1. Not old. Vintage. :)

What's new Pussycat too?

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by M.D.Baker, May 4, 2020.

1. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Go for it, Matt.

I'm very much looking forward to your return to your vintage kit, after all the furniture rejigging, but also how the reassembly and upgrades go with your 7800 and 800.

Should be great to see how these beauties perform real soon.

GAME ON!

M.D.Baker likes this.
  2. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Well, my next non-Atari micro is set in stone as long as it is successfully shipped to me. Due to another unexpected deal, instead of a C64, ADAM or BBC micro, my next 8-bit computer, with a 6809 at it's heart, will be the TRS-80 Coco model 2.

I'd rather have a Coco 3, but they are selling for similar or higher prices to the 1200XL, one on eBay now is listed for $500. But, The Coco 2 is more the contemporary of the Atari and C64, while the Coco 3 was more like an Apple IIGS or an Atari with the VBXE and Rapidus installed. But there are apparently lots of cool upgrades for me to do with it.

I had a few C64's, Coco 2's and ADAM buy-it-now* listings being watched for the last few weeks and I unexpectedly received an offer from this person selling a Coco 2 as-is (powers on), but in great physical shape, which is what I look for, since I know I can fix the electronics inside if need be.

listed for about $85, the offer made was for $50, a price I haven't come close too, except when excessive shipping costs are added on, so it not the real price you are paying anyway. Even with other as-is/parts micros. So I decided to except the deal and start my TRS-80 CC2 system collection with just the computer and PSU (internal) only...and another project added to my list! I figured it must be destiny with my recent acquisition of a mouse and joysticks for it.

Though this means adapting the mouse to the Atari will have to wait until I pick up another mouse, preferably the model 2 version which is cream colored to match the Coco 2, the one I have will work fine, but is the black model 1 version. Then I'll adapt the CC1 mouse for use with 8-bit Atari art programs compatible with touch-tablets. But it was just for the heck of it as a fun project as I'm perfectly satisfied with my touch-tablets and ST mouse with compatible programs (very few, which is why I had the idea to adapt the analog TRS-80 mouse for touch-tablets).

In the mean time, I've got two TRS-80 analog joysticks, and only need one, so I can adapt one of them for use with Atari touch-tablet programs and see how well it works (early CAD computers used analog joysticks before the mouse and touch tablets were invented, so I'm sure it will work much better than using a standard digital CX40 like too many A8 art programs are restricted too), and when it comes time for adapting the mouse, it will be that much quicker and easier with the joystick experience.

I'm not giving up on a C64, but I'm waiting for lightning to strike with a deal there with vintage micro prices skyrocketing. But the Coco 2 was second on my list of possible 8-bit micro I might own. It will be fun seeing how wide the system becomes and how I'll figure out where to put it as the system grows, because most peripherals and devices besides tape & disk drive and printer, chain together out the side cartridge/expansion port, just like the TI-99/4A systems.

MyCoco2.jpg

More pictures and the description here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184740223761

*I haven't bought something via auction for years because of too many snipers and those with winning bid addiction driving prices more than I want to pay, and of course having to wait for auctions to end

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    nysavant and Andy Barr like this.
  3. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    never mind about the Coco series being like the TI-99/4A chaining out the side, I miss-remembered. I was browsing ebay to see what's available for peripherals and stumbled across the TRS-80 multi-pak device, so I don't think TRS-80 peripherals have pass-thru like I thought. I'm going to need one, as even the disk drive plugs in there instead of the serial port like I assumed.

Coco2Multi-Pak.jpg

TRS80minidisk.jpg

Andy Barr likes this.
  4. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I think someone is going to need to build an extension to their house :)

nysavant, Andy Barr and M.D.Baker like this.
  5. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    It's in the five year plan. This Coco will go where my 800 is now, and the 800 will go to my new office/shop trailer. The trailer is my extension for now. I will be installing work benches and a desk, so I'll probably have room for the C64, when I get one, out there too. Or move the coco 2 out there and install the C64 next to the 1200XL. Until I build on to the house. I think I'm only going to get a C64 and be satisfied with my Atari 8-bits and the TRS-80 CC2 and a C64 system and that will be it for me for vintage computers.

Andy Barr likes this.
  6. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Suddenly finding I'm completely knackered, will probably do a test later as the people upstairs (not the mad woman) had covid recently. Me, I'm more of an afternoon / evening gamer, used to be way more active in it around 15yrs ago but since the pains etc have got much worse, I tend to do less, but I still do play..

Been playing the Switch version of Zelda: A link to the past, love this game, played it on SNES and other Zelda games on the gameboy.

M.D.Baker and Andy Barr like this.
  7. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Brilliant acquisition there, Matt - an excellent arrival on its way - a Coco2, eh?

Reminds me a bit of the UK Colour Genie, anyone?

[​IMG]

You go steady, Paul, with those aches, strains, pulls and pains as it must be hell enduring that when it's giving it some (I know Richie has a lot to cope with in this department too).

As Paul rightly says though, Matt... you should go for the max with all your extension plans as the way you're going, mate, there will be other machines yet which just *MIGHT* tempt you too!

Enjoy, fella - exciting times.

8. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    I'm beginning to think that anything with a keyboard and a mains plugs would tempt Matt :)

I think we all need a lottery win, and then we get the dream man cave..

Went out to go to Poundland and walked about 20 yards and was breathing very heavy and having a bit of a wobble walking, must have looked like a drunk. So jumped in the car and went that way when I'd normally walk up to the shops for stuff like bits from Poundland.

As for it being hell, well when it's really bad I could almost cry but it's rarely as bad as that but lets just say, if I'm having a rough day then it's pretty uncomfortable to say the least, things like games, washing up etc go off the menu. Sorry to hear Richie has the same sort of issues, it's something I'd only wish on those 'tards upstairs.

At the mo I can pick me nose, surf the net and hold a joypad....So not all bad...But can I wipe me arse..........Yeah, I'm good..

M.D.Baker and Andy Barr like this.
  9. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    As long as you can still wipe your own arse, if I ever can't do that I'll do my best to do myself in as I will never have someone wipe it for me, that's when my feelings of suicide being a permanent solution to temporary problems becomes meaningless as the future would hold no hope under those circumstances.

10. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, I don't see much resemblance between the Genie and the Coco except similar case colors. The CoCo 2 looks closer to the BBC micro aside from colors and I don't think it looks much like it either. ;)

11. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Thank you once more, Rich, for the splendidly-packed parcel you sent last week (only just got round to opening - sorry, busy weekend with the folks down to visit).

As you can see, the two new arrivals here certainly LIGHT up my life and so dad and Johnny will be over the moon with these working babies thanks to you, fella:

upload_2021-9-19_12-46-24.png

(I just now need to interface the two!)

... and here's the tester last night:

upload_2021-9-19_12-47-32.png

Brilliant, Rich.

Thank you so much as you've made three people very happy with these repairs and replacements.

Got a goody for you coming over your way real soon OR personally drop off at yours when we're next up in the north east.

Cheers, mate and have a top weekend.

Vyper68 and M.D.Baker like this.
  12. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I finally moved my new office trailer back home, and parked it in a shady area I cleared. It's 16x8 foot, 128 square feet of floor. It comes complete with electricity (just have to run a line to the main breaker box on a pole about 20 feet away), lighting, air conditioning, electric floor heaters along the walls, fully insulated and paneled, barred windows and door, window shades and even came with a small office refrigerator.
    20210919_104328.jpg 20210919_104350.jpg 20210919_105245_HDR.jpg 20210919_105254_HDR.jpg

I will probably use indoor/outdoor polyester carpeting on the floors, though in a different color than green. I think I've seen red, blue, black and grey colors too. I will probably make built-in work benches and office desk. For now I'm going to install portable shop racks and a plastic fold-up table and my small work table I had to remove from my room to make room for my new chair.

We are going to jack up the building and put a cinder block foundation under it and pull the trailer out to retro-fit as another trailer for the small tractor I'm getting and for hauling junk/brush/wood/etc. My brother will be welding a sheet-metal floor to the trailer with a new Tig welder we are buying for it and future projects. I'll build slatted trailer walls out of wood that will drop in and pull out of the trailer bed via slots for 2x4 lumber welded to the side and I'll get a tail-gate diamond mesh ramp that lifts and lowers in the rear.

Trailers of this size, minus the building, and made for machinery and junk hauling sell for $3000-5000 with wooden floors and 6" angle iron or metal tube walls. So this one will be even better than those. And a small building of this size sell for about $2000-3000, though I could have built it myself for $1000. Still, an incredible deal just with this alone for $1400 worth of lawn service and removal of one 30-40 foot tree (about 1.5 feet in diameter) that I'd normally charge about $500 to remove. Though we'll be putting $500-$1000 into the trailer's retro-fitting.But I also got the small tractor and rider mower in the deal too. I'll be retrieving them soon as well.

nysavant and Andy Barr like this.
  13. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Brilliant - life gets better all the time, Matt!

Happy installing and fitting out.

M.D.Baker likes this.
  14. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    My brother just noticed that the AC unit doubles as a heating unit as well.

Andy Barr likes this.
  15. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    The new OS board and Extended Basic rom for my Coco 2 arrived today, so once I plug it in, with the 64K upgrade I already did, I will be 100% compatible with all Coco 1& 2 software just not Coco 3's, but that's coming...I don't know why the picture keeps coming up upside down here, I have tried three times to correct it's orientation without luck!

20210927_145437.jpg

Vyper68 and Andy Barr like this.
  16. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Matt, my friend, do you sleep?

Always on the go...Fair play to you..

M.D.Baker likes this.
  17. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    There will be plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead, as they say. And too much I need to do and too much I want too do all at the same time. I do actually average about 5 hours of sleep a night, trying to fit in what I want to do after doing what I need to do.

Vyper68 and Andy Barr like this.
  18. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I'm about 6hrs kip a night, Matt, so know where yer coming from.

NEVER enough hours in a day for sures.

M.D.Baker likes this.
  19. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I'm about 6hrs kip a night, Matt, so know where yer coming from.

NEVER enough hours in a day for sures.

20. AlexDrito

AlexDrito Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    upload_2021-10-11_0-1-58.png

Bad news for my last bought C64 - btw it has a UK serial number - that's the initial screen when I first turned it on today. Two flashing cursors! Some character garbage on the bottom, starting title partially correct. Probably the BASIC or the KERNAL ROM must be replaced. Hopefully, it is not RAM chips, because this motherboard features all 4164 ICs soldered to the PCB.

21. M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Good luck on your trouble shooting @AlexDrito , I know I have my own share too.

Well, I've been scarce the last week or two, a combination of work, both business and personal, and my room currently in disarray with the partial exodus to my office trailer (Fujilab). But I have also spent time I would normally spend here on some electronics work I've been meaning to do, more on that in blogs or hardware forums later.

I have also been collecting the "parts" needed for a new project involving my Atari 800, just after finishing up upgrade installations and before I put it back together, due to circumstance, I decided on further work with it. This bit is top secret and will have a reveal when I am done. This will be a big surprise with astonished reactions I'm sure, hopefully at how amazing it is, but astonished in amazement or possibly some might react with astonished horror...

In the meantime, my soldering station I bought a few years ago started having issues with the friction-held solder iron tip falling out from years of drastic temperature changes, and when I could get it to stay, with pressure from pliers for example, I couldn't trust the temperature settings compared to actual tip temp anymore not knowing how good the conductivity was still, and in fact noticed.

So I found a "Black Friday October" daily special on Amazon for a new soldering station, including free same-day shipping. I ordered it at 8 am my time and it arrived by 6 pm.

20211010_191723.jpg

20211010_191646.jpg

Andy Barr, AlexDrito and nysavant like this.
  22. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    They say, "the devils work is never done" but he would be hard-pressed to keep up with you Matt :)

I believe you work in your sleep :)

Andy Barr likes this.
  23. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Alex, get the diagnostic rom and run it, it will most likely say U22 is bad or another chip...At least it may pinpoint the right IC for you.. If its MIT ram then it's a known one to go wrong..

Thankfully the 4164's are still available all over the place at not so bad prices. ALas the soldering / desoldering is most of the fun :)

Longboard C64's are known track lifters..

AlexDrito and Andy Barr like this.
  24. M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Inspiration often comes to me while I lay in bed at night at least...

Andy Barr likes this.
  25. Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Good luck with the breadbin repair, Daz and we all hold our collective breath as to what in tarnation's might rise from the depths of Matt's new trailer service area.

I don't know about getting creative whilst asleep or in one's pit but my mind's working overtime as to what beast is to emerge from Matt's storage location...an 800 with a custom-painted husky colour scheme and four paw-style joysticks?!

Now that would be woof.

I'll get me coat.

AlexDrito, M.D.Baker and nysavant like this.