1. Not old. Vintage. :)

What's new Pussycat too?

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by M.D.Baker, May 4, 2020.

1. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Hi @nysavant No Amstrad's nowadays and the only Acorn machine I have is an Acorn Electron with a boxed Plus 1 expansion but I think I want to keep that.
    @Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine I don't have a 3DS anymore sadly, used to own one but now it's just my Wii U and Switch, but thanks for the offer.

2. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Was the Elk your first computer when you were a kid Richie?

3. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Captain

Blog Posts:
    Oh you bitch....

nysavant likes this.
  4. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    First computer was a ZX81, then a Speccy 48K when that packed in I bought a C64. My mate had a 800XL and we used to swap for a week or two at a time. He liked Paradroid and I liked Dropzone on the A8 and we both liked Gauntlet on the Atari even though it took forever to load and reload :banghead:
    I picked up an second hand 800XL a bit later, but in reply regarding Elks I saw the adverts in the computer magazines at the time and was tempted but it didn’t come out when it was supposed to and I’d gone down the C64 route by then. If you were blunt the 64 is a way better games machine. If your more interested in a very fast BASIC and programming the the Elk is very good. The Beeb wipes the floor with the Elk but cost double so as a Speccy competitor it was pretty good. The were still releasing software into the 90’s for it.
    The Atari ST was my first 16bit computer I picked up a second hand 520STFM as my brother had gotten an Amiga A500 for crimbo and I was jealous. I used to say mine was better as it ran faster but when I heard the Amiga’s sound i shut up. It’s a shame they didn’t wait for the AMY sound chip. I went onto a Amiga A1200 and the onto an Acorn A3010 after my ST, I still like RiscOS as an operating system.

Andy Barr, AlexDrito and nysavant like this.
  5. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Nothing new in the way of retro this week (unless you count a couple of vintage look metal signs for the mancave and a Now compilation of Jukebox Classics). Did have a play with the Nintendo 64 earlier. Ridge Racer is excellent on it but I'm really going to need to do a deep delve and try out some of the titles I haven't heard of before. Bitmap Books have just released a new N64 book so I'll pick that up at some point as they are always worth reading and finding a few undiscovered gems in.

Less than a week now to the release of the Atari 400 Mini - really looking forward to that one.

AlexDrito likes this.
  6. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Captain

Blog Posts:
    Good luck with the N64 delve, the machine never got to the lofty heights of the Snes release wise, but there's stuff to be had on it. Pilot wings, F-Zero X and a few very decent platformers like Banjoe and Mario. For you, there's not a lot of Burnout / RR stuff, mostly Rally type games that are so-so.

That 400 Mini press kit looked nice, shame the punters won't get the fancy box.

nysavant and AlexDrito like this.
  7. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Well my 20+ issues of ST Format that I won for 99p on EBay finally arrived today. Packaged was about as much good as a wet tissue but they seem to have survived relatively intact. Suppose I can't complain too much, worked out about 40p an issue including postage :)

Vyper68 and Andy Barr like this.
  8. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    So long as they made it through, Al.
    I guess the seller thought "I've made next to nowt on these so screw packing em up carefully/well... I can't be arsed" etc.
    I;ve had stuff sent to me after I've bagged a bargain and they've similarly arrived in shabby packaging... human nature, I guess but never mind - they're now gonna be very much appreciated by you and that's all that matters.

nysavant likes this.
  9. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    My thoughts exactly Andy, at least he did actually send them!

Some nice articles in them but I probably enjoy looking at the old adverts the most :)

Andy Barr likes this.
  10. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Yep, Al... the nostalgia of us harking back and those golden memories of the great kit and software coming out back then which made our hobby so exciting still exists within the ads and the pages of these great old mags. I've got at least one large wardrobe shelving unit which groans with the weight of my old 80s computer mags and I still lurve getting em out and having a trip down memory lane with em. Always the articles and the ads which bring a smile to my face. Cheers, mate - enjoy every magic moment with em.

11. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    The400 has arrived...

atari400minijpg.jpg

a400mini.jpg

Attached Files:

12. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Bootiful, buddy, truly bootiful.

You've got a sweet-looking flush there, Al.

nysavant likes this.
  13. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    It's a very well put together piece of plastic that's for sure @Andy Barr

Getting on better with the joystick than I expected, it has a nice feel to it and the display is very good as well. Played Basketball and Missile Command which are built in and the emulation was excellent.

The only issues I have found are that some games loaded from USB have the top or bottom of the screen cut off. You can adjust the aspect ratio but it doesn't have a wide enough margin for every game yet. A lot of titles like Pole Position, Leaderboard etc that I have played are fine though. Also it would be nice to be able to select more than 128kb of ram and VBXE options in the emulation for games that require it.

Overall though I can see it getting a fair bit of use from me, it's a neat little system and stuff like being able to easily save games or rewind them (very useful when you lose a life during a game!) are excellent quality of life improvements.

Most importantly it feels authentic when you are playing it and gives you that hit of retro that we all chase after :)

Andy Barr likes this.
  14. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Excellent, Al.
    Yer selling it to us big time, buddy!
    Enjoy and give it the max over the Easter hols, mate.

15. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    It's just nice to see our A8 range get a bit of recongition amongst all the other systems that have been revisited the last few years :)

Who would have thought that in 2024 you would be able to buy a new VCS or Atari-8bit system lol

Andy Barr likes this.
  16. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Hopefully they will bring out a A800 or 800XL Maxi if it sells well. Maybe that's why the banjaxed the 800XL clone last year.

Andy Barr and nysavant like this.
  17. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    This week in Retro I have fitted a Blitter to my Atari 1040STFM this morning and it's all working nicely, and I bought a ACSI2STM Hard Drive over the weekend which will hopefully arrive this week.
    On top of that I bought a 7" version of Transmission by Joy Division off feeBay to go with my 12" version. It's the only bass guitar track I every got down pat.

Andy Barr and nysavant like this.
  18. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Nice one Richie, always good to see the ST getting a bit of love :)

Andy Barr likes this.
  19. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    It is indeed, Al - the ST deserves a loyal and dedicated following and I believe it does have this despite us Amiga bitches always going on about how the A500 lured and tempted us away! Full credit to Richie and other folks who support and fit wonderful hardware enhancements, raising the ST's performance and profile to that which we hoped it would reach - the ST deserved to be a success.
    Also, well done Richie for acquiring that Joy Division track Transmission which I don't think I've played since leaving my 1980s batchelor flat - it's quite a "doomy" number if I recall correct, mate? Congrats in you also being able to play it, mate - quite an achievement, buddy. I can just about recall other tracks She's Lost Control and of course... Love Will Tear Us Apart - one of the greatest tracks released by any band... ever.

Vyper68 and nysavant like this.
  20. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    The A500 is indeed a more powerful machine and a 16bit gaming and video powerhouse but the ST will always have my heart along with the 800 and XL. Also the cracked compilations were much better on the ST as you used to get four or five games compared to the usual single title on the Amiga. Those Medway Boys and Pompey Pirates sure knew how to use a compression tool :)

21. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Great recall there, Al - I'm sure you're right - there were some great ST demo / menu disks (those bouncing scrolling long message things got on my tits tho!) and they did seem to pack more into them... somehow! I was always amazed by the sound sampling quality - on both machines and I've still many many happy memories of receiving sample disks in the post from mates and having so much fun playing them all night to my mates popping round as we had a few bevvies before hitting the boozers back in the late 80s/early 90s when we were just young yoofs ganning out on the pull... always ended-up ganning back home again round midnight, pished, empty-handed but at least there were the ST/AMIGA demos to enjoy...AGAIN! The gift that kept giving, eh, lads?! :) Happy daze.
    Lost Boys were one of my fave coders and creators - stuff like this, Al:

AlexDrito, Vyper68 and nysavant like this.
  22. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Brilliant stuff. I ran a public domain and shareware library for the ST and the ingenuity of some of the coders never ceased to amaze me. Now excuse me while I go listen to the B.I.G demo and read the latest issue of ST Format....

AlexDrito, Vyper68 and Andy Barr like this.
  23. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Do you have an archive of your PD/Shareware library Allen ? Which library was it ?

nysavant likes this.
  24. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    It was called PD Force (yes, original I know). Only sold locally at first by advertising in the regional newspaper. Back in those days I would deliver the disks in person sometimes and even show people how to use them! Built up a steady customer base using word of mouth and also attending any local computer fairs around Glasgow back when we had things like the Microfair. Also had a very early stall at the infamous Barras Market that totally confused people when they asked for pirated games lol.

Sadly I don't have anything left from that time like catalogues or the original disks. Wish I had kept them as I remember working on my catalogue disk for ages and making it pretty neat.

Somewhere in my archives I probably have a photo or two from those early days, will need to look them out and scan them into the PC sometime.

Andy Barr likes this.
  25. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, keep a look out and if you ever dig any classic retro photos of you "at large" on the Glasgow micro marketplace, manning your stall or copying games "live" as the cops make a bust (!!??) then you know that this is exactly the RIGHT PLACE to display such photographic evidence, Al!! :) I know exactly what you mean about spending hrs putting together disk games directories and software lists and I recall Brenski sending me a smart piece of software for the Atari 8bit classic which was piss easy to update/edit and then you went through your list with a joystick and the list flew up/down the screen and you could dump it all to printer... again, if I manage to find any old tat/evidence from this era then I too will upload it here "for old times" sake.... memories are made of these, eh, fellas?

nysavant likes this.