1. Not old. Vintage. :)

Groaning Shelves

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by Andy Barr, Sep 7, 2021.

1. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Slight reboot of the cave today, fellas.

Basically, a multimedia screen placed higher on the shelves with some sci-fi clip in the background and 1-2 new lights / xmas bits placed on the shelves:

AlexDrito, Klyde and nysavant like this.
  2. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    It's getting there Andy :) Like the lighting and that little arcade cabinet looks like a lot of fun.
    Good idea with the video, I might try a quick tour of the Al-Cave tomorrow.

AlexDrito and Andy Barr like this.
  3. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Always appreciate the feedback, Al, cheers, mate.

I will have to scale some of the stuff back and just show maybe 2-3 systems at a time rather than trying to cram 5-6 out at once and ending up with...

Yep, Paul got it in one....

POUNDLAND!

Aye, a nice little clip of your set-up would be sound as a.... POUND!

AlexDrito likes this.
  4. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I did plan on doing a little video at the start of the new year, but instead I've spent the last couple of weeks trimming the herd! Some systems have been sold back to the original owners again and I'm now down to just the machines I want to keep.

The big suprise (even to myself) is that I have 'kind of' added a C64 to the fleet. Or a theC64 Maxi to be more precise. After playing with the Mini version for a couple of weeks I found a few games that I really enjoyed so decided to jump in with the full size one that has the working keyboard. The only other machine I intend to add to the permanent collection this year is THEA500 Mini when it comes out in March. Everything else will be emulated via the PC.

Full pictures and descriptions to follow in a new thread as soon as I get round to it :)

Andy Barr likes this.
  5. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    Looking forward to your system updates and man cave pics and descriptions already, Al.

nysavant likes this.
  6. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Cheers Andy

Been having some fun with the A8's tonight. Three of them all setup;

1. 800XL with Syscheck v2.2 and AVG cart with SIO - this is going to be my main Atari machine as the AVG will run just about anything. At the moment I have a retro looking Hyperkin gamepad attached to it, seems to be pretty good for most games so far.

2. 800 - no mods or attachments to this beast of a machine. Sole purpose is going to be playing original cartridge games. Got a lovely ZipStick Pro joystick with this.

3. 800XL with Uno Cart - one of my favourite A8 games is Arkanoid so this machine is hooked up with a pair of paddle controllers so I can fully enjoy the game. Going to add more paddle games to this over the next wee while

The idea behind the 3 machines for different purposes is so that they all get a bit of use instead of sitting gathering dust. They are all hooked up to 14" crt tv's with RetroShack scart cables so picture quality is excellent.
    Got my 600XL too but not done anything to that yet. Deciding if I should do some upgrades to it, keep it as a spare or sell it. Leaning towards having it as a spare at the minute but might upgrade the memory to 64k.

After your posts about the 7800 Andy, I've hooked up my original modded X-Box again as it has a very nice 7800 emulator on it. Although also got options to play games via the Evercade or PC emulator as well....

The only other systems I have now are a Megadrive, Playstation 2, an ST, Amiga 500 and theC64 Maxi. All are hooked up and ready to use :)

Andy Barr likes this.
  7. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Captain

Blog Posts:
    IMPRESSIVE, AL!

I'm liking the fact that you have looked at all your hardware and software options and sensibly and unbiasedly gone for THREE Atari 8bit classics there all doing "their thang".

Excellent choice sir - I like the reasons you give too which totally justify both the excellence of the hardware chosen and quality of the software running on them.

That first Atari Classic set-up, with the extra RAM etc, should handle any game or demo you throw at it and has the benefit of a cool sounding and not your run-of-the-mill controller matched to it which gives it a neat novel dimension.

The second outfit will brazenly boast the battle tanks beastly bold looks and brilliantly handle every standard games cart you throw at it and play them brilliantly via your Zipstick for instant arcade action.

Thirdly, you Arkanoid anarchist and paddle performer, you've again identified an itch to scratch and a need to fill a niche target market in terms of bat and ball/paddle games which you can have a go at playing and reviewing for us ever-hungry Atari game nerds!

A terrific trio and once more you inspire me to fire up more of the Atari contingent in my cave and get those babies to work actually doing and playing something rather than sitting in their own dust silhouettes!

Cheers, Al for the inspiration, mate (and 7800 emulator suggestions), and do let us have a few pics and maybe a vid to see your beauties in action there in the Nysavant Retro Facility.