1. Not old. Vintage. :)

What's new Pussycat too?

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by M.D.Baker, May 4, 2020.

1. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    You must have responded while I was editing Andy, as I decided to add my latest purchase by editing my post about the mouse pad...

Andy Barr likes this.
  2. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    My latest isn't exactly something new, but I've finished a mod for my Dreamcast overclocking the system by replacing the 33.3Mhz crystal (200Mhz system speed) with a 40Mhz crystal (240Mhz system speed), a 20% increase. Now this clock rate mod keeps everything compatible, and while it doesn't make a game that averages 30FPS or 60FPS (the usual for DC 3D and 2D games respectively suddenly runs at a 20% higher frame rate, but it does make sure that the 30/60FPS games do keep a rock-steady frame rape with no dipping down when tons more of 3D polygons or 2D sprites are on screen than usual like did happen on some DC games that pushed the hardware. But, some of those poorly programmed games that fell short of the 30/60FPS, 3D/2D standards do get a notable FPS increase of about 20%.

I figured if I was spending time making a PS1 steering wheel DC compatible, I might as well make sure all those 3D racing games are fast and smooth with no stuttering in frame rates. I believe my PS2 already runs PS1 games faster than on a PS1 regarding frame rates, though I may look into if there are any over-clocking mods for PS2 games.

The DC mod has a toggle switch to go between 200 and 240Mhz just in case I come across games that are too fast or just have issues running at the higher speed. But so far, out of about half a dozen games tested everything works great, and with a slightly more powerful fan installed should not run any hotter shortening the life of the IC's. There were DC mods that up to 400Mhz, IIRC, but software compatibility goes down and the DC isn't a 32/64-bit generation system that struggled much of the time to do 15-30FPS where doubling system the clock rate might be needed to ensure 30-60fps games, where a higher than 20% boost might be needed. The DC is a 128-bit system that the worst programmed games, as far as frames per second go, are still above 20FPS, so I kept it as conservative as one can while still making a significant improvement.

No pics this time showing the hardware mod, as it was very simple, literally hooking up 3-4 wires between the motherboard and a crystal.

The Dynovisor HMD for my Jaguar is still not quite finished, but will be soon, I had to wait to order something I need for part of it's upgrade/mod but I'll be ordering it this week. I still need to add a 3DO and possibly OG Xbox compatible cables to my steering wheel, but I'm enjoying my DC and PS1/2 racers with it atm.

Andy Barr likes this.
  3. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Captain

Blog Posts:
    Nice Dreamcast MOD Matt, no issues with any games?

4. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Sounds absolutely brilliant that crystal upgrade mod, mate.
    Excellent. Is this a well-known adjustment or something that you have experimented with and come up trumps?
    Amazing work, fella.
    Hope you get even more enjoyment out of your Dreamcast!

5. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Ignore what I wrote if you saw it, I had not read your original post properly..

You had already answered re the heat and compatibility, doh..

6. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    There was a retro computer fair on in Glasgow today. Normally they don't get a great deal of stalls coming up from down South but today was really good with a wide selection of games and hardware. I went with the intention of looking for some Atari 2600 and 7800 carts so was suitably chuffed to find three from my wants list (Warlords, Bowling and Ceniptede (the latter for the 7800). Got those three and Pole Position for £20 so very pleased.

Also picked up a Lego Stormtrooper mini figure, two metal signs (Horace and Art of Atari), six arcade marque style stickers and finally a bento box to add to my Pacman collection :)

Prices all seemed reasonable and there was a lot of customers plus a little bit of bartering with a couple of my purchases.

Now all I need to do is waith on my Atari 2600+ arriving next week and I can play my 'new' cartridges!

PXL_20231112_184334912.jpg

Vyper68 and Andy Barr like this.
  7. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Hey, a very nice set of purchases there, Al - very well done indeed and all for a reasonable amount really which deffo caps the day with a cherry on the top, me ol muckah!
    Love the old signs - esp. Horace Goes Ski-ing - never seen that one before - get it nailed on NOW!
    Nice post, mate - glad yer keeping well and enjoying the retro scene as much as ever.
    PS. Santa tells me that Baz has just received delivery of his Retro Xmas Cards for 2023... stand by to nail up yer letterboxes and pull up the drawbridge etc. What bizarre design(s) will adorn his cards... this year??? ;-)
    Discuss.

nysavant likes this.
  8. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Nice gear there Al, enjoy..Andy, no nakedness on the card please, there was way too much wood on show last time :) I look forward to the clever madness of the card. I was never brought up as a card person, the family never sent any. I think it's a nice way to stay in touch, but way too organised for my crazy brain.

Andy Barr likes this.
  9. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Amazon delivered my Atari 2600+ console today. Not had a great deal of time to play it but tested a few cartridges and they all worked well, albeit a couple needed a clean and a little jiggling but that was the age of the carts not the console.

The feel of the console and the joystick is spot on and I even managed to get a new high score on Centipede 7800 :)
    It's nice to have a machine that takes cartridges again and I'm looking forward to seeing what else Atari bring out for it in the future. HDMI display looks very sharp, so much so that I've already moved the system from my mancave to the living room so I can play games on the "big telly" just like I used to when I was a youngster.

Will post some pictures over the weekend if anyone wants a closer look.

Andy Barr likes this.
  10. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Yes please, Al.
    I can feel your excitement from here, mate :)
    Nowt better than plugging your new pride n joy into "big telly"!!
    I've got some new games for me VIC so I'll post those too.
    You can't beat a bit of good ol hands-on real McCoy Atari/Commodore/Sinclair/Oric/Acorn RETRO GOODNESS!

nysavant likes this.
  11. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Will do Andy. And lets see those VIC games when you get a chance too :)

Andy Barr likes this.
  12. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    SANTA VIC ARRIVES EARLY AT BAZ's BIOME...

Hey, I must have been good this year, boys (or I've managed to wing it/hide me numerous goofs n screw-ups all year) - Santa Vic has brought me all these goodies in the past week or two - I'm such a lucky fecker:

First up - Richie's expanded VIC memory board:

upload_2023-11-18_11-56-17.jpeg

You may well have got a glimpse of this on a previous post but I just want to highlight again what a smashing bloke our mate Rich is (OK, I know you knew this already :) ). Not only did he put me right with the right PSU required (as did Paul with a v useful link to a good supplier as my old Vic model pre-dates the later ones which take a standard C64 DIN fitting), he also "threw in" this fab memory module which means when my mate Chris gets a fantastic VIC-20 for Xmas, he will also have all the mem combos he needs to run a stack of software he'll get with his C2N = job's a good one all round - thank you so very much once more, Richie. Class as always and his shipping packaging and packing quality... god, Rich should run a masterclass How To course - he leaves nothing to chance in terms of foam, polystyrene, double boxing, double-bubblewrapping, padding etc etc and so everything arrives as it should and if you've got an issue with a dodgy PSU (ie. my 130XE also needed Richie's help of late) - he usually makes sure he sends you a spare one of those as well etc etc. Mates like you are truly hard to find, Mr Vyper - you are the creme de la creme of the retro repair and Atari Owners scene. This arrival scores 20/10. You won't beat that!

Secondly, thirdly, fourthly/Forthly, and many more 'lys' to follow are all sub-posts and all software arrivals for the lovely ol Vic:

upload_2023-11-18_12-5-19.png
    This arrival was brilliant value, fellas. One of the old Beau Jolly compilations featuring one of my fave shoot em ups of all time, ARCADIA! There are also some other smashers on there too incl Wacky Waiters and Invaders. What's not to like with this little lot and all for approx £6-7 incl p&p.

upload_2023-11-18_12-6-40.png
    There's one naff title, IMHO, Jumpin Jack, which is a very slow and unresponsive Frogger clone but overall this purchase was a sure fire winner - I'm giving it 9/10.

Next, this crazy caboodle just oozles (is that a word?) BIG BOX retro goodness and you know how much I lurve me big boxes (bollox, Baz):

upload_2023-11-18_12-9-9.png

Just simply the biz and will pair up with the VIC to give Chris some ace "starter software" to either load or type-in (and believe me, just like us, Chris has golden memories of keying in code for hours and then being as frustrated as hell as a 14yr old shouting "IT DOESN'T FRIGGIN WORK, FATHER!" after typing RUN and the bugger crashing and losing everything... "You did SAVE it first to tape and VERIFY it didn't you son? Son? SON? Put that sonic pulse rifle down!!!"

upload_2023-11-18_12-12-8.png

This little lot came to just under a tenner and again, you can't go wrong for value for money so this needs a firm 9.5/10 in the Baz ratings. NB: Flowchart stencil alert! Do you remember these from Computer Studies classes back in the 80s???

Next up:

These came yesterday but I'd ordered em about a month ago - bit of a delay as the bloke on SellMyRetro (Japster) had experienced illness in the family so fair's fair and we need to understand that and just be thankful it aint us ill etc.
    Any road, here we go - these came from a nice guy called Den who you can tell also enjoys the buzz from replaying these old games and getting involved in trading and selling our old micro memories:

upload_2023-11-18_12-15-25.png

These came to about £12-13 but I think I've done OK as one of the titles is a ROM cart. I haven't tested these yet. I'm hoping they are decent games which again will give Chris a buzz come Christmas.

Right, so that's my little Vic stocking full and to sum-up, aint it great to explore some software (and hardware) on a system that we weren't so familiar with beforehand but once tried you realise you have more than a passing like for and for me, the Vic-20 is such a quality (keyboard oozes class), flexible (numerous add-ons) and user-friendly micro which manages to still bring pleasure to us retronauts decades after retiring from the scene. I can only dream of still being useful after I retire as I'm feckin next to useless now! PMSL ;-) Enjoy your retro weekend, fellas, and I look forward to seeing what Al's got for us and what you might have next time around...

M.D.Baker, Vyper68 and nysavant like this.
  13. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Lovely stuff Andy. Your mate is going to be a very happy boy with that bundle. I never owned a Vic20 but always had a soft spot for that and C16/Plus 4. Now I feel like booting up my TheVic20 and playing some Gridrunner :)

I'll try and get pictures taken of my bits (oo-er missus) later tonight. I picked up another few VCS carts from my pals shop and some at a couple of retro places in Glasgow. Really enjoying the cartridge hunt at the moment and think I'm only missing about 3 of the games I still want on the 2600/7800.

Biggest find though was something very nice for my 800XL collection.... more of that later though!

M.D.Baker and Andy Barr like this.
  14. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Latest thing I bought was for my Xbox ....

M.D.Baker and Andy Barr like this.
  15. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    You do like your modern consoles Richie, I'd never had put you down as a PS5 owner (but I know you are) and a good old Xbox One as well. I keep thinking what I'd get if / when the Atari 1200XL goes, I really want a PS5 but I know I'll have the same old problem with not being able to play for long before I'm almost crying with pain.

That Ratchett and Clank multiverse game looks mad...

As for that Warhammer game, is it me or does it feel clunky, maybe it's the YT video...I played the other action Warhammer game that was on the old Xbox(?) and liked it, the turn based versions just put me to sleep. Doom like versions keep me awake :)

16. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    PS Andy, that is a might fine set of gear for that Vic, and yet again Ritchie adds to the pot, good man....

Andy Barr likes this.
  17. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Boltgun was deliberately designed as a late 90's Doom clone Paul so the way the game plays and the Sprites are flat 2D in a 3D environment.
    It's smoother than the video in reality though. I sold a lot of my surplus kit to pay for a Xbox Series X and a PS5 so I am pretty lucky really. I don't sell my consoles generally, so I have a few older consoles packed away. It's such a shame you're having so much trouble with your health these days.
    Have you definitely decided to sell your 1200XL??? if you really want a PS5 maybe you would consider a trade?

Andy Barr likes this.
  18. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    I could well be up for that..Yes, the XL is going to go..

Just incase you didn't know, it's the 1200XL made fully PAL (bar the RF Modulator), it's had PBI tweaks and changing of the 74HC04 (was it the 08?) and a load of other tweaks. It also has a Ultimate 1MB fitted. All the chips etc to return it to NTSC will come with it and a full set of details as to what was modded.

Everything works 100%

I don't have a spare 9V AC xformer...

I'll see if there's some other little bits I can lump in, probably the Expert cart for the C64.

Have a thought, I'm sure we can hit middle ground..

PS, what PS5 have you got, the digital or the one with a drive, hopefully with the Blu ray as I have a load of PS4 games..

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
    Andy Barr likes this.
  19. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Any thoughts about this Richie..

20. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Well, it's been a while again since I've visited or had anything to post as I continued to be busy with my business. But the grass growing season is now over, which means work will slow to a trickle over the next 3-4 months. But it also means it's the time of year for me to get back full-force into my hobbies.

And, to start with, I finally finished the transformation of my Dynovisor HMD into a Jaguar "VR" HMD. I had the stuff to finish it for a couple of months now, but just no time until yesterday to do it. So I am finally posting pics of my modified HMD.

Changes were made to a well engineered HMD with quality Sony screens and speakers of the size and quality of over-the-ear headphone speakers, that were installed in a slick looking, but very uncomfortably designed helmet, after cost-cutting changes including much cheaper and uncomfortable head-mounting system from what the Jaguar VR would have had.

Upgrades include the addition of over-the-ear headphone speaker cushions. Enclosing the speakers with vinyl material on the back side for both aesthetics and better acoustic reverb. Added padding to the back, sides and top of the helmet head straps. Also, badly needed extra custom rubber snowmobile goggle cushioning was added around the face goggle area. Also "repainting" the HMD to match the Atari Jaguar colour scheme which I first attempted with regular spray paint, but due to the rubbery flexible nature of parts of the headset the paint peeled and crumbled during re-installation due to the flexing required to re-assemble the HMD. So I instead got red Flex Seal for the visible rubber parts, and black Flex Seal for the interior to darken the face mask area for less light refraction and a more immersive experience and easier on the eyes to see the screens clearly. I also tweaked the position of the screens, as they have adjustment screws, to allow better screen orientation and focus.

All of this done to perfectly fit my head and eye separation for extremely improved comfort and screen visibility.

Link back to original post to compare: <a href="https://atari-owner.com/club/threads/whats-new-pussycat-too.212/page-55#post-7062">What's new Pussycat too?</a>

IMG_20231123_085623987.jpg IMG_20231123_085840472.jpg IMG_20231123_085917578.jpg

Andy Barr likes this.
  21. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I’ve not been well the last few days so not really given it much thought to be honest. I’ll PM you over the weekend mate.

Andy Barr likes this.
  22. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    No prob Richie, PM when you better, hope that is soon..

Andy Barr likes this.
  23. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Get better soon, Richie - so so sorry to hear, mate.
    Am sure you n Paul will sort some trade or sale or something in the near future AND what a job Matt's made of the VR headset gear...
    Excellent mods, adaptations and improvements galore to get that system sweet and bespoke as in terms of being just the job for you, fella - incredible work going on there and that's just your 1st projects since the end of the growing season/beginning of full-on hobby winter season... what other wonders await, we ponder!
    Great work, mate - sincerely - a superb project really refined well.

M.D.Baker likes this.
  24. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    That Jaguar set-up looks amazing and it would be worth a ton on the open market these days... I am very jealous Matt :)
    I would like to get another Jag at some point but the price is getting harder to justify each year. I would love a Falcon030 as well but that ain't happening either.

How do you pronounce Jaguar over there??
    Is it Jag-Wah or the correct way Jag-U-R??

Andy Barr likes this.
  25. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Andy, I am better now, it was just a stinker of a cold that Sonia kindly gave me. I have been trying to get my 32KB MSX 1 back up to running condition again. There are a couple of keys that are temperamental and two of the cursor keys don't work. The keyboard is a sealed unit so I couldn't get to the membrane. I tried to upgrade the RAM to 64KB internally by replacing the 41116 Chips with 41464 but it didn't work I think the multiplexers need a bit of rewiring so I ordered a 64KB RAM cart from Japan. That should override the internal RAM in Slot 1 and make it a 64KB machine. I just got confirmation it was posted today so it will be interesting to see how it works. I ordered two so if anyone needs one I have a spare.
    I am hoping to get an ELKSD128 for Crimbo for me Electron so there are a few things on the horizon. My next repair job is to fit my CoCo2 with a 6309 CPU but as always if anyone has a faulty machine Dick's Retro Repairs is open.

nysavant and Andy Barr like this.