1. Not old. Vintage. :)

What's new Pussycat too?

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by M.D.Baker, May 4, 2020.

1. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I know over the years I've always promised pictures of my house I've been rebuilding, but I always forget. With Andy showing all the remodel work he's done of the past couple of years I finally remembered and decided it was time for a few pics anyway. This is of the laundry/kitchen/living room area which is one big, long, open room with a vaulted ceiling and pictures of my bathroom, which is finished except for wall/floor/window trim and the door will be painted white to match. All the doors in the house will be painted white to match the trim.

I finally have a few days to catch up on my remodeling, trying to finish the kitchen and living room up in time for the holidays. I had hoped to have it finished before the last holiday season, but life got in the way.

Anyway, we are trying to get the flooring in and painting and trim done by Thanksgiving (we have company coming, so the rush is on). Though one thing that won't be done before the holidays is the center island I want to build to give separation to the room between the living and kitchen areas. It will be just the other side of the wood burning stove. So painting, flooring and trim by Thanksgiving. And the wall were the stove and counter are, with the fake bricks will get painted too, and a brushed metal backsplash added all around. I still need to get the hardware (handles, etc.) for the cupboards too.

So that's part of my humble home, for now. Of course it's a complete mess right now, the after shot will be a nice, clean, tidy and finished area. And I'm standing in the living room area, so you don't see much of it in the picture, but I'll show other angles when it's completed.

20211119_122350.jpg

20211119_125804.jpg 20211119_125726.jpg 20211119_125751.jpg

nysavant and Andy Barr like this.
  2. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Cheers for those pics, Matt,
    Just like us this time last year, it's a race against time to get things just so and how you want em to look so as to be able to celebrate all your hard work with family/friends when we like to get together and eat, drink, be merry and catch up on all the stuff life chucks at us.
    You're doing sterling work there on the shower room/bathroom and kitchen as I know virtually all your work you are carrying out yourself on top of everything else you do to keep the home on an even keel and ensure everyone's fine and dandy.
    You've also had the recent heartbreak of the loss of your beloved pets so we can appreciate you've had a massive amount of stuff going on.
    Wishing you all the very best on hitting your finished work home improvement targets by Thanksgiving, bud.
    By my reckoning, you;ve got...
    six days, mate...
    Good luck, fella!!

M.D.Baker likes this.
  3. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    It's funny sometimes how you don't notice how dirty something is until you see it in a picture! I'm referring to my cabinets under the sink in the kitchen. I need to get those cleaned! A high traffic area by the sink that we rub up against a lot. That's probably mostly from me too, as I wash up my hands , arms and face at the kitchen sink after doing oily, greasy mechanic work. Which is pretty constant with all the machines I have to maintain, in fact, I'm currently replacing the drum brakes on my Blazer, but jumped on the house remodeling while I wait for parts to be delivered. So it's most likely a result of my dirty jeans rubbing the cabinets while washing.:rolleyes:

Andy Barr likes this.
  4. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Andy. My brother is doing the painting and helping me with the flooring, but I had to do all the taping and floating as he's never done that before. He also finished painting the metal roof, something that I left half done for a couple of years as I just didn't have time with proper weather to ever finish it. He also finished up the last quarter of the floor insulation under the house I hadn't finished either. But that's it, the rest of the total rebuild (except for the roof, it was still solid) was all me.

The roof, the one wall were the stove and cabinets are, about half the sub-floor and of course the joists and foundation which were also still solid, are the only things left original. I had to rebuild everything else after my uncle let it all go to pot, the drunk he was, living in it for 25 years after my grandparents died. But it would have cost about twice as much if I tore it all down and started all over with a totally new house. I managed to save the roof by rebuilding the outer walls in 8 foot sections at a time, bracing the areas with 2x4 planks and a bottle jacks to hold the areas steady while tearing out the old wall sections and fitting in the new wall sections, so it wouldn't collapse. That was a major task, especially alone, but I did it.

The reason the house is long and narrow (75'x16'), like your town house Andy, is that about 40 years ago it actually was a mobile home. But my grandfather tore it all down to the steel/iron frame, still using that as the floor joists, then built a foundation under it, then built a real house on top of it all. He did it all himself pretty much like me. We plan on adding on of course, and when we are done it won't look long and narrow anymore, even though half of it will still be long and narrow inside.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    Andy Barr likes this.
  5. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Nice one, Matt.
    That was my impression too - long and narrow - but with lots of interesting bits sticking out here and there.
    As you say, very much like ours (Brenski's comment once was, wow - that new kitchen could double as a bowling alley, Baz!)
    Amazing that this house of yours has had such a rich history of ad hoc add ons and building around existing structures - it makes it quite unique and the time and effort you have committed to make this home for you and making the structure solid and secure.
    It's a shame your unc hit the bottle but he won't be the first or the last to fall victim to the demon drink.
    Thank god you inherited it and were focused and driven into putting in the damn hard work, using every ounce of your skills, to save the place from total abandonment and probable collapse.
    Excellent work once more, Matt - with a little help from your bro - keep it, literally in the family.
    Builders would've charged $100,000s.

M.D.Baker likes this.
  6. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Builders would have laughed at me, said I was crazy and the whole thing needs to be torn down and build a new house. Because it's ten times easier to build new than renovate/rebuild completely. That would have cost me $100,000's. But I took a house that could have been condemned, rebuilt it myself for about $10-15,000, and when completed it will be worth $100,000, $200,000 with the ten acres.

Not that I'll sell, because I like the property, and even though it will probably only ever be my brother and I living here, the land really was inherited by me and my three siblings. But two don't care about it at all, unless we sell, then they'd want their share of course. And it's not worth it for what we'd each get divided for the land, no one could get better with their share. The house is mine though, in my name, and I'm happy to share with my brother since he's helping with everything now, and would have been destitute and homeless otherwise, but the land is the family's technically. But I couldn't get a better piece of property and house for the $125 grand I'd get in the end. I built it to last the rest of my life and for any of my sibling's children when we are gone. I've moved around a lot in my life and I'm done with that.

nysavant and Andy Barr like this.
  7. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Amen to all that, buddy.
    I think we all on here share a total empathy with what you've come through as you aint had it easy (quite the reverse) and had to work like a Trojan to get where you are today in an ever-impressive family dwelling which you have saved from total ruin. Personally, I'm full of admiration for you, pal. You always put your nearest and dearest first and know what's important in this life. Hell, some folk would have cashed in on that land ASAP and disappeared into the sunset with the proceeds of the real estate sale leaving your family to get on and save their own skins and not given a damn. You, my friend, are the salt of the earth and ensure that no one you care about will go without. First class human being and heart of gold, Matt.
    Reet, I will begin sending out my annual retro ramblings and festive bits of Christmas computer cobblers NEXT WEEK so as to arrive just in time for Easter 2022 (!?) with you guys who are far and wide, geographically speaking, of this humble Hull abode. So, weld up your mail boxes and nail up your letterboxes as something silly will be heading your ways real soon.
    Ciao for now and once more, Matt - great work there on your home. I'm sure you'll be looking real good for Thanksgiving and may all your family have a fab festive holiday and happy New Year ahead.

nysavant and M.D.Baker like this.
  8. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    TRAGEDY STRIKES MY 800CX!

I finally was able to find time during a good day to finish the clear coating of my 800CX, All went relatively well, everything turned out nice in the end. After painting all the cases, etc. and allowing to dry too the touch, I put them all up to fully cure for the last 72 or so hours. I brought them in to my Fujilab this evening and I dropped the 800's lid/cartridge door and the brittle plastic shattered (cleanly at least) right on it's hinges where the most stress is applied, and also right on the front cartridge door! So this is turning into a full broken machine restoration and not just a facelift and make-over. So I tried to be carefull, but I'm just not as agile and well-balanced as in my youth!:banghead:

20211201_185741.jpg 20211201_185806.jpg 20211201_185840.jpg

So now I am going to have to repair them! I'll have to try and hide the crack on the door, once glued, with some more white paint, I think I can make it look like it never happened as it is a clean break and only leaves a hair-line crack visible when held together. I don't know if gluing and touch-up will be good enough for the door hinges, I may have to reinforce them which will be something that shows with the door open, but I may have no choice! Wish me luck lads, as I head forward.

Any recommendations for really good plastic repair glue or resin? I'm planning on a couple of drops of super glue, to hold it tight without clamps and such, with clear Gorilla glue applied sparingly, at the same time down most of the length of the breaks in-between the super glued drops at either end, for what I think will be a better long-term glue, but it takes quite a few hours or overnight to properly cure, then light sanding and repainting.

If you boys know a better way let me know. I generally would use J.B. Weld for case and plastic part repairs or hacks, which I believe to be the best, but that is before any painting is done and I can properly sand it smooth. At this point going that route would require a complete paint removal and restart which I hope to avoid.

I also dropped the top case of the 410 and it cracked near it's front corner, but I as able to glue and touch up before I did the clear coat. It can't be seen unless you look really close. Such brittle old plastic, as they both fell on a rug too. I knew it was brittle and have seen other accidents and shipping horrors.