1. Not old. Vintage. :)

What's new Pussycat too?

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by M.D.Baker, May 4, 2020.

1. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Here, here to all that, Matt.

As you say, you can easily end up with too much and it's just great to enjoy a newbie or two but we must be grateful for the great machines we already own and cherish.

Any road, you mention building, house stuff / home improvements / real estate and here's just a couple of pics of recent developments here that we're chuffed to bits with:

BEFORE out the front:

upload_2021-4-24_21-8-36.png

NOW:

upload_2021-4-24_21-9-31.png

BEFORE (hallway - landing and area under the stairs also got plastered):

upload_2021-4-24_21-11-0.png

AFTER (still needs painting - waiting for the ruddy plaster to completely dry the carpet the lot):

upload_2021-4-24_21-13-31.png

BEFORE...
    upload_2021-4-24_21-17-2.png

FRIDAY...

upload_2021-4-24_21-16-30.png

TODAY...

upload_2021-4-24_21-17-49.png

Chris is a helluva good mate, one man team and he also fitted our kitchen. Here he is assembling the frame for the decking.

Things are definitely improving and we can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope you guys are also beginning to see the difference thanks to any of your home DIY and improvements you've been tackling of late.

M.D.Baker, Graham and Vyper68 like this.
  2. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Hi Richie
    I hope this finds Sonia & Yourself in good health
    I'm glad you got it all working o.k. as you know I'm not 100% with using CPLD's and prefer 74 series logic, however I'm slowly becoing a convert as the amount of space that can be saved over individual logic chips is a saving when trying to design something internally, and I'm inproving with using Win Cpul ;)
    I'll add that all the design was by someone else nothing; to do with me... However having spent £45 on a programmer and purchased a few spare CPLD's I've been playing with them .. also managed to re program two original U1MB card's as they use a bigger version of the same series of CPLD at 3.3V the 95144XL.. shame the pinout on the programming header isn't standard ... as I found out DOH!!
    Good luck with your forray into buying from Japan, I hope it works out well as I may look for a Phillips NMS 8250/8280 if it works out

Vyper68 and Andy Barr like this.
  3. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Wow certainly a big difference Andy; you and Bev must be welll chuffed.. (pleased Matt :) )
    I know you have been going through it, as it's taken so long, but you have a nice space to enjoy and relax in. (well bar runnung up and down the stairs) The Kitchen inside you've shown looks loverly and great lighting as well. now the outside joins in.. all you need now is a nice homely 'shed' with power and heating down the bottom of the garden .. housing and Oric or two !!

Oh. And Pam's decided I need to update the bathroom ....

Vyper68 and Andy Barr like this.
  4. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Certainly seems to be starting to come together Andy. That man cave will soon be taking shape!
    I'll PM you my mobile number for when I head down t' Yorkshire way at the start of May. As luck would have it Bridlington CEX have a PS2 game I've been after for a while so it's a win win for me lol

On the what's new front, I just bit the bullet on a Gotek modded CPC 6128 via EBay. Now I just have to sell my VCS, Pacman mini coinop and a kidney or two to pay for it :) Pictures to follow when it arrives. That will make my computer collection complete I think - 800, 800XL, 130XE, CPC 6128, Amiga 500, 1040STFM. Less than half the machines I used to possess but much more manageable and should all get a play.

LIke Graham and others have said, it's funny how certain computers tickle you more than others. I love the BBC for its build quality and bright games. The Dragon because it was the first computer I ever tried (in a branch of Boots). And of course, the Oric Atmos as my cousin had one and it looked fantastic (like it still does).

Never been much of a fan of the Speccy or C64 for some reason but always loved the Amstrad as my best pal got one the same Christmas I received an 800XL so plenty of fond memories there.

Consoles and handhedls though, now that's something else altogether! Might need to take some pictures of them for the forum.

Have a good weekend everyone, it's lovely and sunny up here so must be our one weekend of summer :)

Graham and Andy Barr like this.
  5. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a paperback copy of Once Upon Atari to read on holiday next week. It's been on my wanted list for a while so really looking forward to reading it.

On the non computer, but still retro, front I also landed a nice bundle of vintage Subbuteo brochures from a little vintage shop. I haven't been this excited about catalogues since I picked up my Silica Shop ones from EBay. Oh and the 1983 Kays Catalogue but that may have been for other reasons... :D

g B08QG9XSWZ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

Klyde, M.D.Baker and Andy Barr like this.
  6. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    LOL!
    Nice one, Al.
    Sounds like your lively literature collection from days of yore is really... coming together!
    Enjoy, mate.
    Next week, starting from Monday, is going to be mad for me as there's barely a day that will be "normal".
    Mam's 2nd Covid jab so that's me to and from Brid, then hopefully pop and meet you Tues/Wednesday tea in Brid after work; Thurs I've to leave here at stupid o'clock to set up the polling station out at the coast for the local election, a by-election and Police & Crime Commissioner election / man it all day til 10pm then Fri back to work (knackered), Sat'day back to Brid to help with the poll count... anyone got any of those Red Bull drinks on offer or maybe Pro Plus??

M.D.Baker, Vyper68 and nysavant like this.
  7. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Sounds busy Andy lol

Tuesday I can do Brid if you can. Just give me an idea of time. Plan on a nice walk along from Sewerby in the afternoon and some retro retail therapy...

Andy Barr likes this.
  8. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Hi, Al.

Naturally, I have not had a week like the one coming up since... before the 1st lockdown 14 months ago so I am gonna be knackered, bud.

I do aim to meet you though and looking at our PMs I think I suggested Tuesday 4th May as being the fave as I'll need to have an early night on the 5th to be up at crack of dawn on the 6th.

Yep, that will work out best so long as it's good for you, Al.

Btw, watch out for our parking meter at Sewerby as it is ALWAYS on the blink and will turn your pockets out if you don't feed it Oric tapes etc...(!?).

Vyper68 and nysavant like this.
  9. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Good to see the house coming along Andy, careful getting Chris on camera and then the internet, could prove awkward when he goes to sign on :)

Ah the bad old days of unemployment and going to the job centre..Not fun, glad I didn't have to do it much..

Not been on much because I managed to crack a rib, how I did it is daft, all I'll say is it involved my chair and a Dell keyboard that I was taking apart..

Chest hurts like hell when I breath or move, what a putz I am..

Before I did that I managed to spruce up the man cave (a bit) and it shows even dirty old pirates buy games :)

Got visited by the Police yesterday, totally unexpected, two coppers at my door. Thankfully not to nick me for anything (I barely leave the house let alone get up to criminality), explained they were here to check up on me and see how things are going with the neighbour. Because I have mental health issues they are required to come and see me, which is nice. I explained that the neighbour was as mad and bad as ever and that I believe she was warned by the council (again). The lady Police officer says that she's out with a person who is in talks with the council re issues like this and she will have a chat with her. At that point the bitch comes down and eyes up the Police and gets her daughter who has been dropped off. They then go up and our chat continues about how bad it is and then BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM...bang bang BOOM BOOM BOOM of the kids stamping with no telling them off. The lady PC was shocked, the noise was so loud and I said its twice as bad when you are in the flat and again there's more booms. THe Lady PC shook her head and said she will make sure this is brought up with the other lady and she would witness the noise for her as appalling.I made sure to point out that there was no telling off and even was a laugh during it from her.

So I live in hope something more will be done now..What a loon that woman is..But perfect timing for me...

Hasn't stopped the child banging away though, true idiot....

Hoping everyone else is chipper..

Righty, got to motivate myself to go shopping, got to get water which is going to be a genuine pain for me but we need it and as Cindy is still not well I've got to do as much to help her as possible.

Here's the pic of the retro station (well one part of it)

[​IMG]

Andy Barr and M.D.Baker like this.
  10. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Good lord my phone is awful at taking pictures, tried everything to get it focused, never is...

11. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Nice retro station Paul! I wish you well with the neighbor issue finally getting solved

As you all know, I'm busy with my business and the spring boom, which also includes maintaining the equipment. Well after the first two weeks of mowing, and having two belts and a spindle go out on my Cub Cadet riding mower, I decided it was time to get my back-up 2006 Craftsman LT1000 mower repaired. But since my equipment represents my professional image, I decided I needed to do more than just repairs, and in fact, a full restoration was in order. Unfortunately it didn't occur to me to take "before" photos at the time, but I included a photo of another junk Yard Machine mower I plan to restore as a close approximation of the condition the Craftsman mower was in, after sitting in the yard exposed to weather for the last 5 years, and before I started the restoration. Next to it is what the Craftsman looked like new in 2006.

20210502_111959.jpg Craftsman LT1000 (27639).jpg
    20210502_111845.jpg 20210502_111854.jpg 20210502_111905.jpg 20210502_111937.jpg 20210502_112246.jpg 20210502_112252.jpg 20210502_112258.jpg

The entire project cost me $180 (the 2021 version of this model costs ~$2600-$3000) and a lot of time. The seat was torn just as badly as the one in the picture of the Yard Machine, but I found replacement seats cost $150 and I refused to pay that much. So, instead I got the idea of Gorilla taping all the cracks in the vynil seat and then applying several coats of Flex-Seal in a can, with a brush. It worked like a charm (I did the same to my Cub Cadet seat). The only part of the body that isn't a new paint job is the main hood that is the darker grey color. I used Rust-oleum's Recolor Wipe-new to restore the paint and decals.

Andy Barr likes this.
  12. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Nice gear there Matt and yes, image is everything so well done for getting it all looking good. I hope the boom keeps booming...

Andy Barr likes this.
  13. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Brilliant results there, Matt - glad to see that you are another guy determined NOT to get ripped off by the present craze of companies charging the rest of us over the odds prices because they think we are desperate to jolly up our homes and replace and repair our gear as travel and holidays continue to be very limited so they feel it is OK to cash in on our desire to improve our lot after the recent shite we've all been subjected to. It's not on charging these exorbitant sums so good on yer, pal, for doing a great job and saving some money.

Paul, so sorry you've had to endure more pain with the cracked rib and that daft noisy cow from upstairs. Let's hope that this time she has played right into your hands/the eyes and ears of the law. The woman and her hell brood should be removed ASAP and dropped (from a great height) on to a very remote island in the middle of the South China Sea.
    Get well soon, buddy and great to see your games set-up there/console collection all revamped and pride of place etc. Looks like you've got some tasty faves on offer in that tower of entertainment.

Graham, thank you so much for your thumbs up and greets of late. We have just finished the decking, steps and lights tonight and Bev is over the moon with the new living space outdoors.... shame it's gonna persist it down all afternoon tomorrow but never mind. We;re busy with my mam anyhow (hope yours is OK) and will be able to enjoy our new "outdoor living space" to the max soon/rest of the summer. Just hope I can get the grass to come back as it's now had a year of bricks, cement mixers, tile cutters, wood and machinery crushing it and leaving it looking like a... builders yard so here goes the great restoration programme as well as sorting out my retro cave and getting that looking like something semi decent.

Al, hope to see you Tuesday tea, mate.
    Got your numero so we'll fine tune the meet-up (me mam lives near Sewerby so we might get a cuppa tea there if we find we're both broke!)
    What do you reckon to fish n chips, as well as computer chips and a Guinness?
    I'll get me coat.
    Have a good rest of bank holiday weekend, folks.

nysavant likes this.
  14. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Did my shop, 4 bags, 2 full of water bottles, discovered I could feel more pain than I first thought. Took forever with a stupid traffic light entry system that everyone ignored (bar me). Thankfully the chest is a little easier today (or maybe I've OD'ed on the tramadol).

So glad to hear everyone is having a good time and things are coming together well, it would be a shame to let this covid cast a 2 year negative on all of us, although I do worry about testing 3,000 person raves in Liverpool before lockdown is finished and even more worried that although they were tested as negative for the rave that the 'after' test isn't mandatory so the results will be a hodge podge...Very unscientific..

Good night last night, no upstairs and the end of series Line of duty (stunning TV) meant the Irvine house was all smiles....Hell, I think I even saw Felix with a grin :)

And as Ted Hastings said (almost) look after Joseph, mary and the wee donkey...

Andy Barr likes this.
  15. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I'm gonna get a Ted t-shirt done, Paul...
    MOTHER OF GOD and...
    THE WEE DONKEY
    (No comment!)

16. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    My daughter got me this....
    IMG_20210425_175516.jpg

M.D.Baker and Andy Barr like this.
  17. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
  18. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    PMSL!

I want one.

19. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    I love the series and for various reasons know almost all the abbreviations but I love when they get used...

Andy Barr likes this.
  20. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    By the way Paul, what is the machine under your Playstation (1)? And is that a PS2 under the Gamecube? I have a PS2 slim model, and I didn't recall full size PS2's being so shallow in depth, but the fins look like a PS2...

21. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Hi Matt, the machine under the PS1 is a PS4 and yes its a PS2 but side on :)

Andy Barr likes this.
  22. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Huh, I thought I'd seen a PS4 before, but I guess not.

I'll have a new set up for my consoles soon, having moved them to a more convenient location to connect to the projector. But currently they, and the projector are only temporarily set up in a hap-hazard fashion until I get the projector mounted from the ceiling and shelves for the consoles installed. This opened up a lot more room for my 8-bit stuff over at my 'XL command center' though. Even room to move my 3D printer over there and give me badly needed workbench space back, and I still have more space on the upper shelves. Everything is currently in disarray though, atm, as I had to stop dead in the middle with too much stuff to do surrounding my business. But, hopefully I'll get time to finish sorting it all soon.

Andy Barr likes this.
  23. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    The newer consoles through that projector should look stunning but I'd not use if for 8 bit stuff (personally), I find overly pixelated screens to be a tad wrong looking. As I'd seen the games on a 14" Sony you could not really make out the individual pixels (well just barely), when I see them on a big screen it sort of ruins the magic for me. Something like a PS4 or 5 would look amazing...

Andy Barr and nysavant like this.
  24. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    I'm with you there Paul. Playing 8/16bit machines with a 14" crt gives me a warm retro glow. Much like the display itself :)

Andy Barr likes this.
  25. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Here, here. The old uns are the best for the old kit, fellas.
    Reet, bed time...I'm up at 5 for my 1st polling station duties ever.
    Wish me (and the Monster Raving Retro party) well!

nysavant likes this.