1. Not old. Vintage. :)

What's new Pussycat too?

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by M.D.Baker, May 4, 2020.

1. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    It certainly looks like it would work to me too, though you are much more knowledgeable than I with my measly associates degree and lack of experience in really ever designing my own stuff from the ground up. But I see it has the integrated SD slot, so I guess you could avoid the CP210. But would the CP210x driver still be used or would it require another driver?

Graham likes this.
  2. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    The ones I've seen so far all use the cp2102 chips so the same driver required, however it's for programming the device and most software will work as long as it see's com port in which case any old device will work as long as a device driver matches on the PC you use.
    Agh trying to do this on my phone and chat window keeps opening and blocking
    What I can see. I'll add more when home.

M.D.Baker and Vyper68 like this.
  3. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I'm home now @M.D.Baker .. Matt I'll add that I don't hold a degree of any sort, so don't knock your education..
    My eldest Daughter has a B.Sc and in her 2nd year of an M.Sc. so the genes passed something on :D
    Your mention of the device driver has lead me to possiably rethink the CP2102, I mention this as you can easily purchase just the USB to TTL UART boards. I wonder If I just designed something with the ESP32, SD card, lights and buttons and buffers but left the USB port to be plugged in when needed when needed.
    Hmm. As I've not read through all the documentation you have so kindly linked, apart from programming new software into it, is the USB used for anything else, maybe it see's the mSD card as a plug in memory.
    I could use something like this thats ready made :-
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-T...081201&hash=item3d1b1fcca5:g:lhMAAOSwokVdMdA3

Or better still this :- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Pin-CP...452357?hash=item48ed1884c5:g:RSsAAOSwUvFfW5zS

@Vyper68 Richie any thoughts at all, this would get round trying to solder the CP2102 directly?

Vyper68 likes this.
  4. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    @Graham I would need to read up a bit more on the hardware side but I don’t think you need to stick with a CP2102. I think as long as the firmware update software can detect a COM port you could use a different USB to Serial device. The software stipulated the CP2102 drivers because that’s what is on the PCB.
    I do have an M4 for my 6128 which is a groovy little device, I just need a 512kb RAM upgrade to run SymbOS and use the telnet software.

Graham and M.D.Baker like this.
  5. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    As far as I understand it, the USB is only for flashing new firmware and for 400/800/1200XL machines that boot to quickly for Fujinet to come online, so the USB is used to power the Fujinet and get it ready before turning on the Atari. Plus, you can power-cycle the Atari if need be, without effecting the Fujinet and what has been readied for your current session. Of course it also helps with machines like mine that are already drawing a lot of amperage, as to not put strain on the Atari PSU (especially if you have the original 800/1200XL PSU's raited for only 2 amps). I use the 31VA "universal" PSU that comes with the 1050 on both my 800 and 1200XL, but I'm still using the USB power to the Fujinet just to make sure, especially since neither machine has all their upgrades yet that will be consuming more amperage.

As to my degree vs. you not having one, degrees are just pieces of paper showing that accredited institutions verify your knowledge. Obviously you have learned much more on your own than I did in my tech school stint. I am starting to, and planning in the future (robot project for example) to educate myself further and relearn some stuff that I've forgotten due to lack of using the knowledge. I can safely say that I have learned far more and more important things in this life on my own, than I ever got out of any school. I credit my higher education in traditional liberal arts college of really only teaching me to teach myself and not accept the status-quo.

School is for the mediocre to be pigeon-holed into society, which is why all the smartest and richest in the world, like Bill Gates, and Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerburg and of course Nolan Bushnell, among many, where all drop-outs because those institutions held nothing they couldn't learn for themselves and were just holding back their true genius. That is also why I never went beyond Bachelor's and associate degrees myself. I got those only to get a grasp on the basics of art, English and electronics and further my education myself. Also because I thought the degrees would help me get good jobs, but in the end I just started my own business anyway, as I quickly discovered that my "superiors" at those jobs were in fact not intellectually superior to me, and were in fact the pigeon-holed mediocre's stamped out with educational cookie-cutters and I had to go off on my own. Something I could have done just as well with just my high school diploma.

Of course my problem was that I'm a slacker who never had any ambition or desires beyond making a living for a simple life and enjoying my Atari's.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Andy Barr, Graham and Vyper68 like this.
  6. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I'll be sending one of these 1MB boards, the PLCC socket and the programmed chip.
    https://github.com/revaldinho/cpc_ram_expansion/tree/master/cpc_ram_expansion
    Number 4 in the list.
    Plus a six way ROM board although with the M4 your unlikely to need it.
    plus an MX4 backplane board, Unfortunatly I've used ones that don't pass on the original edge connector .
    but there are simple MX4 to edge connector converters if your M4 has this kind of connector.

Vyper68, Andy Barr and M.D.Baker like this.
  7. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for that Matt, so there is a need for the USB port due to external power being required, I think I can do that with any USB to UART chip , maybe 'Ones' I can still see to solder :)

Hmm I dropped out of what would be high school whilst taking what are called A Levels. Really sad as the school I attended used to be a grammar school and had attracted some very good teachers, two whom were teaching me both left mid A Level's strangly both had the same surname although not connected at all. DR Wright Chemistry & Dr Wright Physics . On top of that I was taking both pure & applied Math, and our teacher was going through a terriable divorce and hit the bottle, I just couldn't get on with there replacements. Never mind I suspect it's held me back in the begining but I can't complain.
    I'm going off to hunt for some more information on using Fuji-Net, for the links as I've not gone through them all as yet :)

Andy Barr and M.D.Baker like this.
  8. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I was a high-school drop out too, but when I decided I wanted to go to college I finished my high-school degree at the same tech school I went back to for electronics after traditional college. I actually scored very high on my college entrance exam after 4 years out of high-school and I went in cold-turkey with no studying and took the exam! I think I was high on marijuana at the time too.:loopy:

Andy Barr and Graham like this.
  9. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Hehe
    I like that. I had an odd thing a fair number of years ago, I attended colledge to pass my Radio Amateur licence.
    I went only 2-3 times before I gave up as the guys was teaching the others incorrectly.. I still got to take the exam and gained a distinction.

I've just seen how many post's I've missed out on, Wish it would send me updates but what ever settings I use I rarely get notifications...
    Have yo powered up your 500 series yet. It's worth doing a few basic check's especially the high voltage cap's but any electroletic will be well past its best by now. They sound like a gunshot when they fail on occation you have been warned !

10. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    @Graham I guess I'm lost a bit myself here, as I don't know what 500 series you speak of.

Oh, I just realized, you mean my Oscilloscope! No, I haven't yet, I did open her up when I noticed there were a few wires hanging out that were apparently meant to go to something else to make up for a missing board in it that must have died at some point, but I've no idea what is now missing and need to do more research on it. But I intend to look over everything thoroughly before I do power it up.

Also, the power cord had been cut, and as I mentioned I think it was salvaged from a Good Will charity store dumpster as I worked at one for a while (while attending school for electronics actually) and they didn't keep and sell electronics in my region because the idiot woman regional manager heard that electronics contained "PCB's" and so were dangerous (wrong kind of "PCB's of course, which is why I refer to her as an idiot) and they made us cut cords and throw them out. As if that would have been better, going to landfills IF the type of "PCB's" (polychlorinated biphenyls), the idiot woman thought were in them actually were! I tried to have it stopped but I was a lowly part-time worker so no one listened, and I actually salvaged a few computers including two TI=99/4A's from the dumpster while I worked there; something I would have been fired for doing if caught. Apparently the idiotic idea has spread since that time. It's really amazing the morons that get put in charge of things in this world; The U.S. elected officials being a prime example of pure idiocy.

Andy Barr likes this.
  11. by Vulcanman
    Vulcanman

Vulcanman Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Hi all,

regards the Page 6 issue disks, I now have these. So if anyone wants them, let me know.

Regards

Andy

Andy Barr, M.D.Baker and Graham like this.
  12. by AlexDrito
    AlexDrito

AlexDrito Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    I was reading about some misadventures with wives and relatives in this thread and I hope everyone gets well soon... But it seems like it's my turn now. So bad news for me either. My father was run over while cycling near Rome and is now at the hospital, transported by helicopter. Luckily it seems to be just a couple of fractures and a haematoma, but there's very little news from the hospital and no one can get in personally. He is awake and conscious but has to undergo surgery for his left leg (tibia and fibula) and a plaster cast for his right elbow. He's over 80 years old so I'm a little worried about possible consequences. In the next few days I may not be reachable while waiting for news and perhaps if it is allowed by Covid-19 restrictions, I will be in Rome for the next few days.
    See you soon...

13. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:

Great find, Andy.

I have about 20 on original floppies but never got my hands on the digital full back catalogue.

14. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:

That's awful, Daz.

So, so sorry - is there anyone amongst us who hasn't had a crap 2020-21?

Sometimes it feels like one awful thing after another. I've known of two other fellas living within 2mins of us here who were hit whilst out on their bikes. One smashed his face (aged 70) and the other his collar bone (guy in his 40s so he's got age on his side in terms of recovery) when vehicles have driven too close to them and then they've hit a sudden / hidden pothole and.... yeah, come off and had a bad impact with the ruddy road tarmac/concrete.

Your poor, poor dad. The same leg as Bev and you do worry at that age, Daz, and also what else he might get in hospitals right now and are they giving the same priority to such patients as opposed to those being treated for the virus...? You just wonder and so it's natural to be worried.

I truly and sincerely hope you get some better news soon, mate.
    You take good care of you, your family and see what you can do to help your dear dad.
    Tough times indeed all round.

Graham likes this.
  15. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear Daz, best wishes for a speedy recovery...

He's in the right place although as hospitals are full of COVID people its a worry but those places get sanitised 24hrs a day..

Andy Barr likes this.
  16. by Vyper68
    Vyper68

Vyper68 Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear about your Father mate, Paul is right about hospitals though. Everything is segregated and sanitised. We ( as in different countries) are all getting better at this as we learn to cope with it, so the risk is greatly reduced. So he is in the best place for him right now.

I have to say Kudos for him getting on a bicycle and getting into Rome’s traffic. I have seen it on TV and been in it when we drove through Naples on the way to Sorrento, it’s mental.

17. by AlexDrito
    AlexDrito

AlexDrito Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Thank you everyone. I really appreciate your words.

And yes, it's mental the traffic in Rome (and in Italy generally speaking) but also "mental" is my father's attitude. At his age, he's still always around, even in these difficult Covid times, risking for himself and his wife, my mother. He's always been working en plein air, and since he's got his retirement, he always found a way to get out of home. Cycling is one of his latest activity. I told him so many times to avoid keeping going out in the provincial streets, they have holes and there's a total disrespect for bikers when in the traffic. But still... Now I can't even go to Rome straight because of the Covid restrictions (a negative swab test is needed at least) to help. Bad situation, it definitely could be avoided.

Graham and Andy Barr like this.
  18. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Its a tough one as you have to admire his drive and spirit but there's also a small amount of being pig headed that gets in to some older folk, they won't be told no even if its for their own good.

Never been to Italy but when I was in Paris the traffic was just utter madness, just a free for all, there's no way I'd ride a bike there..

19. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:

Well after a little over a month, the last 2-3 weeks of which I just let it sit and collect dust, as I mentioned in another thread also, I finally started, and now completed my first print. It took me a week initially, after several unsuccessful attempts to get the bed level, where the "print head" would scrape some place on the print bed mat.

I also had to raise a mount that held the Z-axis zero point contact switch as with it set in the position per factory instructions, it was lowering the "print head" below the bed at the home position. Possible because the "print heads" home position is off the bed, but it's suppose to stop right at the level one millimeter above where you just leveled the bed the "print head" (sorry it's late and I just can't recall atm what this part is actually called) and so the few time I attempted to print for about one second, it would scrape along the bed mat to the center position to start printing, but it would just moved around mostly scraping the bed mat which didn't even allow the plastic to come out.

I found a video showing how to adjust it if you are adding in a glass bed that are usually much thicker than stock print mats. But in my case I guess the print mat I got was slightly thicker for where the switch was set. I guess they weren't including the thickness of the mat they included when they wrote the instruction of how high to place the switch mount.

After a lot of video research on YouTube, I discovered my another issue causing me to be unable to get the bed level; I was successfully leveling the bed, but the problem was the Y-axis arm, something that was one of the parts that was pre-assembled in the partially assembled printer kit. As per a common issue with Ender 3 printers from the factory, this arm was not properly adjusted and it was not level in it's tracks.

So after getting it properly leveled with my trusty ruler and caliper and small bubble level I stopped working on it for the day, and two weeks later, today, I adjusted the print bed one more time and ran the test print file. I think it turned out damn good for my first-ever print attempt Everything seems to now be working fine, and I can move on to printing stuff to make it even better and beyond.

20210221_005047.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Andy Barr and AlexDrito like this.
  20. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    And while the printer was busy printing, I kept myself busy by finally digging out and dusting off the old SDrive Max I built a couple years ago but couldn't program it. I'll be working on getting it working, or another Adruino and screen I bought. But this evening I continued working on the case, adding a nice spiral retaining cable to the stylus and holder so the stylus won't get lost. I still am going to add some brown XL "accents" with paint to the case and add a device name to the faux brushed metal trim. 20210221_013536.jpg

Andy Barr, nysavant and AlexDrito like this.
  21. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Today my 3 SRAM chargers for Indus GT and CA-2001 finally arrived. Sent out to me by tf_hh in early December. The only difference betweed GT and 2001 versions is the orientation of the pin-header socket. Also tha latest version 1.2 OS roms as he said he could include them and I've no idea what version I have and it saves me the time of burning my own, though I could. I think he only charged me the cost of the eproms.

So once installed, all three of those drives will have full CP/M capability and SIO speed with Super Synchromesh up to divisor 6 (68K; compared to 57K Happy Ultra Speed on my two 1050's (and eventually my 810). Even though Fujinet is able to go up to divisor 0 (126K), I have also been using divisor 6 on it as that seems the fastest stable speed to guarantee most things load and run properly. It's fast enough for me. I have MyIDE II and Incognito Side, The!Cart and battery-backed ramdisk on Turbo Freezer if I need faster loading for stuff.

20210222_183339.jpg

Andy Barr likes this.
  22. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Incredible, Matt.

Some real gems you've had sent through there.

Talk about supercharging those floppy drives with these enhanced EPROMS.

Cool, fella.

23. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Nice one Matt, you really are in the thick of it Atari wise, really nice to see...

You keep on enjoying yourself, it's good that people still can get on with life despite this awful virus..

It may take a while to arrive but it gets there :)

24. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    I received a belated Christmas present this week, a FujiNet :)
    Only had time for a quick play so far, but what an awesome little device. Apart from using it to play games on my 130XE I plan on using the PDF print feature to do some old school certificates from the like of Printmaster (or Printshop, can't remember the name).

It'll keep me going while I save up the pennies to get an AVG Cart from RetroLemon. Once that's done my 8bit Atari collection will be complete. I say that now, until something else catches my eye!

M.D.Baker likes this.
  25. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Done my first printout today with FujiNet. It even gives the PDF an authentic dot matrix look :)

Really impressed with it so far and straight forward to use as well. Just need to look for more servers to add to it. Tend not to use the 130XE much but I can see it getting a fair bit more action with this plugged in now. I'd love to see something similar for the Amiga and ST as well. Who would have guessed that after 40 years our little 8-bit computers would still be going strong?

M.D.Baker likes this.