1. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I didn't really know how I should title this thread, and so went for the intriguing click-bate style of title, even though I know you guys would read the thread anyway.

So, I bought a black light florescent bulb for my vintage drafting light about a year ago, I don't think I ever mentioned it here, but that's partly because stuff doesn't photograph well under black light, that is, it just looks like a dim blue light source lighting everything (as you can see in the background of this photo, much of it looks much cooler in real life), and not the popping florescent colors you can see in real life, but in this case I decided to attempt a photo because it looks so cool in real life. And it photoed pretty well, not quite as glowing florescent orange as in real life still, but you guys can get the idea from the photo.

The red and black Starmaster joystick I was just talking up in a sort of review and follow-up after Paul's comments, glows an incredible florescent orange under the black light. And since I mainly use the black light in the dark while gaming, sort of a nostalgic nod to the old-school arcades that were dark and had black lights and all the arcade machines nearby glowed. At least the arcade I frequented as a kid and teenager was like that. It was call GALAXY WORLD.

So I just had to show you guys the Starmaster as it looks while I use it playing Star Raiders or some such in my dark, black lit room. It still doesn't look so cool, in the photo, in fact, it almost looks normal, just a bit more orange than it's usual red. But keep in mind this picture was taken without flash in a completely dark room with only the Black light on. For me, looking at it live, everything lit up blue is just dark and only the brighter stuff you see is glowing.

20220304_213335.jpg 20220304_213325.jpg 20220304_213351.jpg

nysavant likes this.