1. We're in the beta phase now!

The Plague of 2369

Discussion in 'SIG: Atari 8-Bit Software' started by Timothy Kline, Mar 17, 2020.

1. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

Timothy Kline Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Articles:
    All this talk of COVID-19 has me thinking of what games (and movies, which will have its own topic) I should go back and enjoy again. Feel free to suggest your own!

Starting things off with ANALOG's Bacterion...

2. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    One film that hits a note straight away is Outbreak with Dustin Hoffman

Game wise, I'll have a think...Bio Defence

Oh and the king of the plague movies for me is the incredible 28 Days Later, it took the Zombie film in a whole new way especially the fast zombies, no more staggering hands out crap, proper running chasing buggers. Launched the career of Cillian Murphy and the epic empty London and Motorway shots just sold it all (all shot around 4am as the sun was just coming up over multiple mornings.

3. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    I've been watching a Netflix show called 'Kingdom' which just started it's second "season" (6 episodes) and it deals with a plague in ancient China where people are also turned into "zombies" but they also run too, but are still mindless monsters that will run straight into your sword, etc. It's a pretty good take on the old theme, which a show has to be for me to watch anymore if it's dealing with "zombies."

Someone started a thread on AA similar to this one too, listing all the plague type games.

I also liked 28 days later. Outbreak is o.k. too.

4. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    My wife loves Outbreak, I see it as cheesy as hell but the message is there. Oddly I wasn't a fan of 28 Days later, it was sort of obvious at every point, you knew what was going to happen and to who, also I preferred the more bleak side of 28 days later, not too many people and you cared for them but as with all films its purely personal.

Also liked the fact they did an alternate ending for 28 days which I won't spoil.

Must have a look for Kingdom, I'm quite fussy over Zombie movies, I do want story and not just SFX and gore, if the film isn't taking itself seriously as in Zombieland then its ok but if its say the original dawn of the dead then I want it not to be a joke fest, Zombieland lays out its store from the get go and I really like it for that, Double Tap not so much.

Too many B or C grade Zombie films tho, always a large breasted girl who just happens to give it about and you know she's gonna get nailed by the zombies during sex, gimme a break.. Friday the 13th did that all those years ago with a young Kevin Bacon 'on the job', wasn't Zombies but seen it done it and got the sticky tee shirt..

Gamewise I found it hard to find old games that focused on plague / epidemics..

5. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    I think you will like Kingdom, the zombie aspect is only a part of the whole that adds some excitement but it is a good story of royal intrigue, betrayal, treason, and the true prince trying to regain the throne and save the nation.

6. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Matt for the heads up...