1. Not old. Vintage. :)

...and finally tonight

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by Andy Barr, Sep 13, 2021.

1. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    As ever, brilliant anecdotes, Paul.

You had some interesting folks through the doors of your store and I would lurve to have heard the Sue Lawley tape!

Anyway, this one's pretty topical:

DON'T PANIC, DON'T PANIC!

[​IMG]

How to deal with petrol shortages in merry old England, 2021.

nysavant likes this.
  2. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Ha ha...cracking content as always Andy..

Yes, we had loads of big names in the shop, quite surprised me then but hey, if you need a PSU you go to an electronics shop no matter who you are, and as we were an Atari centre it's hardly a stunner that we got dev's in..

The one guy I saw but didn't come in was Christopher Reeve, he was going towards Chiswick but as I had to get someone to take over I missed him. Shame, as a comic book guy I'd love to have at least chatted to him for a min.

The strangest mix that came in as a lump was Barry Morse from Space 1999, Ralph Bates from Dear John TV series wearing a tee shirts saying "I'm Ralph Bates" and Nigel Havers, must have been something at the Lyric theatre they were all in..

While it was nice to meet the rich and famous who were nice ordinary people normally, it was the all important Joe Public that paid my wages, they were the real stars here..

The 80's sure was fun....

Andy Barr likes this.
  3. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Wonderful times, Paul.

Thank god we have these to hark back to as they truly were such happy times for us lot growing up, working and playing through these golden days in home computing.

For you it must have been like "I've been given the keys to an Aladdin's Cave" with so much fantastic hardware and software coming out every month to play test and and having Joe Public (and the rich and famous) to interact with and help out with their computing needs. Plus, knowing you, I bet you had a great team of enthusiastic staff working under you also sharing in the fun and giving out great advice - every day must have been like "can life get sweeter than this?!"

I just loved going through to Hull and experiencing the thrill of WHSmiths in those days and the independent retailers plus Dixons, Boots, Rumbelows, Granada, Comet and Currys and seeing all this new hardware in the windows and lined up on the shelves, just waiting to be played on... such a buzz, mate, saving up a tenner each week and piling through at the weekend and buying a new game or two for the old Sinclair, Oric, Beeb or Atari (in which case you'd need to save up £20-30!)

Bloody great days and I just wish you'd collared Christopher Reeve - it would have been a pleasure for him to have met you, buddy, as well as vice versa.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  4. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    The computer times were indeed a fave, the management times, not so much and deffo not towards the end.

Yes it was a buzz to meet the celebs and the devs, but it was not a daily thing, 99% of the time it was good old reliable Joe Public, who I'm eternally grateful to. Before I became management it was saner, but the second they let me in the hot seat the staff got more respected, and we all mucked in. Because it was electronics and computers the staff were more nerdy, I remember walking out to the serving area and there's Gary serving Fergal Sharkey and Gary had no clue who he was, I walk over in my blazer, shook his hand and welcomed him to the shop and ended up having a long chin-wag about Northern Ireland as he was from a village just down the road from us.

Then again all the customers got a respectful service, return custom was the name of the game and my staff had it drilled in to them.

Yeah, shame about the Chris Reeve thing, mind you, he might have been a "don't you know who I am" type and told me to piss off :)

And yes, I was the same re the shops, loved walking around Dalston just window shopping as a young man, I used to wake up on a Saturday morning before I started to work, and I'd go to a place called The Waste, it was a very long market that ran along the main drag through Dalston, looking to buy some cheap TDK's and just looking at all the different gear, after that I'd pop up along the same road to the Popular Book Centre to see if they had some comics in. It was right next to Rumbelows, where I brought my first music centre.

I miss all that, the area has changed too, a mix of boarded up shops and fancy yuppy houses with every inch being built on, looks horrendous now, a million and one crap name take away's and non UK shops. Even the folk are changed, not very friendly, hardly a smile...

Andy Barr likes this.
  5. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Again, some more great anecdotes - lurve a bit of Feargal and a Good Heart not to mention Teenage Kicks and My Perfect Cousin etc. My 1st music centre - a PYE - I thought I was the bees knees and a was ready to leave home and get my 1st flat (OK, so I was 14 and champing at the bit, but there you go!)
    As you say, the areas where we used to go and hang out, enjoy Saturday shopping for our fave music, software and fashions etc... all long gone and it's either boarded up or charity / pizza shops these days.
    So sad to see the death of the high street and we've kind of gone along with it these days and transferred our shopping habits to online options instead.
    I'm a saddo, I know, but I miss the bloody old days... can you tell?

6. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Just a tad..

You and me both..

Andy Barr likes this.
  7. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Hull's been a major car park of static traffic the past 6 months or so, guys, so when I saw this, I am sure you can apply it to a town near you...

upload_2021-9-28_17-33-43.png

AlexDrito and nysavant like this.
  8. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Try this one for size...

[​IMG]

Probably an Oric (ab)user!

nysavant likes this.
  9. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    ^^ that took me a minute Andy :D

Andy Barr likes this.
  10. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    It's a lady??

Andy Barr likes this.
  11. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I've dated muppets (and Miss Piggy) before - and been confused for Kermit - so it was right up my street, fellas!

12. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Ha ha..Another story re Saville..

With news that Steve Coogan is to play Jimmy Savile in a new BBC drama, talk has predictably turned once again to who knew what at the Beeb and when.

People point to John Lydon's interview in 1978, and Jerry Sadowitz's stand-up in the 80s, but it wasn't just gobby outliers who were talking about it. Larry Grayson, the original host of the Generation Game, is reputed to have gladly told strangers all the things he'd heard concerning Savile's hospital work – even going so far as to do an impression of Savile in a morgue.

And just in case the voice he did while acting it out didn't make things entirely clear, he'd end by saying "He won't be able to fucking fix that if it ever gets out!"

Andy Barr likes this.
  13. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely, Paul, yet somehow the worm seemed to wriggle his way out and laugh these allegations off as if to say "I'm such a lad - they're just jealous of my fame and charity work and need to find a way to have a go and pull my leg with these comments" (which are so scandalous they cannot possibly be true) and so the shyster managed to wrong-foot and double bluff his way out of many of these revelations... aided and abetted - of course - by the powerful and influential whom we often term as "the establishment". He must have been protected at the very top. For sure.

14. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    The only "Jangle Jangle" he should have heard was the keys locking the cell in prison..

Andy Barr likes this.
  15. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I like this one today, fellas...

[​IMG]

Nature strikes back!

nysavant likes this.
  16. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    So bloody, true.

Thank you, Sir Hendrix...

[​IMG]

17. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    They keep coming... (tell me off if I'm boring any of you)

upload_2021-10-2_13-32-55.png

nysavant likes this.
  18. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Ta dum..Tish...

You have been at the Bob Monkhouse joke book again.. :)

Andy Barr likes this.
  19. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    So bloody true...

[​IMG]

20. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    ha ha... Can be so true but not here, Serena and I are IT gods (hell, I even have qualifications :) )

Andy Barr likes this.
  21. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    ...I'll leave you with this little classic and catch you soon, fellas:

[​IMG]

nysavant and AlexDrito like this.