1. Not old. Vintage. :)

What's new Pussycat too?

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by M.D.Baker, May 4, 2020.

1. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I keep looking at Fujinet and trying to decide if I need it, I'm not a big printer of stuff and I've got so much on the AVG cart that remote access would be nice but not super needed. Also I was seeing the posts re odd noises coming from them..

I'm struggling to justify it but on the other hand I hate not having the goto toy :)

The problem with that is I need to generate cash which really could go elsewhere but I am 60 in June and fancy a treat..

Have to be grown up about this and pass on it at the moment...

M.D.Baker and nysavant like this.
  2. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Join the club Paul. As much as I works have lined one out would been an unaffordable luxury. As a present though, it's ace :)
    Plus nice bits like being able to copy files to your sd card from the TNFS servers is pretty neat as well.

In other news, I did sell my digital camera yesterday as its hardly been used and I tend to just use my phone camera instead. So I decided to treat myself to the AVG cart while RetroLemon has stock. Bang goes the new yacht!

M.D.Baker and Graham like this.
  3. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Very cool @nysavant ! I really haven't had an interest in using the PDF's to print from my deskjet printouts that look identical to my real dot-matrix printer, and I'd missed it's classic noises too. But if you don't have a classic printer, Fujinet is definitely one good answer.

I've been spending time with Platoterm (Platoterm is the software for Atari and other 8/16-bit systems, the server/network is known as Plato) through Fujinet, starting with the 1.4 version made for Fujinet, but it's a Fujinet version of 1.3 which is "Platoterm lite" and there are some features missing, including my favorite, choosing a controller option to use with it. For me it's mouse, trak-ball or touch tablet, all of which work very fast and smooth, unlike the joystick with Platoterm which crawls across the screen like a snail and make Platoterm a pain to use. Platoterm 1.0 has all the features and controller options, so I've been working on getting it installed on my CF HD and running it through SDX with the traditional R: handler. But so far when I try to load Platoterm 1.0 I'm getting a "not enough memory" error, on my 1MB Atari! So obviously I must have something else in memory that Platoterm 1.0 is trying to use, so I have to see if I can figure it out. It should work without the special Fujinet 1.4 edition since Fujinet is supposed to be 100% compatible with R:handlers and all the legacy software that uses it. I'm sure it is, but I am also brand new to the entire Fujinet wifi/BT/N: handler as well as the R: handler.

But anyway, Platoterm is something to marvel at. It plays vintage multi-player games, including probably the first ever MMO RPG! But also chat rooms and development and my favorite part so far; thousands and thousands of archived high-school and college level academic lessons and series with real working "lab" programs to go along with them, under the menu option 'catalog.' Yesterday I studied a lesson on astronomy regarding astronomical bodies and gravitational forces show animated examples of orbits and crashing bodies! Next, I jumped to a lesson on the Atom and it's structure with electrons, neutrons and positrons and their orbit energy levels around the nucleus and how many electrons can orbit in the same "planes" and then went through examples of most of the elements and how many electrons they have, what energy orbits they occupy and how many electrons per energy orbit level makes a given element. I've already forgotten all the terms and whatnot but I've actually learned new things.

There are courses/lessons on Plato that range the entire spectrum of academics and everyone can find lessons and courses of interest. It's amazing, archived stuff from high schools and universities from the last 55 years, finally going obsolete completely in 2015, then revived in 2018 with Cyber1.net server and in 2019/20 with Irataonline.net where there is apparently a growing 8-bit community including most 8-bit machines that has a membership of about 600 people now, and new programs and lessons, tutorials, whatever being entered now by all of them! It's all done in an incredibly legible 80-column font with text and graphics freely interacting in the system, programmed with a language similar to BASIC known as TUTOR. You can become a member of Irata.Online and also ask for "developer/teacher" level member access so you can program your own stuff for it.

I'll be learning a lot for my 8-bit Atari robot project from courses and lessons about robots and A.I. right on Plato!

20210301_122710.jpg 20210301_122745.jpg 20210301_122803.jpg 20210301_122831.jpg 20210301_122912.jpg

nysavant likes this.
  4. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    If any Fujinet users are interested in checking out Plato and Platoterm, the latest Fujinet version is on the irata.online TNSF server under the directory "comms" listed as Plato.atr. Just mount it to Fujinet drive 1 and option to boot! Just sign in as member "guest" and group "guest." At the irata.online web site on the normal internet is a page to request membership which I filled out yesterday, and you will receive and email giving you instructions needed for access as a member on Fujinet. The group you choose is solely based on what computer you will be using Plato/Platoterm on; for me, it's Atari, but all other popular 8/16-bit computers have versions now or coming, and if you use Platoterm (or Pterm for some computers, like a modern PC for example) on a C64 or ZX Spectrum, Amiga, ST, Apple II, IBM, even NeXT workstation, etc., you choose the group for your computer.

Andy Barr, Graham and nysavant like this.
  5. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    My AVG Cart arrived first thing this morning. Pretty excellent service considering I only ordered it on Sunday from RetroLemon :)

Been able to load some .car files on real hardware for the first time and also got the SIO mod so have been trying out multigame .atr images with no problems.

I know the AVG can also emulate Side2 which I don't have any experience of or what it actually does, so that might be next to explore. Between this and the FujiNet my Atari's have never had it so good!

M.D.Baker likes this.
  6. by Vulcanman
    Vulcanman

Vulcanman Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    M.D.Baker and Andy Barr like this.
  7. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:

Nice one, Andy.

Which ones are your stand out ones, so far, any decent utils or demos?

I've got quite a few of these too and I do give them a run out from time to time...

Once more, time is something that is completely tied-up this end with either f/t work or f/t further house demolition.

Here's a view tonight of our landing as the walls come down and we prepare to put up a new staircase to the attic:

upload_2021-3-17_20-35-45.png

I'll be in touch soon, fellas.

Up to our (dusty) eyeballs here.

M.D.Baker likes this.
  8. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Is that going to be a new man cave up there Andy?

9. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Fraid not, Al.

It's currently all in boxes up there but it's the spare bedroom in case Alan Sugar or any of you retronauts ever drop by, mate.

The room that's earmarked for my retro bits is at the back of the house and currently has an exercise bike in there so I'm already battling for space.

All being well, I'm getting some new "modern" display units to stick my bits in for display purposes... I should maybe rephrase that(!)

Will update you when we get that far, fella.

Hope you're all keeping well on here.

PS. Got my Covid 1st jab date for this coming Friday 4:25 at a pharmacy not 2 miles from here - not bad considering I only booked it 30mins ago and the only other option was some place in Grimsby some 20+ miles away.

I'm just bracing myself now for the extra limbs, gills and antennae I'm bound to grow following the blessed needed needle.

nysavant likes this.
  10. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Not a man cave, a nursery :)

Better start now, after the jab your bits may explode...

Finally getting a side effect from my jab, my arm is very tender around the injection point..

So far that's it and I hope it stays that way..

I'll let thee get back to the never ending house, must feel like groundhog day at times..

Andy Barr likes this.
  11. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I'm busy still working on my house to @Andy Barr , currently in the middle of taping and floating the laundry "room" then painting when it is done. Then it's too the exterior where I have to replace some window trim I installed 2-3 years ago, and never got a chance to properly paint yet, so some of it has rotted. I'm going with vinyl trim this time. Also painting the exterior now that the weather is warmer.

I just received a new Atari toy. A reproduction Diamond GOS 3.0 board to replace the one I lost a quarter century ago. I still have all the manuals for it at least, since I'll be relearning it. I will be seeing if it can work with SDX, as when it was made, SD 3.1/3.2 was the latest. But if I have too, I can set up a separate partition on my CF APT HDD to boot SD 3.2 and Diamond GOS. Now I have to print a cart case for it. Currently I am printing a case for my Ralf David XL/XE eprom burner I downloaded from Dropcheck's Bits of the Past store site.

20210318_095336.jpg
    20210318_100214.jpg

I also have a bunch more toys and tools on the way that I ordered yesterday after receiving the U.S. stimulus check (direct deposit actually) a new 120" projection screen for my projector is one, so I can finally get it set up again and start gaming and watching movies the way God intended! But I also order a few things for the Atari systems including a ream of paper for my dot-matrix printer as well as two brand-new old stock ribbon cartridges I found for it on Amazon, so no more re-inking my old ones! Yay!. I also ordered another 20 NOS floppy disks.

Vyper68 and Andy Barr like this.
  12. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    120"...Wow

Great work there Matt...I'm due to join in the decorating but yesterday my left knee gave way and its hurting like hell, think the tissue has gone again and its grinding so just standing up is hard to manage..

Not impressed...

Have fun with the 'toys' Matt..Mind you, I've had a treat, a couple of second hand blu rays, would love to see them on that projector but until I win the lottery my 46(?)" TV will do :)

Vyper68, Andy Barr and M.D.Baker like this.
  13. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Paul, actually my projector can project up to 200", but a 120" projection screen is all I have room for, and plenty considering the size of the room and distance from the screen seating will be. But this is the first time I'll ever have a real projection screen for proper contrast and brightness. In the past it was either a white wall or big squares of white foam-backed poster board, so the image was never as good as it could have been, but acceptable.

Vyper68 and Andy Barr like this.
  14. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Avengers End Game on that...Yummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Go for it Matt, sounds great...

Vyper68, Andy Barr and M.D.Baker like this.
  15. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Nothing new on the computer end since the FujiNet and AVG a few weeks ago. But I have started collecting Subbuteo again! Anyone else here play it when they were younger? It ties in nicely with my Roy of the Rovers library :)

Andy Barr and M.D.Baker like this.
  16. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Well I have my accommodation already sorted but will be down Yorkshire way the week beginning 3rd May if your good self or any other Atarians are about for a sociable distance meet up and brew :)

Andy Barr and M.D.Baker like this.
  17. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    I always liked the idea idea of subbuteo, I think it was because I like to build models but I was never much good at it despite being a keen footballer as a kid (right wing and goal keeper, odd mix). I was always over flicky :)

Roy of the Rovers, brings back memories..What was the other comic strip, Tough of the track???

Was about a guy who lived off the land and did mad stuff like bathe in ice cold streams but was a sporting genius....Used to like that, can't remember what comic it was in..

Edit: One google later, Alf Tupper, Tough of the track...Great memories

Andy Barr, Vyper68 and nysavant like this.
  18. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Tough of the track I remember that :)
    I also had Hotspur annuals and Commando magazines as well...
    I used to play Subbuteo back in the 70’s/80’s and I used to have England and Aston Villa. I don’t think they ever made a Darlington set did they?

Andy Barr likes this.
  19. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I picked up an issue one ZX81 last week with the RAM pack so I scratch built a Back Porch/Composite mod based on JasperColoumb’s circuit.
    The transformer had dry solder joints which needed attention and was the cause of the resets listed in the listing. Easy fix though and one a new membrane later it works fine.

Andy Barr likes this.
  20. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    I collected comics as a kid, mostly American ones but I also had some brit stuff like the little commando titles and Beano and Dandy. Still got a wadge of US DC and Marvel comics from the 70's which I've managed to carry around, must flog them before they crumble :)

As for a Darlington set, hmmmmm....You never know...

Andy Barr and Vyper68 like this.
  21. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Richie, what was the C64 thing you sent Andy, just being nosey, I know the Pi1541 hat but can't make out the other thing..

22. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Found a thing the Ultimate 1541 does not do well and that is running Jiffy Dos..It allows you to use an alternative kernal for both the C64 and the emulated 1541 but as fast as it is as a loader its buggy as hell on the 1541 ultimate..

Real Jiffy Dos no problem it seems, was going to order a set from the US for 20.00 dollars but as I don't have a real 1541 and I don't know where the issue is with the emulated 1541 it seems pointless...

23. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    It is a clone of the SuperSnapshot V5 which is the US cart the Action Replay was based on. So poke finder, sprite killer, machine code monitor etc.

Andy Barr likes this.
  24. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    The Pi1541 lets you run JiffyDOS for it’s 1541 and 1581 emulation and it works 100% I bought the ROM image set rather than physical so I could burn my own and make some dual OS versions.

Andy Barr likes this.
  25. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Ah...Yes, played with it....As said, a basic clone for the US...

Cheers...