1. Not old. Vintage. :)

Most liked posts in thread: SUPPORTING THE SITE GOING FORWARD

  1. Vyper68

    Vyper68 Chief Officer

    Blog Posts:
    2
    Don’t mind being a Mod again if there’s a couple of us.
     
  2. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Captain

    Blog Posts:
    3
    Its a good idea to have a floating admin, not for me tho, I'm up to my neck in Dementia and my own nonsense..
     
    Andy Barr, Timothy Kline and nysavant like this.
  3. nysavant

    nysavant Chief Officer

    Blog Posts:
    2
    Likewise, be happy to help out alongside Richie. Us core users are pretty self moderating anyway lol.
     
    Graham, Andy Barr and Timothy Kline like this.
  4. nysavant

    nysavant Chief Officer

    Blog Posts:
    2
    Cheers Paul, I've added a poll if you can do that as well please.
     
    Graham and Andy Barr like this.
  5. by Timothy Kline
    Timothy Kline

    Timothy Kline Administrator Staff Member

    Blog Posts:
    3
    Articles:
    63
    Thank you, everyone!

    Absolutely, I have no qualms about the site/forum being managed by those who have invested the years that you have. You probably remember how things went sour on the previous Atari forum that was offered that let me meet all of you (well, except Paul, whom I first met on the big Atari forum), and then had the forum vanished on us because I-can't-recall-his-name-at-the-moment had just decided to do so, losing all of that wonderful information that had been shared during its duration.

    Even though I haven't personally participated here, it's been of the utmost importance to keep the place going, keeping the domain renewed annually, keeping the server up and going. The software platform itself could probably use some security updates, but the cost of renewing that every year wasn't in the budget for me, sorry. And moving to the newer Xenforo platform would require a substantial rebuild to try to keep our unique look, as well, so that wasn't really an option.

    All that remained was for the forum to continue to be used and enjoyed, which it has been. That's payment, in my book. :)

    In any case, I can certain give out access that would allow for moderator-level access. Registrations do require administrator-level access, so I would need to have full confidence that granting that level of access would not later come back to bite anyone in the rear quarters, because they really will have access to pretty much everything that controls the forum. I don't think a moderator-level user can approve registrations, but I can still double-check to be sure.

    Regardless, if there is anyone the forum would like to have serve in Admin role, what I would do is create a secondary Admin account for that person to log into as needed. Or, people to log into, if the responsibility is to be shared. That way the admin role is kept separate from your active account.

    As for setting the forum private: again, very doable, if that is the preference of you. I need only to be asked once it has been agreed. Whomever has admin-level clearance can always set it to public at a later time, too.

    Keep me posted. :)

    —Timothy,
    a fellow Atarian (who still has his 6 or 7 1200XLs, a bunch of fully working Atari 8-bit equipment, and probably the biggest Atari library of books and references in physical form as anyone out there, lol!)
     
    Andy Barr and nysavant like this.
  6. nysavant

    nysavant Chief Officer

    Blog Posts:
    2
    Timothy, you are a legend for keeping this forum online. We are small but mighty!

    We'll see what other replies and votes we get then take things forward. As long as we have your blessing :)
     
    Andy Barr and Timothy Kline like this.