1. Not old. Vintage. :)

Most liked posts in thread: New FPS game for Atari! Final Assualt!

1. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    It’s pretty good considering the host platform is a stock A8. Just shows how good the hardware was.

Andy Barr and M.D.Baker like this.
  2. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    The best part is it can all be improved, if you follow the programmer and a couple others through the thread, cutting through all the riff-raff posts. Due to restricting himself to 64K there were compromises made, even with the quality of the movement of the raycaster engine, and he says his next one will be at least 128K, but these days with almost everyone having 128K+, internal or external with 512K and 1MB upgrades just auto-added to most hardware these days and the cartridge formats allowing 1-4MB games to run on 64/128K machines, hopefully the next FPS from him/them will be the full monty.

Hell, after painstaking work over the years upgrading my XL's and 800 for extra memory, I've already removed upgrades and returned to stock 64K internally for my 1200XL and the 800XL, since mine both have PBI ports, and I have several PBI devices that all have 512k sram on-board giving them 576K memory instead of the 512K limit of the internal upgrades. And of course my 800 has 1MB and a PBI with Turbo Freezer on it that has 512K flash and 512K sram on it! I have to turn off the 512K sram due to the Incognito's 1MB needing that space. The only machine that will still have an internal memory upgrade is the one earmarked for @Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine , It's getting the Atarimax Rambo upgrade I removed from my 1200XL, since his won't have a PBI. It can do upto 512K, but there are issues with headroom for the dram under the keyboard, so Paul's will be 256K (plus 32-in-1 OS, stereo Pokey, PAL), which I think he'll be perfectly happy with since, IIRC, he has U1MB machine(s) now anyway.

Andy Barr and Vyper68 like this.
  3. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I only have the one 65XE currently, it has an old school Stereo POKEY and did have Jürgen’s 512KB upgrade, I have since replaced it with a U1MB as I got a SIDE3 and the two work together. I would love a 1200XL so if you sort Paul out maybe we could have a chat about it. As far as the game goes it would be nice to see how it would improve the game with the extra memory and stereo sound.