1. Not old. Vintage. :)

What's new Pussycat too?

Discussion in 'SIG: General Chat' started by M.D.Baker, May 4, 2020.

1. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Ah walkin COVID catching centres you mean :)

They all are the monster raving loony party as far as I'm concerned..

If you don't vote its considered a vote wasted but if you vote for a person who then does none of the pledges then how is that different..

Lets get some heat on, I'm freezing..

2. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Yes, the projector is solely intended for consoles, the oldest connected being the first 3D consoles from the 90's, and those through either video-to-HDMI or RGB-to-VGA converters/up-scalers. The 8-bit stay only on my monitors on the desktop. Eventually I may hook up my stock 1200XL (once repaired) to the projector for the occasional Space Harrier session or such, but that's it. Any consoles or computers from the 70s/80's not Atari 8-bit computers will eventually get connected to a vintage 19-25" Sony Trinitron CRT TV/monitor for "large screen" vintage console action.

But I really don't mind the the low-res textures and polygons from the first "next generation" 3D consoles like the 3DO, Jag and PSX, they still look amazing to me and much more immersive in their virtual worlds. I actually got my first projector years ago just for the 90's 3D consoles and a new one about every five years since (upgrading to higher def as projector prices fall). Anything Dreamcast and newer just look stunning.

In other news, my robot arm kit arrived today:

20210507_224032.jpg

Andy Barr and nysavant like this.
  3. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Well, I finally got around to ordering the retro Stylophone featured in a video in a thread around here somewhere, that I can't seem to locate. Didn't you create the thread on the Stylophone @Andy Barr ?

Anyway, I had the reproduction of the original saved on my Amazon list and while going through that list for more utilitarian items I'd saved and was ready to purchase, I came across the Stylophone again and decided to buy it on a whim. But as soon as I was in the checkout, they offered up another version, similar retro styling, the model Gen X-1 which includes some control features like envelope, delay, filter and more, and though it was twice the price, I doubled down on my whim. But I couldn't find the model GEN X-1 sold together with a case like the model 1 option, (or whatever it's called) so I then had to triple-down on my whim and splurged for a case for it. Which, of course, will arrive a week after the Stylophone, which I received today.

After I tire of it in 5 minutes, it will be perfect to go in my glass display case with my other 70's (and 80's) retro stuff like the Bally Arcade and the VCS. I'll probably do some project with it using my Atari though. It has headphone and auxiliary mini jacks, so I could always connect it to a sound digitizer on the Atari like The Parrot and digitize the analog synthesizer sound to use as sound effects in a program or as a musical instrument in a music tracker or something like that. I'll have to get a sound digitizer for the Atari though...I'm sure there's some PC app(s) that all the Atari programmers use to digitize stuff these days, like instruments, and convert them to sound files that can be used in Atari trackers or PC trackers made for producing Atari Pokey music, but you know I don't roll that way; I have to do it all on the Atari.

20210514_130833.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  4. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    This little piece of retro tech is actually brilliant. At first I thought it was a piece of cow dung and I got ripped off, because I could barely hear it and it was cutting in and out. But after putting in freshly charged batteries and locating the volume control, I started sliding the stylus across the pad and spinning the controls left and right to see what effects I could produce, suddenly, I was listening to "music as played by Krell musicians over 16 billion years ago" and the next thing I know, I'm making all those cool futuristic-space-alien-background-sounds from a cult favorite of mine, 'Forbidden Planet' and there's suddenly Leslie Neilson is whispering in my ear "don't forget the Id."o_O Now I just have to experiment and find the settings so it sounds like the Doctor Who theme song!

It has a little built-in speaker that sounds o.k., definitely good enough to recognize the instrument I am playing is the same technology as an analog synthesizer from the 1950's they used in that Disney movie. I'm sure theirs was the size of a stand-up piano though, not hand-held.
    Luckily, it has both headphone and auxilary mini jacks so it can be attached to a more substantial sound system and speakers

.It will probably sound amazing through my 1980's JVC rack Quad stereo system with 500W amp and at least 12" woofer speakers, plus the 3 & 2" mid and tweeters. The speakers are currently disassembled and the cabinets being restored though, and I haven't gotten back around to finishing yet. I do have the JVC system set-up in the system cabinet, ready to be plugged in and rocked once the speakers are finished.

20210514_170401.jpg

Once upon a time it had an equalizer component as well, but that was a casualty of the Texas storage robbery. Yes, you are seeing 2 separate cassette components there, each with different features and abilities.With both of them (instead of a dual-deck)and the equalizer is was a world-class cassette dubber, etc. I forget how it all worked together, but I think it may have required the equalizer as a manager of sorts. Of course way up at the top is the turn-table, which had a brand new needle installed in it before it got packed away about 7 years ago. I'll have to see if I can find the old manual for the system...and another equalizer component.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  5. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Matt,

That's a wicked hi-fi set-up to hook up to your newly acquired thing of retro techno electronic synth beauty the good old STYLE, sorry Stylophone - brilliant combo, matey.

By god, I bet all the lights in Oklahoma County dim when you crank that up to 11!

Here's the original post, mate:

https://atari-owner.com/club/thread...-at-you-from-out-of-the-future.500/#post-4116

Please do let us have some vids/recordings of your new musical magnificence in full flow when you get chance.

M.D.Baker likes this.
  6. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Andy. The case for the Stylophone arrived a week earlier than expected. With just enough extra space in it's width to fit the audio out cable I provided. I had it connected to my 1200XL's PC speakers earlier and it sounded 100% better. So I'm expecting an exponential improvement once it's connect to the Hi-Fi.

I discovered new sounds eerily similar to blaster sounds from Star Wars. Though I remember hearing/seeing in an old Star Wars documentary that they made the blaster sounds from hitting a beam on an electrical tower (the big cross country type) and recording it. Which I in-fact, proved to myself and younger brother, as kids, when I did the same thing to an electrical tower myself and did indeed get a very loud Star Wars blaster sound.

This was done while visiting the grandparents, which happens to be the land I inherited and now live on, and that same electrical tower sits but 50 meters from me now.

20210515_153617.jpg

Klyde, Andy Barr and nysavant like this.
  7. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Hi, Matt.
    Stories which take us back to our wonderful childhood days (I remember visiting my gran's with my home computer and being so happy there just chilling out and having a different 'freedom' to that normally granted to me at home) seem to appeal to us greatly. I can just imagine you and your kid bro experimenting with creating sounds by clanging one metallic object off another and... well, letting our imaginations run riot.
    You're gonna have so much fun with all this kit once you start unleashing those creative juices.
    Do let us see and hear the results, bud!
    It's a terrific acquisition - I am right now being transported through time and space to...

THE FORBIDDEN PLANET!

M.D.Baker likes this.
  8. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Don't let the knowledge that it was fronted by a paedo in the UK put you off :)

I brought a new release in a Charity shop a year or so ago...Still sounded good..

M.D.Baker and Andy Barr like this.
  9. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Yep, all of those sound effects in that scene I can recreate on my Stylophone, except maybe the electrical current discharge effects.

Andy Barr likes this.
  10. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Well just as I moved my 2600 and Harmony Cart out the door I have picked up a refurbished 800XL. Now the 130XE has to go to pay for it! Don't have any emotional connection to the XE like I do with the 800XL which was my first computer. I've still got my original but want to keep that standard while doing various upgrades to the incoming one.

On other notes, picked up a fully boxed Pole Position for the 2600 (still got a 7800 that I can play it on) and a Scart adaptor (a freebie from CEX!) for my XBOX classic console. I've vastly trimmed down my computer and console hardware in the last while so now want to concentrate on picking up a couple of games, mags and books. I'm actually finding it good to have less systems as I'm enjoying spending what limited spare time I have at the moment fiddling with this more 'curated' collection.

Nearly forgot, rescued an old Nokia 14" crt and have the recent Amstrad 6128 acquisition plugged into that, gives a really lovely picture. I'll post up some pictures later this week if people want? It's not a looker like an Atmos, but is a very tidy computer nonetheless.

Also adding slowly to my recently renewed Subbuteo and Roy of the Rovers habits but I won't bore you guys with that too much lol.

Now thinking about a Stylophone - thanks for planting that seed Matt!

Have a good week everyone :)
    Al.

11. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Excellent progress report, Al.

Yes, I'd like to see your Amstrad 6128 and CRT set-up, mate.

Fire her up and fire away with a few pics, fella.

Seems everyone's after a Stylophone these days!

Standby for some out of this world tunes from these little beauts coming up soon.

12. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    No tunes from me, I'm to music what Michael Jackson was to child care...

The stylophone was just a retro kick but a nice one..

Shame its dented by the thought of Rolph Harris saying "can you tell what it is yet?"

Yes I can Rolph, its your hard on..Piss off you nonce..

Talking of slapping little balls around, I really would love to have embraced subbuteo more as a kid, liked it from the miniature model stance but was rubbish at it. As said I liked to make model aircraft and space ships and then light them with grain of wheat bulbs etc..

Hey ho...

Andy Barr likes this.
  13. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Maybe it's because I'm American, but I've no idea who Rolph Harris is, what his quote is about or how he's "dented" the Stylophone's reputation or apparently left an emotional scare on you, Paul, which seems to make it distasteful for you. And I definitely don't want to know in any way, shape, or form please. Of course I can guess at what it's about from your inferences, but since that is only words on a screen, I can ignore and forget them. Though I've never been psychologically effected towards any product just because some reprobate used it in some disgusting or nefarious way, just the reprobate doing it.

So, sorry to here some history with the thing and that person has soiled it for you. Don't get me wrong, I know we aren't talking about some deep psychological scare, but just a trifle of a thing that puts you off slightly, of course.

14. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Another Stylophone uber stylistic hit...

nysavant and M.D.Baker like this.
  15. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    and you've just gotta dig these retro arcade hits...

16. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    Don't worry Matt, I'm not scarred by that gentleman's involvement, its purely that I'm musically tone deaf so having one and being able to play it was miles apart. The said Mr Harris is an Australian singer / artist who was big on family and kids tv over here during the 70's and 80's but like so many of those decades in the BBC he took advantage of the kids he was supposed to be entertaining, this all came out when a fellow BBC favourite called Jimmy Saville was found to have done the same but on a huge scale and the BBC decided to hide all this because he was a 'national treasure, and a goldmine for them.

A very nasty affair..

It's a shame people like him are linked to things you want to enjoy but I still listen to Michael Jackson stuff despite all the stories as I can separate the musician from the alleged stuff.

My post was supposed to be a bit of a bad taste joke but if it gives the impression that I'm affected by it all then my prose was the dented part :)

Being a dad I obviously don't like to hear of kids being taken advantage of but when I see kids being entertained on the TV I don't instantly think 'paedo', no one has time to think like that...

As for the stylophone, I could just about play the sample tunes where they pointed out the notes to play, I was not destined to be the next Rick Wakeman :)

Now that I think about it I don't know where it is..Should really find it to get the battery out before it leaks..

17. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    All I'm doing is making noise and sound effects with it so far. Though musical talent runs in my family, I only ever learned a few guitar cords in my 20's when I was hanging out with a friend and his band in California in the 90's. I had an acoustic guitar at the time, but I think that was lost in storage in Texas. I've long forgotten it all anyway. Besides doing sound effects and maybe digitizing them into the Atari at some point, for be to actually play music on this thing like in the videos, I'd have to find some sheet music made especially for Sytlophones (or analog synthesizers) that show the right place to touch the Stylophone for the notes and since I have a version with adjustments, I'd also have to find what the normal Stylophone is set at to make it sound the same. I can't read music, though that is something I want to learn, with my Atari, if such a program exists, I don't know if any of the musical creation programs actually teach musical notation or not. And I also want to get that guitar tutor program Thunder Mountain published for the Atari to learn to play the guitar again, once I get another guitar. I'll probably just download ATR's though, and see what's what before I look for a genuine article.

And on that note, I received a couple new toys again today, the first being Atari's Planetarium that I decided to get a complete copy of for $15 after playing around with the ATR. And the other item is a smart watch that I can use with my Android phone to keep up with calls and texts and not have to have my expensive smart phone in danger's way while on the job. I got the smart watch on clearance for $15 too! So if it's a piece of shite or gets broken on the job, I'm out $15 and not $200. I have yet to turn it on and set it up and try it.

20210517_144947.jpg 20210517_145215.jpg

Andy Barr likes this.
  18. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Couple of nice new acquisitions there, Matt.

The Atari Planetarium takes me right back to 86-87 and life in my batchelor pad flat on the coast and using that software to print out star charts to the Atari SMM804 and gaze up in wonder at the night sky and be able to name some of the stars for a change. It's a great bit of educational software and I believe it also has Halley's Comet data programmed in as it made its return that year.

I know nowt about Smart Watches though so does it do things like measure your pulse at rest and when you're playing Star Raiders II? Does it make a cuppa tea and help with musical notation?

We need to know more data, mister!

I've just bought a bloody star projector for £15...maybe they saw me coming, I'm not sure.

I'll feedback when the darn thing arrives but I just thought it would be "different" to create some kinda romantic light show ambience as we come up to our 2nd wedding anniversary as Bev said she did not want ANOTHER tape for our Oric collection...I just can't fathom modern wimmin, can anyone else on here?!?

Enjoy, Matt - great bit of truly educational software there and both items a great price to boot.

nysavant and M.D.Baker like this.
  19. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Basically, the smart watch is a remote extension of your smart phone and connects and syncs with your smart phone via bluetooth and it notifies you of voice messages and texts and calls and you can answer and dial your phone remotely, it has a camera on it and pictures are sent to you smart phone, clock, calendar, anit-lost location search for phone on watch or watch on phone, timers for reminders,pedometer for exercise and a sleep monitor, built-in MP3 player or connect with phone through BT for music playback (it only has a USB input on the watch, so I'll probably have to get a special BT or USB headphone set to use with it for that), and you can connect with facebook, twitter and Whatsapp if you install a SIM card in it(none of which I need, so I won't) and apparently it has a web-browser that I can surf the net with, again, if I install a SIM card. I don't know if it's just for memory and I can use any old SIM card, or what, the instructions are pretty thin and in broken English coming from China. But all I need it for is all the stuff that doesn't require a SIM card anyway, just BT syncing.

Andy Barr likes this.
  20. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Atari Planetarium. Wow, a proper blast from the past.
    Think I might need to add a copy to my A8 wish list :)

21. by nysavant
    nysavant

nysavant Deckhand

Blog Posts:
    Well, the 800XL arrived today. After a few teething problems getting a decent picture it's now setup in its new home.
    The only thing not working is the LED power light which is kind of annoying as my other XL has the same problem lol

1621435072576.jpg

(please ignore my balls)

I'm going to try advertising the 130XE on Facebook and Gumtree first so that I can show it working to any potential buyers. If you know anyone around Glasgow looking for a new old Atari I will give a finders fee :)

https://www.gumtree.com/p/atari/atari-130xe-computer-with-sdrive-max-complete/1405453222

Andy Barr likes this.
  22. by Andy Barr
    Andy Barr

Andy Barr Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    Fabtastic, Al.

Shame about the power light but other than that, she looks a beaut your new 800XL.

Your 130XE ad looks slick too - I reckon you will receive offers as the SD max certainly offers so much more for the retro games player in terms of instant gaming action and if the offers are anywhere near your required £175 then I'd accept, matey.

Good luck with all that and balls to anyone who doesn't like your Subbuteo collection - they obviously haven't lived and flicked to kick...

[​IMG]

Quiz question, fellas - name these two 70s/80s ex-football larkers - one played for Scotland and one for England.

nysavant likes this.
  23. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    One is Mick Shannon (right)

Is the other Peter Lorimer?

The LED should not be an issue, meter the leads to it to see if the 5V is getting there and its a bog standard 5mm (?) LED, cheap as chips...

24. by Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine
    Paul "Mclaneinc" Irvine

Blog Posts:
    I was half right, Channon, had forgotten about the other guy (been a while since I heard his name)

Andy Barr likes this.
  25. by M.D.Baker
    M.D.Baker

M.D.Baker Chief Officer

Blog Posts:
    I bought my complete, but used copy in excellent condition for $15 on Etsy, and shipping was a bit more, all in it was under $20. But I could have done better. I was browsing Video61's disk software list yesterday and I see they have NOS copies of it for only $12.95. That might not be a bad price for even you, depending on shipping.

http://www.atarisales.com/compdisk.html

Orders these days are all through e-mail, no phone calls or online checkout. But Lance is a great guy to support.

nysavant likes this.