1. Not old. Vintage. :)

What's new Pussycat too?

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by M.D.Baker, May 4, 2020.

1. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Rush should be an exception, if only because they are virtuoso's that never miss a beat or transition and unlike every other rock band, sound better live (now we are limited to "live" recordings with Neil's death of course) than on studio recordings! I love them because they are the fullest sounding 3-man band that ever was, since they play multiple instruments and sing and chew gum all at the same time, and Neil, with all the lyrics on top of playing the largest drum set in the history of drums!

2. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    One of my best buys of the last couple of years peripherals wise was the SID-FX board. It’s fitted in my C128 and currently have two 6581 SID’s fitted. You can mix between 6581’s and 8580’s and the board auto adjusts the voltages. The Game of Thrones theme tune in stereo is quite impressive. The ARMSID is an excellent replacement for the SID much like the POKEYMAX. All these projects are suffering from chip shortages.
    I also forgot I bought a Raspberry Pi Pico W last week as well for my microcontroller MicroPython practice.

M.D.Baker likes this.
  3. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I have an Eligoo Adruino board and Eligoo touch-screen I bought several years ago with the intension of making an SDrive Max to send along with my 800XL to a friend. I already made one for myself. But with all the loading solutions I have for my 800CX and 1200XL (Fujinet (soon x2) SD, MyIDE II CF, Incognito CF, The Cart!, SIO2PC&APE, Turbo Freezer) I never used my SDrive Max, so it went with the 800XL to my friend.

I need to use them for some project. Right now I figure I'd use the Arduino for my robot in some way; an 800 mobo and 1200XL mobo dual-brain robot with Fujinet wi-fi&BT to communicate as well as dual-PIA's I can use a port or two (8 controller ports on the 800, 6 on the 1200XL) for LAN communication within the robot too. And of course the 800 mobo will have Incognito and CF drive and Fujinet SD, the 1200XL Fujinet SD and U1MB/SIDE 3. So no need for SDrive Max in the robot either...SDrive Max just became obsolete and redundant to me before I even used it once!

4. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    This week I got a wall mounted monitor swivel stand. The two initial reasons where for more desktop real-estate and to position my monitor vertically for Rastaconverter image creation on my PC and of course for viewing on my 800CX for horizontally oriented images.

61h04spXfsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 20220724_071149.jpg 20220724_071329.jpg

Vyper68 and nysavant like this.
  5. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Nice mount Matt, like the portrait/horizontal option.

Nothing new here, in fact I've actually sold off a couple of machines and am probably down to the smallest collection that I've had in a long time. Decided that PC emulation will do for the majority of systems as I only tend to play a couple of titles on most of them. Let's call it "curated" now lol.

M.D.Baker likes this.
  6. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    On a birthday related note, I found a couple more Rush albums at good prices, hopefully the last one will arrive by the 12th of August, but one arrived already (Clockwork Angels). One used in great shape and one new, just like the first two albums.

515QhUejhCL.jpg 71-FsE+DtXL._SL1425_.jpg

Though I already have 3 of the 4 Rush albums in-hand, I have not listened to any of them yet. I'm saving them for a personal birthday "concert."

nysavant likes this.
  7. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    My RUSH album Caress of Steel finally arrived yesterday, it was listed as very good condition, but I guess they were referring more to the cover, as the vinyl LP inside looks like it was never played! More likely of course it got played once or twice and then just sat in a milk carton crate for years while the LP's on either side were used, thus some minor wear on the Album cover and slightly dented corners, etc. I'm more concerned with the vinyl obviously. I haven't had a listen yet, maybe tonight.

Also arriving yesterday was another RUSH album, on CD this time as it was never released on vinyl. Major new Album releases have been coming out on limited edition vinyl from Rush for the last 20 years or so, after CD only releases beginning in the mid 80's with Power Windows and not returning until the turn of the century, though some of the gold and platinum albums have been getting anniversary or remix editions on vinyl this century. Though being a gold or platinum album for Rush, means the vast majority of their releases over the years being third, behind only the Beatles and Rolling Stones in consecutive Gold or Platinum status albums!

Anyway, I got side-tracked there, the CD I got is their 30th anniversary tribute album to the songs that influenced them as kids and teens in the 60's. A cover song album of 8 60's covers, and they did a fantastic job on all of them, which is why I got the CD after listening to it in it's entirety on Youtube. A 2004 release (Clockwork Angels I got that I posted above was their last studio album released in 2012 after that only live and re-release albums have come out) entitled FEEDBACK

feedback-cover-600x600.jpg

8. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    On an Atari related note, I finally got around to painting and installing a 3D printed thumbstick replacement (upgrade) for one of my Jaguar controllers and I love it, so of course my other controllers will be getting the same upgrade. It's still the digital pad underneath, but uses a modern styled thumbstick and is tight and responsive with a good feel and "throw" to it. I tried Raiden and Tempest 2000 with it and was sold! I never had issue with the original thumbpads, but I do have a bunch of more modern systems I'm used to now that have them, and even my 7800 pad controller has a thumbstick and feels much better than without. I'll be adding it and a rapid fire mod to my 3-button original Jag controller for my Jag shoot-em-ups(as none need the extra buttons of the pro-controller anyway).

20220822_210745.jpg 20220822_234219.jpg

Vyper68 likes this.
  9. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    On a general vintage related note, but having to do with the vinyl material I got to make my own dust covers for the rest of my vintage electronics, I made the largest one I needed first, measuring, cutting and attaching Velcro strips instead of sewing corners. A dust cover for one of my turntables. The pro DJ one that doesn't have a protective lid like my Pioneer turntable. I also used Velcro to attach some Styrofoam cubes to the corners without the Stylus arm and in the center where the platter is, so the cover sits somewhat evenly. I think it turned out pretty good for my first attempt. I should have made it's height about an inch shorter though so it would hang instead of rest. But n uneven turntable is a lot harder to measure right than most of the peripheral device dust covers I will make.

20220818_204447.jpg

10. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Well, it's been a busy season for me, but with the scorching summer heat finally coming to an end here in Oklahoma, which means I'm not so drained from a days work in the evenings that I have a bit of time for my hobbies again.

So over the past week I decided to start a new project. I'm building a subwoofer for my stereo system. Though these are a staple of the modern home audio systems, due to the nature of modern surround speakers being so small, it's not needed on my late 70's vintage JVC system with the large floor speakers with large woofers. However, since I temporarily replaced my JVC JA-S22 integrated amplifier with a Pyle surround amplifier which has an output for an active (self powered) subwoofer, I decided it would be cool to have one hidden directly under my theatre reclining chair (plenty of open space down there) and feel the bass through the chair.

Instead of just going and buying a subwoofer though, I decided to build my own as I have extra everything I need to do so except for the amp circuit board itself, which I just purchased for about $20.

I'm using the box from the old karaoke machine I acquired last year, though after removing the top and face plate I had to complete the box. I added bass reflex tubes to the top where I added an old car speaker, and kept the original speaker from the karaoke machine as well as adding another speaker that came out of a small, broken PC subwoofer I had (box too small to use it).

They will all three be hooked up in parallel, not series like a 3-way speaker as this gives the maximum power to each speaker and in fact makes them work together like one larger woofer speaker of the same surface area. I'm using the transformer from the karaoke machine to power it, adding my own on-off switch since the original is part of the karaoke face plate. The entire thing only costing me the price of the amp board!

I'm not concerned with the box's aesthetics since it will be hidden. And the amplifier for it should arrive tomorrow. It's up to 150 watts, dependent on the PSU size chosen between 12-24V. The karaoke PSU is 18V at 1.5A, which comes to 27 watts. All other speakers on my system are 40 watt each, so it will fit in fine since I never have the volume up more than a 1/4 anyway (plenty loud for my room).

20220925_184127.jpg 20220925_184247.jpg 20220925_191909.jpg 20220925_191919.jpg 61h80B8UYqL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

In the meantime, I decided it was time to start working on my JVC amplifier. Eventually I will have it and the Pyle surround amp working together, but the Pyle amp will only control the 3 surround speakers (which also means more watts to those speakers instead of being spread across all 5) and use the subwoofer output. Since my JVC doesn't have surround sound, with both working together from the same audio source I can have a much more power system than one or the other amp alone.

I also just bought a replacement equalizer for the one I lost that went with the JVC system, though not as good an equalizer as it is 7-band and works across all speakers and my original was 14-band and could adjust for left and right separately. But it's better than none, and it's a JVC component that matches the rest of my late 70's system.

It needs some restoration, but I'm going to restore all my components to like-new mint at this point anyway, as while doing research I discovered my entire system will be worth about $2000 fully restored! Apparently it's a sought-for system by many audiophiles, especially my JVC JA-SA22 amp which is highly regarded as having incredible sound due to some of the high quality components it uses. Apparently one of the two tape deck components I have (2 for dubbing) is also a highly prized cassette deck.

20220925_182127.jpg

Vyper68 and nysavant like this.
  11. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Captain

Blog Posts:
    I don't know where you get the energy from Matt, always got something on the go..

Loving the old audio gear, I was never able to own some quality stuff until the 80's, or the mat black era as I know it, all the silver stuff like yours was now mat black because that was so much more cool (yeah right). My mate Tony has a nice setup with a couple of Wharfdale E90 speakers. You can feel his music from down the road, but clear as day.

Not much of a music blaster these days (to be honest never really ever was) as I have lived next to folk, so it would be seen as a bit rude...Now if I was where you are I'd have the home cinema and the speakers going :)

These days it's just a cheap 5.1 surround system, it's got enough punch to annoy the idiots above but I rarely turn it on as we have a couple of shift workers in the block.

Happy building and have a great time restoring the system, but I bet you never sell it.. Who would after all that work :)

Vyper68 and M.D.Baker like this.
  12. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Nice bit of work Matt, good to see you getting into the hobby stuff again as the summer season draws to a close.
    I've been busy with work as well the last couple of months but the last couple of days have found some time to tinker with my Playstation 2. Now got it running games from an SD card via one of the memory card slots. Means I can do away with the network adaptor and hard drive that I used before and it's also easier to add games now by just popping the SD into my pc.

I'm thinking about removing the Gotek from my Atari ST as well and putting a floppy drive back in then trying to get some old pirate menus on 3.5" disks together to recreate the full 80s/90s atmosphere.

Vyper68 and M.D.Baker like this.
  13. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Got a Fat PS2 with a HDD, I think I'll leave it as that as I don't use it very often, and I have a set of titles on it that I feel is complete for my liking..

Personally I'd leave the Gotek in there, unless there's any compatibility issues I'd stick with digital media, storage is easier, and you don't have issues finding real floppies at a reasonable price. But hey, everyone is different..

M.D.Baker likes this.
  14. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    The PS2 is one of my favourite consoles, and the majority of games are still very cheap on it. Think I have around 100 original titles. Plenty of racing games and retro compilations :)

The idea with 'restoring' the ST is that right now I haven't used it in well over a year (the A500 Mini in comparison gets played at least once a week). I'm going to dig through all my old floppy disks and see what I have before deciding on the next step. A lot of the time I think it is the actual menu disks that bring back memories instead of playing the games themselves! Also got a 9pin to USB mouse adaptor to try at some point.

M.D.Baker likes this.
  15. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Crack Cocaine. And vitamins.:jawdrop::p

I spent the first half of the day doing yard work, and the second half cleaning up the equalizer, it looks great on the outside now, and you'll never guess what I used to replace the two missing silver tips from two of the sliders.:rolleyes:

20220926_231029.jpg 20220926_231040.jpg

I opened it up, prepared to do a deep clean to the inside and found it was pristine inside! The previous owner must have kept the top in an entertainment system or something to keep the dust out for all those years.

I also started to trouble shoot my JVC amp, and discovered it was totally disgusting inside. At some point something was spilled all over one of the PCB boards and the rest were covered in years of dust a couple millimeters thick! Probably all those years in storage. But luckily whenever and whomever spilled soda or something in there, luckily it wasn't turned on until it had all dried, since I used it for years without issue. She's all clean now and tomorrow evening I do the actual trouble shooting now that I can see the boards! :facepalm:

20220926_224750.jpg

I'm also adding some LED lighting to the amp and equalizer, to light up behind the knobs, switches and sliders. I'll eventually do the same to all the components to match. The same type LED's I used in the past with a remote and 16 colors or fade/flash through colors. I decided to do this as the original LED lights that lit up the needle meters for decibels had burned out and instead of getting new ones I hade LED strips on hand to substitute, and far too much for just the meters. So I decided on back lighting for the rest too.

20220927_035600.jpg 20220927_035633.jpg

The amp works, it's just one of the stereo channels isn't. Most likely a regulator went out. I'll have a show-and-tell when it's all done. Anyway, I also got the amp board for my DIY subwoofer, so I'll finish that project up soon, hopefully get all the components ready to go at the same time.:cool:

But I figured, even though all the other components for the stereo work, since I now know just how much they are worth in excellent cosmetic and working condition, they all get a good cleaning and refurbish. It's time to turn them into true collector's items instead of making do with a damp cloth wipe off on the outside and putting up with sticking switches and twitchy dials, and making sure they are ready for another 45 years of use.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  16. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Do you have a McBoot memory card Al ? It lets you use PAL or NTSC DVD-R discs. Makes retro gaming a bit easier. I have about 50 original games but I wanted to play some of the games released in Japan or the USA. I have created a Japanese account on my Nintendo Switch to do the same thing.
    I used to like the Japanese 2D stuff on the Saturn with the 4MB memory cartridge back in the day.

17. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    You and LED's Matt :)

Nope, what did you use for the tips?

I actually owned that EQ, I'm 99% sure it was that exact model..It didn't match the mat black gear but what the hell..It did the job..

M.D.Baker likes this.
  18. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Japan for me means shoot em ups and they made some brilliant ones. Japan also means RPG's but as I don't speak Japanese and I don't think it's fair to keep asking my daughter to translate, I don't really play them....

19. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    That is pretty cool that you owned the EQ!

I used the metal end caps off of a mini glass fuse.:loopy:

JVC invented the "EQ" back in the 60's and they had another name for it before "equalizer" became the term...

S.E.A...Sound Effects Amplifier (pre). What my (our) JVC equalizer's model designation is...

20. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure it was that one, the part number and the designs on the top just triggered my memory...

Lol re the fuse ends, very clever use..

In truth, I'd never call myself an audiophile, because I was in the electronics trade I became known by the local hi fi centres as a parts place, just the basic stuff like caps, solder, scart plugs etc, we didn't keep custom IC's (bloody things were the bane of our life. We would get people from Nigeria etc coming in with huge parts lists from TV's hi fi etc, pretty much all of which we did not supply or could not. You would then be badgered for 20 mins by the guy demanding you get them for his because he had come especially to Maplin all the way from Lagos, which of course was rubbish as he went to every shop he could find with the same spiel.

But I digress, because I got matey with the hi fi places I'd get a generous discount and genuine help with making choices ie not trying to get me to buy old stock they could not shift. Got some good deals and made some good mates..

Amazing what a little bit of back and forth dealing can get.

The only thing I didn't get that I wanted was a Technics turntable (forget the go to model number), the prices were horrendous even with something off and even though I had the money I could not justify it to myself..

M.D.Baker likes this.
  21. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I always had cheap, low end department store shite for my audio equipment back in the day. Even this JVC system from '78/79 I got used in the late '90's from a second cousin I happened to live near at the time. He had just bought himself a new '90's system. Which in truth, was a down-grade from this incredible JVC system, but he was just a consumer with money and doesn't really know shite about audio systems. So I ended up with a classic system with near-legendary status on several of the components, namely the amplifier itself.

I didn't become an audiophile until I got this system as I'd never had one as quality before, even mid-range by JVC audio line standards. But once I knew just how good my LP's, CD's, and even high-bias casette tapes sound through a decent system, I was hooked. So now it about restoring and upgrading (adding modern tech into the mix with modern abilities like surround, blue-tooth, MP3 playback, etc.) it all and recollecting my vinyl and CD collections that were mostly lost or water damaged in storage. The old amplifiers are light-years better than the junk on the market today, even in the high-end audio stores.

22. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    I have my own 5.1 cheapy system but I also got Bob's old stuff and he was always going on about the Arcam amp he had, he said he got it to replace the Quad he had (I'd heard of Quad, all good things)

Also got his multi CD player, his DAT & CD Sony and a Pioneer CD player..

He loved his audio gear..

M.D.Baker likes this.
  23. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I have a 5.1 cheapy system too, it's what I use with my vintage 8-bit computers, with Pokeymax and Yamaha chips on the Coco 2's Super Sprite FM+ upgrades. It's what I bought and used the years my JVC was in storage due to a lack of room, and pure laziness to pull it all out and whip it into shape and connect it up.

I finally started the process earlier this year and am finishing it up now. I've had it up and running, but just the amplifier with only all my movie & video game gadgets hooked into it. The receiver, tape decks and turn-table were set up, but not connected. Then I got the turn-table going first, and now the rest.

But I'm also still using the replacement Pyle Amplifier as my JVC hadn't been repaired yet from when it went down soon after I hooked it up, which is what I'm working on now. In the end I'll have both amps integrated into the system together, as I want the 5.1 surround for some stuff, and the JVC quad stereo for stuff that isn't in 5.1 like LP's and CD's, but they'll sound better on the quad stereo system they were made for too.

24. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    I really must connect the 5.1 up, I LOVE a surround film and would love a 7.1 system (but hey, I aint won the lottery) . Slowly but surely purchased all the Marvel films and want to see them with surround..

Not listened to music on big speakers in years..

Andy Barr and M.D.Baker like this.
  25. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    The big speakers are the best part. Sound quality is so much fuller and rich from them than the (average) small speaker surround systems of today.

Andy Barr likes this.