1. Not old. Vintage. :)

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN PLAYING THIS WEEK?

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by nysavant, Jan 23, 2022.

1. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    As the title states, let's hear what games or applications you have been playing around with lately.

For me, the main one has been Realsports Tennis on the Atari 2600! Such a simple version of the game but the controls are spot on and it's really fun to pick up and play for ten minutes. I don't have a 2600 anymore so been playing it on the Evercade.

Also, Pillars on the C64. Nice Columns/Tetris style puzzle game that is good to relax with. The latest firmware update for TheC64 also added a version of Warlords called Space Lords. That is so addictive and has a one more shot feel to it :)

Andy Barr likes this.
  2. by AlexDrito
    AlexDrito

AlexDrito Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Lately, I've been coding in doped Basic with the c64, the Vic-20, Plus/4 and c128. Most of all generating fractals in Simons Basic (64) and SuperExpander vic1211m jap edition (Vic). The expansions provide the default basic v2 with graphical commands and high resolution tools. No need for basic 3.5 (plus/4) and 7.0 (c128). Details of this work in the current and next issue of RetroMagazine World.

Games: Chessmaster 2000 (c64 vice emulator) levels 1 and 2, Tapper (real c64), Dig Dug (Atari 600xl upgraded to 64k)

Andy Barr and nysavant like this.
  3. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Tapper was a great game, good choice.
    Any programming knowledge I learned during my college days is well gone now so I envy you there.
    What is doped Basic though?

Andy Barr likes this.
  4. by AlexDrito
    AlexDrito

AlexDrito Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Tapper is a great game. A little difficult for me starting from 3rd level... ok, I'll be honest. I'm not a great gamer and being over 50 now doesn't help with skill and speed games. I was fascinated by the arcade versions you could play at bars and game arcades in the 80s. And the C64 version is well done.

You can easily go back to your days of college, just start typing a program for your favorite machine. Your brain will do the rest digging through memories. Once you have learned to go on a bike, you can't forget.
    Ref, https://www.retromagazine.net/getrm.php?id=12_eng

Sorry, by "doped" BASIC, I meant the C64 and Vic-20 BASIC v2 equipped with extensions like Simons' Basic or the Super Expander cartridge. Easy to add them on an emulator such as VICE. But TheC64-MAXI can also run these additional ROMS. It can even start REU games like the recent Sonic! Pure fun!

Andy Barr likes this.
  5. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Captain

Blog Posts:
    I brought various carts for the Vic20 and C64, I had the Super Expander, never used it, still can't figure out what made me buy it. Had the sound sampler for the C64 and the FM synth cart also for the C64, those got lots of use BITD.

As for playing, not a lot as my spine is telling me to stop picking up the joystick for so long. Was play Star Wars: The fallen order and Rise of the Tomb Raider, both PS4, finished Rise OTTR on Xbox360 but got the expanded version real cheap for the PS4. Both excellent games.

Retro wise, I also had a taste for the Rockstar Table Tennis a week back, seemed good fun. As for real retro stuff, Gunhed PC Engine got a bash, but not much else.

Coding wise, I get days where I yearn to code something for either C64 or Atari but as much as I remember, most often used locations and what they are for I just give up at the last min, I do watch 8 Bit Show and Tell and he makes me want to try again. At the end of the day I'm not up to coding a game, did start one on the Atari with a nice smooth scrolling playfield and a few PM's on the Atari but I started to run out of idea's for the game logic. These days all I'm good for is a fancy DLI in assembler and messing around with the screen, sort of demo type stuff but way less advanced. I'm just glad I still remember the mnemonics and the code which is handy for my one fave thing, cheating a game :)

Nice thread Al, wish I could more excited with the 2600, I never had one but I do like Yars Revenge, I've more time for the Nes, again a machine I didn't really own (was given one but gave it away almost straight away as carts were too expensive for me then.) There's some real classy games on the Nes and certainly the best version of Spelunker I've seen.

Enjoy what you are playing guys, wish I didn't ache so much or I'd join you :)

Paul..

Andy Barr likes this.
  6. by AlexDrito
    AlexDrito

AlexDrito Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Paul, if you still have that Super Expander for the Vic-20, I'd like to give it a try. The reason why you bought it is you had the hope to upgrade the vic-20 to something similar to an usable computer... The VIC-1211A (the US/European version of that cartridge, whereas the Japanese edition was marked VIC-1211M) basically extended the number of commands available to the user and it also included +3K of precious RAM to the default 5K. Moreover, without that little expansion you couldn't even use the additional commands for hires, disk, programming, etc.

Consoles have never been my knack, but I remember I was always charmed by the speed of graphics of the NES/SNES/2600/etc.

Yes, Al, a nice thread. it can be a nice incentive to remember and play titles that you all consider playable and unmissable. I'll update it with my selections in the future too.

Andy Barr likes this.
  7. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Alex, if I had it you would have been most welcome, sadly it and a lot of my stuff went when my mother died (it was all in storage at her place). As it was sheltered housing, the warden just forgot to mention the flat was going to be emptied and all my gear gone in a skip.

So annoyed, I had a prototype board for the Atari, a C128, 1541 with Dolphin DOS, 2 C64's, numerous Atari's and disks, carts etc etc..

8. by AlexDrito
    AlexDrito

AlexDrito Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    What a pity! It reminds me of when my mother decided to throw away all my magazines collected in 20 years of passion for C64, Amiga, PC, videogames, chess and much more. More than 300 magazines ended up in the rubbish bin, without even warning me in time. Unfortunately I didn't have time to take them out of my parents' house yet, so they are now lost forever. How sad!

9. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Yep, broke my heart, as it must have yours.

I had the same with my C64 cassette collection, hundreds of real tapes that I had to get rid of because my house was being repossessed. I offered them on a few C64 forums for people to just come and pick them up, no cost. Not one person showed interest, so many games in perfect condition..

In the end, I had to bin them... People would kill for them now...

AlexDrito likes this.
  10. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Terribly sad to hear, fellas, how so much retro goodness was all lost in a few hrs careless binning.

My family of chins are sat here shuddering in disbelief but I too have been threatened with my classic collection being left on the pavement (crazy ex-girlfriend back in the 90s) and also two "mates" I loaned part collections to then reported them as going "missing".... my Amiga gear loaned to one guy (boxes of disks "disappeared") and my Atari 8bit collection (hardware "vanished"). All very odd and all designed to make our blood boil but at the end of the day, we have still maintained our micros and our credibilities... in my case, only just!

PS. As you know from some of my arcade bartop videos, I've been having a thrash at:

JOUST (bloody marvellous and way under-rated, played, I feel by many a gamer - get it ON!)

DEFENDER (OK, you might prefer Dropzone and I don't blame you, but the speed, demands on the players number of active fingers/hands and the sound effects all make it SECOND TO NONE IMHO!). Deffo got that "one more go" itch, too. My high - a modest 19,250.

Like Alex, DIG DUG - Atari classic version every bit as good as the arcade release. High score at mo of 20,410.

JUNO FIRST - insane shoot em up action from the early 80s.

FOOTBALL MANAGER - ZX81 original version, please. Slow, ancient and on higher skill levels maddeningly difficult to "get going" on a winning run up the league but oh so full of pure nostalgic sentimentality and game coding genius... Kevin Toms.... have my babies etc.

TIME PILOT - you spin me right round baby, right round... love it - recently scored 94,200 but didnt quite clear the jets and hit the UFO stage but incredibly satisfying all the same (video to follow soon)

UP N DOWN - Such fun jumping the computer controlled "baja buggies" and collecting flags on that zig zagging course (Atari 8bit classic version by Sega very playable too) Again, clip to upload and follow too.

Finally, for now, WIZARD OF WOR - mental maze blast em game (a little like Robotron) with speech synth back from the day when it really gave you the WOW factor! Will upload too shortly... me best so far, a meagre 10,100.

Game on, Al, and the lads.

You know it makes sense.

nysavant and AlexDrito like this.
  11. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Time Pilot is a great little shooter. I hadn't even heard of it until the A8 port was released. Think I'll have a few games of it this weekend in fact :)

Andy Barr likes this.
  12. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    I think me and Kevin need to have a little chat with you about the birds and the bee's.. :)

13. by AlexDrito
    AlexDrito

AlexDrito Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Hey Baz, did you really have the time to play all these titles last week?
    Well, most of them are unknown works to me, mostly because of the platform, but given your good taste, I am sure they are something to give a try to. So thanks for your suggestions.

I'll try and stay away from Football Manager, though. If I ever start a new session with it, I'll get stuck to it for weeks, that's for sure. Last time it happened, I was testing an online emulator of the BBC Micro. In the list of available games there was a version of FM, not sure it was Kevin Toms', but I forgot to test the emulator and the environment and spent the whole month trying to bring Crewe Alexandra up to Premiership and winning European Cups. :)

14. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    All the titles are good games and well worth a look, can't say I share the love of management games despite being in management at work, whilst I like football, management games leave me cold. Just me, so many others love them..

15. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Oh and a retro set of gems, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 on the Gamecube and Wii for part 2..

If you love a platformer then just dive in, simply luscious graphics and good old Nintendo Mario game play.. Fun, challenging and a treat to the eye..

Both work almost flawlessly on Dolphin but for the real deal play them on their consoles, just for the little, and I do mean little, input lag on the emulator.

16. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    LOL!
    It's maybe the Kevin Toms beard that does it for me, Paul - I'm irresistably drawn by the slow screen updates and flicker vision too of the score updates on the old dex-ex eighty one Footie Manager and by all means, Kev can keep my full away day release and have my footie babies any time he fancies!??? (Hello? Hello? Is that the Retro Mental Helpline?? Hello? Yes, I'm handing mesen in...)
    When I say I played them ALL last week, Alex, maybe 4-5 of them but sincerely, since the New Year, I've been having regular games sessions on the Arcade Cab Bartop as a means of unwinding from me mam's present illness as I'm afraid she has been admitted to hospital suffering from a complete breakdown (her hubby was admitted last year and god bless her she's been struggling to cope on her own ever since).
    Anyhow, me and my sis have been supporting mum as much as possible but her condition is quite draining and emotively exhausting for all concerned so as you can well appreciate, guys, a blast on an old retro fave of mine is just the medicine I need and works brilliantly as an escape valve.
    Time Pilot is indeed excellent, Al - they're real bastards to clear the helicopters and the jets as they fire heat seaking missiles at you which fly up yer ass (nothing to do with Kevin there, btw, Paul). The biplanes and Spitfires are hard enough to clear but believe me, you need to be an ace to progress to the UFOs!
    Take care one and all and ENJOY your gaming too.
    It's essential we all unwind - regularly.

AlexDrito likes this.
  17. by AlexDrito
    AlexDrito

AlexDrito Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear about your mom, Baz. I hope everything will turn out to be good for her health and yours. Playing games is indeed a good way to put your mind away from worries at least for a while. Thanks again for sharing your preferences with us.

Andy Barr likes this.
  18. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    I missed the bit about your mother Baz, as you know I can share empathy with you re this..Horrible experience but one that is out of our hands, all you can do is offer support but don't forget your own mental health. As Alex says, diving in to games / music or whatever makes you smile is so important. Some people think, "why should I be having fun when they are not" but it's so important that your head is in order, so you can help them the best way possible. Lurching from misery to misery is a bad move, I know.

You are doing what needs to be done..