1. Not old. Vintage. :)

What's new Pussycat too?

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by M.D.Baker, May 4, 2020.

1. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Hi Matt
    Yes they are the one for the 800, plugs into the original 6520 Socket, with the additional 6520 placed alongside, towards the Pokey, forces the use of PokeyMAX for stereo the board has space for an additional 6520/6821 plus additional decoder out lines, and All the Portlines. Port A, B, CA, CB
    But you will be limited to only the address spaces in the D3xx range excluding D300-D30F (original 6520)
    And addresses D380-D3FF as I believe Incognito uses these for some of it's additional features.
    As I've used 16Byte blocks you can add an additional 7 devices, (128Bytes of space /16Bytes = 8 blocks minus one for original 6520) One additional 6520 on board if wanted leaving 6 mounted elsewhere. The 74LS138 which used to reside on the personality board has been replaced with a surface mount chip on the Incognito, you could still solder to this for D600, D700 but not sure if they are used, certainly D100 is used by the CF card interface.
    The 800XL, 1200XL, 65/130XE all designed to plug into the original LS138 socket, adding a very small board with an additional 138, you can select which address block you wish to decode with this. Default D3xx but need a wire jumper or DuPont connectors to change.

M.D.Baker likes this.
  2. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    It sounds great! I can't wait!

Graham likes this.
  3. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I just got a bit of a shock ... DHL requested a further £18.27 Import duty.. that's over half what I paid for the boards and shipping .. thieving goverment..

4. by Vulcanman
    Vulcanman

Vulcanman Cabin Boy

Blog Posts:
    Hi Graham,

Had the same problem with HD disks, kept failing when I formatted them. If I remember correctly, the lower density drives can't produce the required magnetic field. I could be wrong here, so if anyone knows the answer, please jump in.

I have managed to recover 10 disks that would not read, 2 were discarded, one was a copy of an original disk I have, one is definitely a positional problem, and the last was side C of Alternative Reality - the city, this would not load. I wrote another copy from an .ATR but it would not load with the other disks. So I wrote the whole set out and problem solved. On the opening screen it says cracked by Glenn the 5200 man, and my disk from 33 years ago, was supplied by A-HA. This latest set say the same person cracked it, but was supplied by Mr. Micro. Strange how the third disk would not load with the original set I have.

Just a question to all, does someone have the Atari Graphics Demonstrations disk? This includes Robot, Atari Brass, Colours, corridor, Hat, Pictures, Player, Roll, and Sound. I've not been able to find it online.

Did you buy from the states Graham? I bought a Unocart from the Brewing Academy and it cost me another £17 on top of what I paid for the item and postage. Part of the £17 was for the admin fee from The Royal Mail for collecting the import duty.

Now to write all these 33 year old disks to fresh new ones. Oh happy days.

Andy Barr and Graham like this.
  5. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Hi Andy
    Firstly I think your correct in regard the HD disk's magnetic field, disk speed has also been mentioned from 300RPM to 360RPM, and I think one is MFM recording but not sure what the other type is but as I say believe different.. I also recall early harddisks haveing an upgrade to RLL encoding Run Lengh Limited .. PS and thats sad As I remembered without recourse to Mr Google.
    Sorry I can't help with the Atari Demo Program your after.
    In regard my DHL parcel... cost of goods (PCB's) £17.50 DHL Carriage £18.60 total £36.10 however Customs and Excise charge on the total value including the carriage. and additional £ 18.27 so just over 50% of the total cost, I've no idea if a portion is a charge they make or not ..
    Have fun writing out your disks :)
    I ment to ask what the 810 drive went for, did you end up with it or A N other?

M.D.Baker and Andy Barr like this.
  6. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Andy.
    Firstly, the Syscheck II will go out to you on loan tomorrow and secondly I might be able to lay my hands on the Atari graphics demo disk you enquire about...somewhere. If I get chance, and my back doesn't give up, I'll try and trace and send you an ATR. Cheers. Ouch - sorry to hear about the steep import duties, Graham - it really is a kick in the clingle dangles, mate. They hit you every which way and it really does take the shine off our purchases.

M.D.Baker likes this.
  7. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
  8. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:

Ruddy hell, mate.
    With a couple of these fitted, I reckon you just might be able to fly to Alpha Centauri...and back!

Excellent project. I shall get my finger out this very afternoon and give old Richie's CPC464 a ruddy good dusting down from the retro cupboard where it is stored amongst my other family heirlooms, cat biscuits and supply of pain killers for shafted backs!

Wee video to follow, 464 fans!

M.D.Baker likes this.
  9. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Wow, that is terrible, though if my government isn't stealing in the same way, there are plenty of ways they do. For example, the old owner of Chevy Blazer I purchased did not renew tags and license on it for 5 years...guess who got stuck with all the back taxes and fees to get it legal again.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Graham likes this.
  10. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Wow how can that be that you are liable, or is it something that should be checked when you buy a vechcle, some friends of that have purchased a car from a dealer, involved in a road accident; the police checked the car, it was a ringer and had been stolen several years before, they'd had it for maybe 6 months. It was lucky they purchased from a dealer as they ended up with paying them back and having the car conviscated, as a dealer he was also investigated as to whu they had missed that the car wasn't what it should have been.
    Another friend about 5 years ago ourchased a car tuened out it was the front on one car and the back of another, and the whole roof from another. Again they eventually got there money back as it was from a dealer.
    If any had been a private purchase then your stuffed, it's down to you to check.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Andy Barr likes this.
  11. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Just a question to all, does someone have the Atari Graphics Demonstrations disk? This includes Robot, Atari Brass, Colours, corridor, Hat, Pictures, Player, Roll, and Sound. I've not been able to find it online.

Hi, Andy - parcel on its way and here are a couple of files for you to play with - some super duper demos incl the one you were after:

Attached Files:

Graham and M.D.Baker like this.
  12. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I was shocked that I was liable too. But this is a State of Oklahoma law and I never came across such a thing in any other state I lived my adult driver life, including Illinois, Wisconsin, California, Texas and Oklahoma where I have had vehicles licensed. I haven't dealt with vehicles that had expired tags from a previous owner in every state, but I have in a couple and you weren't responsible for anything in the vehicles previous history.

Graham likes this.
  13. by Vulcanman
    Vulcanman

Vulcanman Cabin Boy

Blog Posts:
    Hi Andy,

thanks for the info about Syscheck, and for the disk images. I'll let you know when it arrives.

M.D. Sorry you got stung for someone else not doing what they should have done.

Andy Barr and Graham like this.
  14. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Well it sure seems odd, But I'm aware each states has it's own by laws etc. My I guess Ex - Bro inlaw lives in Downtown Dallas, It's years ago since I visited him there but Texan Laws allowed you to drive at a diffrent speed to any (I think state), different Gun laws such as the Concealed Carry Licence in towns, and seemingly anything goes outside of town.
    I met up with several police officers, when I attended a Shooting range called the Bullet Trap, this was out of town in Plano. So I ended up with there view on firearsa as well, Even loaned me one of there personel handguns to tryout.
    There was a lot of interest in a place that during war time built all sorts of guns, known as the Royal small arms factory
    it's located about 5-6 miles from were I live. We also had the Royal GunPowder factory about a mile from that. apparently in it's day made the best gunpower..
    Hmm gone a bit off track .. I did a bit of driving when visiting Drove down to San Antonio, via Austin, I didn't drive northwards at all Well only to Plano so a little North.. If I driven the same distance North as I'd south; I'd have bumped into Oklahoma City although I gather you're a fair way out to the East towards Tulsa.
    I'm guessing you maybe in the same timezone as Dallas 5 Hours difference, not sure what summer time does to that but changing.
    Enough for now tho.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  15. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:

Sods law i'm away and can't check out the demo's :(
    but home in a few days :D:D

Andy Barr likes this.
  16. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I lived in Canyon Lake,Texas for 11-12 years, right in-between Austin and San Antonio. But yes, Texas highways have higher speed limits than most (not all) states, and many more personal liberties and freedoms in regards to fire-arms and a lot of other things that many states either outright deny or require classes/training/licensing/taxes that for most people is too much trouble or too expensive; exactly the way the state government likes it. I'd still be in Texas if I didn't own land and a home in Oklahoma now.

But Oklahoma is mostly like Texas, but it's a much poorer state due to decades of mismanagement so if they can stick it to you for more money in some ways they do. But they just went the opposite way with fire-arms in the past two years. Before you did have to be licensed for conceal-carry (which is a one-day class and $50-75 dollars for the class and another $25 for the license, so no too bad), while that is still available and required if you want your fire-arm to be concealed, the law has changed to free open-carry and no license needed for the person, though the guns must still be licensed. Before if you had a licensed gun, but no conceal-carry license, the gun could not leave or be used off your own property.

And of course, if you are an up-standing, law-abiding citizen who buys guns through legal outlets and not the black market, like criminals use, then you have to pass a national back ground check before you can purchase the fire-arm.

Graham likes this.
  17. by Graham
    Graham

Graham Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Yea I know all about the back-ground checks etc, as I'd been in discussion with Paul, whom thought it easy to get a licence in the UK. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    In UK Law the checks are onerous, but I feel that they should be, however I'm a little surprised at open carry that's more like Texas, But also a good deterant . (Well I'm kinda guessing at this point)
    New York appears to be a state that makes anything difficult....
    It's extreamly difficult to judge the best way to go in regarding firearms, allowing access to all at least evens the playing field, I.E. citizens are at least equal to criminals , in the UK the balance falls in favor of illegal firearms and the criminals that own them.
    I'd alway er on the side of a handgun in a knife fight.
    Same with a handgun and an Assult rifle
    Same again an Assult rifle and a I'll call it a sniper rifle but single shot very accurate at range Rifle.
    but I could continue until we get to multiple wathead Nuclear missiles ...
    However still topped by a strike from a meteor hitting earth as history has shown...
    Dirty Harry is lost in this 'race' if you can call it that.

M.D.Baker likes this.