1. Not old. Vintage. :)

What's new Pussycat too?

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by M.D.Baker, May 4, 2020.

1. M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    20210113_174425.jpg 20210113_174821.jpg My Oscilloscope arrived today. The same exact model I had 15 years ago. Though one or two of the interchangeable modules were different. This one is dual beam, with 2 differential amplifiers and one Time Base amplifier.It's in good cosmetic condition, after a good cleaning. I believe this is a Goodwill or Salvation Army charity/thrift store discard. I worked at a Goodwill store with donation drop-off center while I was attending tech school in the early 2000's and they would not sell any electronic donations, beyond TV's because the the Goodwill regional President had heard that electronics contain PCB's and she knew PCB's were toxic! LOL! And this Oscilloscope has it's power cable cut off as they had us do to all electronics before tossing them. I explained the situation to my manager and a regional guy when he dropped by once, to try and stem the tide of vintage electronics going to the landfill for no good reason, but I was a nobody, so...

There were also some loose wires hanging out the top when it arrived, so I removed the side cover to investigate and there is one board missing from it's spot on that side. It looks like someone was bypassing a bad board that was removed with something external as the loose wires were connected to a wire harness from the PSU board. I'll have to investigate. In the meantime I'll repair the power cord and power her on and see what works and what doesn't.

Here it is on my workbench, amidst a Sophia 2 and PBI cable install. My little workbench is getting crowded!

Andy Barr likes this.
  2. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    MD Baker VS Graham.......Bench warsssssssss

This time it's personal.......

:)

Nice setup there Matt, despite my background I would not have a clue with most of that kit..You have fun now...

Andy Barr likes this.
  3. M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I had another table that sat next to my DIY workbench (from scrap wood) but I had to let it go so I could fit my audio/video electronics console, with my stereo system, etc., in the room. Things will fall into place and find places once I get paneling up in my room and add in some more shelving.

Andy Barr likes this.
  4. M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I decided to go for broke with the last of my expendable income and ordered three NOS games, 2 slightly damaged sealed games. But for a small fraction of Mint NOS or even other "good condition" used versions. Continuing to build up my Strategy/RPG/Wargame collection as I can and fine stuff for reasonable prices.

s-l1600.jpg s-l16002.jpg s-l16003.jpg

Andy Barr likes this.
  5. Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:

FANtastic, Matt.

I can thoroughly recommend em - hours of superb strategy game play there with informative, historically accurate scenarios, manuals, maps and those "what if...?" variants too to try.

Brilliant.

You will not go wrong with these.

M.D.Baker likes this.
  6. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Not my sort of games but I'd love to have a library of each machines titles on display, the covers were pretty much always better looking than the games themselves but there were so many just superb boxes from the 2600 era onwards. Some of the Ollie Frey painted stuff on the C64 Thalamus range were just works of art.

All I have to do now is win the lottery twice and buy a big home for it all, I'll do that on Saturday, bit knackered at the moment..

Andy Barr and nysavant like this.
  7. M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    This is my reason for buying original games; for display. I don't even know if I'll become a fan of these type of games. I never bothered back in the day, because I didn't have the interest or attention span for such titles. My interest has changed and we shall see if my attention span has too...I think it has...but I haven't sat down and really got started on any of them yet (out of the couple I already own of this type).

Andy Barr likes this.
  8. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Ha ha...You and I are very similar in many ways...The attention span in my case has changed as well and like you, BITD I never collected real games. Saying that I don't collect them now but that is purely based on situation and money.

Andy Barr and M.D.Baker like this.